dirty chords

hetfeild
hetfeild
06/28/2006 9:59 am
havent bin here in a while so gday crew. kinda hoping u could answer some questions. how do i correctly use a plectrum, because it keeps slipping out of my fingers when i strum quickly and when i do this how come my chords sound scratchy, especially powerchords on the a d g strings, i know im probly hitting the e string so how can i clean my playing up to scratch. i know there kinda weird questions but its been annoying me and my hopes of practice making perfect havent fulfilled.
really appreciate info, thanks
# 1
epifone lp user
epifone lp user
06/28/2006 10:44 am
hey um sorry but basically practice more is all i could think off
with your pick there is no real right or wrong way
is it slipping because your hand is sweaty if so you could just get some special pick to help sweat or youcould do what i do and just drill holes

hope it works out
# 2
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/28/2006 11:46 am
I cured spinning and dropping picks by using the F-1 Picks.
http://www.f1pick.com/

Might Help.
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/28/2006 1:37 pm
Pick Slippage--

Here are a few tricks to help with the pick slippage.
1-Drill/Punch Holes (already mentioned)
2-If you smoke, rub ash on your fingers (dries the sweat)
3-Take an emory board and rough up the edges that your thumb grips.
4-Carpet tape

Strumming-- Try these as warm ups for 1 month.

Pick a chord, any chord.

Play all down strokes

1 measure each of quarter notes, eighth notes, Triplets, 16th notes. Play slowly and evenly and focus on hitting/hearing all strings clearly.

Play down and up strokes.

Same as Above.

Play down and up strokes.

Same as above but this time palm mute/ or "chunk" the chord every other beat.

Example.

D U(X) D U(X)

Then Reverse the last 2 exersises. Start with an Up stroke first and alternate between the Up stroke then Down stroke.

Pretty basic exercise but if you are persistant in your practicing and really focus on playing the strings fully and not cut corners this should help.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck and Rock on.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 4
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
06/28/2006 3:57 pm
Pick Slippage was a problem for me for a long time...even with drilling holes and emory boards....until I tried the Ultex Pick by Dunlop...it ROCKS! Not only that but I can't tear this pick up. A fender pick is shredded in a few days of use..I am on the same Ultex pick I got from a friend even though I have bought a few more bags...mainly to give away to friends.

As for hitting the right strings when strumming....I found trying to play some easy SRV songs helped. Cold Shot comes to mind....the rhythem is a pain at first but it helped me focus on hitting the right strings at the right time. Also, Cat Scratch Fever is a good one to help with that too.

Anyhow the above post is good too, cept I can only do so much "drilling" and then I gotta play. I try and find songs that empahsize what drills I am working on at the moment.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 5
ren
ren
06/28/2006 4:21 pm
I use planet waves picks (i think they're 1.05mm - blue ones), and pretty much accept that they fly out of my hands sometimes when playing live. I find them better than dunlops though. I scratch grooves in them with a knife, which helps the grip.

The guy who taught me when I was a kid told me I should hold the pick loose enough that it flies out of my hand now and again.... I don't lose many, and now my legato is OK I can always play without a pick until I get another one.

When you say practice isn't making perfect for you, how long do you practice a day, and give us a rough idea of what makes up a practice session for you. You're better off with 30 minutes of focussed practice than with 8 hours of 'noodling'...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/29/2006 9:26 am
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickI cured spinning and dropping picks by using the F-1 Picks.
http://www.f1pick.com/

Might Help.

whoah wtf! mite be perfect for me! can you play fast with one? like as in does it feel like a normal pick when ure economy picking a riff, or do you have to change your style a bit to accomodate?
# 7
ren
ren
06/29/2006 9:37 am
just looked at that F1 site - seems a bit gimmicky to me. If I'm looking at it right, it's a pick stuck in a plastic 'grip' that better fits your finger contour?

What happens when playing live and your pick is glued to the grip but you've knackered your pick sliding around? More of a hassle to change?

You can pick fast with anything - I know people who use paper thin picks and bend them to make them more rigid for speed work, and I know people who use like jazz III pickups that are like holding a brick.

Are people's hands that much sweatier than mine that they need to have a pick grafted to their hand? :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
hetfeild
hetfeild
06/30/2006 11:06 am
yeah thanks, my practice is normally running through som riffs that i know and play alot, then just making up cord progressions so i finger the chords right, open, and powere chords, then i bust out some scales and put som hammerons and bends in scales. im only just starting out. but i do this whenever i pick up the guitar, ive writing some songs just with chords. that pick problem is it moves out of position and spins, so ill give wot uve said ago.

thanks

cully
# 9
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/30/2006 11:49 am
just looked at that F1 site - seems a bit gimmicky to me. If I'm looking at it right, it's a pick stuck in a plastic 'grip' that better fits your finger contour?

They offer several pick holders but the actual pick is a one piece design with a curve that cradles the pointer so it can't spin. It is also a little thicker than a standard heavy fender pick where you hold it. This works great if your like me and can't feel a regular pick in your fingers and tend to hold it to loose. On the first page of the site there is a little animation of how to hold it. I think it comes in medium and heavy.
# 10
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
07/01/2006 12:25 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosewhoah wtf! mite be perfect for me! can you play fast with one? like as in does it feel like a normal pick when ure economy picking a riff, or do you have to change your style a bit to accomodate?

You can do anything with these picks you can do with a standard pick. If you want suicidalmoose email me your address and I will send you one to try. I bought a pack of 6 and still have a few left. If you like it you can order some, if not mail it to anyone else interested. I think there great and I only use F1 picks now.

Email:webmaster@theonlineimage.com

By the way I'm not affiliated with F1 in any way.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.