Acoustic guitar bridge pins

Krunek
Krunek
07/18/2006 4:34 am
Ok, I hope I posted this in the right section. Here is the thing. I Have a Fender Stratacoustic (Junk, if I may add... It has a great, nice warm sound, but after a few years my frets are worn out, finish started cracking... obviosuly not for gigs. Should be used as a wall decoration. Anyway, I am gonna play it till it is totally for garbage, then, if God willing and financial situation allowing, gonna get sometnihg else. Considering I just enrolled college, most of my gig monex and salary will go there, so that will not be any time soon, but...)Back to the topic. Damn, I have a big mouth. Talk too much. One of these days that is going to get me in trouble. Nyhowz, almost every time I change strings on it, I broke one (or more) of bridge pins when pulling it out. Ok, I have never been known for having a gentle hand (a shame to admitt it, being a guitarist) but, knowing that myself, I pay attention when pulling out the pins. And still I manage to brake them. Any of you had similar problems? Some advices on that?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
07/18/2006 11:22 am
Hm... Well, if you're not using a pin puller... I suggest getting one. Don't use pliers... Secondly, make sure that you're completely loosening the strings onthe guitar before you pull the pins... Third, be gentle with any side to side movement. You may have to wiggle it a little to get it out but be careful you're not moving it too far that you break the shaft off.

With that said... I'm assuming you install the strings correctly.

Now... don't take offense... but if you happen to not be installing the strings correctly, it could be binding the bridge pins in the pin slots. Make sure that the ball end of the string is completely in the hole... Then push the pin in. The ball should pull up against the tip of the bridge pin when you start to tune the guitar. You may have to hold the pin in place until the string creates enough tension to hold it there...

If this is how you're installing your strings you shouldn't be breaking bridge pins....... However, guitars are very finnicky with stuff like that... If these tips don't work... Let us know.
# 2
Krunek
Krunek
07/18/2006 11:33 am
Thaks dude. Uhm... Well... To be honest... I am using pliers. Always thought a pin puller was a waste of money... better to get a beer with a guy in the music shop for that money. :eek: I was obviously mistaking... Damn. Thanks man. I shall get one. As for the other part, I am doing everything like you described. Ok, I"ll get one and next time i change the strings, we shall see.

Thanks, Aschleman... If any of these days you happen to be in Croatia, beers are on me... ;)
# 3
ren
ren
07/18/2006 12:07 pm
Not sure if it's the recommended way, but I usually change all my acoustic strings at once, and push them out fom inside the guitar rather than pulling the pins....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
aschleman
aschleman
07/18/2006 6:28 pm
Maybe I'll vacation there sometime... just so I can get some free brew. haha. I'm always down for a drink.
# 5
Krunek
Krunek
07/19/2006 4:57 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanMaybe I'll vacation there sometime... just so I can get some free brew. haha. I'm always down for a drink.

I am always down for drink(ing). He-he... No sweat dude.I have never been cheap when it comes to paying drinks. And, hopefully, never will have to be.
Us croats are all like that; especially in my county.
Thanks again!!
# 6
Krunek
Krunek
07/19/2006 4:59 am
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspNot sure if it's the recommended way, but I usually change all my acoustic strings at once, and push them out fom inside the guitar rather than pulling the pins....

How do you get the new ones on? Same way, from inside of the guitar? Must be pretty hard.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.