Do you think these guys ruined it the music industry?

Joseph
Joseph
08/10/2001 4:11 am
Throughout the eighties, it's safe to say that I was a huge fan of the rock scene, (the hair bands if you will.) Despite the cheezy image that a lot of people curse today, most of these bands could play their instruments very well, and the singers had perfect range. Some people thought it would never end.

But just like every good thing, there's always an unhealthy trend, and there's no way you can fight it. Toward the early 90's, people desperately craved for a change, and that's what they got when Nirvana came around, A trio of rebellious musicians who were on a mission to destroy every band in their path to get their messages across. And most of the bands just laughed this overall conept off. But befre we could blink, the scene of music changed in a big way, where the costumes and make up were no longer important, a rough style of punk rock fused with energy was the new dominating power. And Nirvana was ready to lead the way.

I've had many conversations with people all across the globe who claim tha Nirvana ruined it for other bands, and they took good quaity out of the musiic indusrty. But still, although I really enjoyed the bands from the eighties, once Nirevana came onto the scene I was immediately pulled in by their fresh sound. It's safe to say that there aren't many die hard eighties metal fans who truly appreciate grunge. Well, I guess I'm special, :).

Which starts the question as to whether or not Nirvana was the downfall of music? Well to be honest, a lot of the bands from the eighties metal scenbe were becoming rather tame and predictable and I think Nirvana's success was due more than just the fact that they were at the right place in the right time. It was due to the fact that people suddenly recognized pure honesty in the music industry, something it was missing for many years. I think Nirvana;'s music just reminded us that It was okay to be ourselves, and that we didn't have to follow some sort of trend to succeed. And that it was more than possible to succeed on your own terms, it's just that too many musicians were afraid to try.

But It's obvious that many musicians missed Nirvana's overall message, where they immediate began to think that they didn't have to try hard to be successful. But they missed the point, because what worked for Nirvana doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. The difference is that Nirvana weren't trying to fool people, they were comfortable with themselves and what they set out to accomplish.[i] It would nbe nice if musicians today could find more comfort in their hearts, instead of their check books...

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/13/2001 5:08 am
Originally posted by Joseph
. . . and I think Nirvana's success was due more than just the fact that they were at the right place in the right time.

You got that right.

Now I'm not one of those zealots that hates Nirvana and loves 80's music (in fact, I can't even stand to listen to the crap anymore), but I think that with Nirvana and on into the 90's, with all the so-called "grunge" rock, popular music definitely took a turn for the worse.

Fortunately, I think we've finally come out of that "phase".
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.