PODxt firmware update

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/12/2006 1:41 pm
For all of you who have a PODxt, I highly suggest you download and install the newest version of the firmware. It's version 3.0. I installed it last night, and was sooo glad I did. The new firmware comes with 6 new amp models, 7 wah models, and 4 new stompbox effects. The main reason I updated was because of one certain amp model... the original Modern Hi Gain #1 from the POD 2.0!!!!!! This has always been one of my favorite tones of all time. However, I tried not to get my hopes up, because I figured that I would just be let down by some poor immitation. This was not the case though. I was actually quite impressed with this new remake of that juicy tone monster of the 2.0. Is it exact? No. Is it close enough? YES! I was able to get an awesome tone instantly with no external help from EQ's or overdrive pedals. I haven't tried out any of the other new models yet, but I'll get around to that tonight and try to report back.

This probably won't help you much, since settings don't usually transfer too well from one person to another, but here's how I had it set.

Amp: Modern Hi Gain (Soldano SR88)
Cab: Marshall 4x12 w/ Vintage 30's (can't remember the specific name)
Mic: 421 with around 15% room
Drive: 40-50% (using a guitar with a Duncan JB in the bridge)
Bass: 55%
Mid: 90%
Treble: 75%
Presence: 0%
EQ: band 1 (low shelving) -2 roll off around 60-70hz
band 3 +1.4 around 1.8Khz (bands 2 & 4 left alone)

For some extra gain, or to tighten things up a bit, use the tubescreamer stompbox model with the drive pretty low, and the gain between 50-75%, and the tone around 10-20%. You might also want to turn the EQ off, or use band 2 to cut just a little around 800hz if adding the screamer adds some unwanted mid tones (I don't recomend this though).

I also tried out an MXR ZW-44 overdrive and an MXR 6-band EQ pedal infront of the PODxt with this amp model, and both sounded great! All of the new wah models sound great aswell.

Here's a link to Line 6's page about the update: >PODxt v3.0 Firmware info<

More to come later, and possibly some soundclips.......
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
polansky
polansky
07/12/2006 5:19 pm
I agree, the new firmware it's pretty nice, one thing I didn't like bout it is the Bender stomp (that emulates a Digitech Whammy) I wanted so much a pitch shifter cause it sounded like a lot of fun, but later I dicovered that this stomp doesn't work with chords only with single note playing (when you do chords you only get this electronic tidal wave of tones).

Does this happen with the real whammy? or is just a thing of the emulation?

Anyway, get the last firmware, more amps, more stomps, some pretty cool stuff actually Line 6 does good stuff and having the PODxt with old tones is a waste (did I mention is FREE!!!).

The only thing I noticed is that I found the download (I check line 6 page once or twice a week for new stuff) I get the newsletter but they never told a word bout the new software, so keep checking cause they missed that one.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/13/2006 8:07 am
my impression of the digitech whammy that you use it mroe with single strings and perhaps powerchords, but if u pump too much info into it, it spits back garbage (like turnin the drive to max on ure amp). Correct me if i'm wrong.
# 3
polansky
polansky
07/13/2006 2:04 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosemy impression of the digitech whammy that you use it mroe with single strings and perhaps powerchords, but if u pump too much info into it, it spits back garbage (like turnin the drive to max on ure amp). Correct me if i'm wrong.

It's right, just that is the bender stomp on the POD xt new firmware, my questuion is, does the "real" whammy does the same?
# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/13/2006 2:08 pm
u mean like a whammy bar?
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/13/2006 4:58 pm
I have a Digitech whammy IV and the Boss PS-II. You can't really use them on chord or double / triple stops or it sounds like ass. You can happily take stuff up a couple of half steps but other than that ....blah !

Generally if you are going to use them on clean sounding guitar, IMHO, do the shift quickly as the single will break up !! If you are using a lot of distortion, well, it will sound just fine !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
polansky
polansky
07/21/2006 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseu mean like a whammy bar?

Nop the whammy pedal.

But the post after yours answer the question, anyway thanks dude.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.