when to play 7th & 9th?

Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
06/28/2006 3:01 am
I have been learning to play the "Blues" for over a year.
I have learned several of the pentatonic boxes in several keys.
Now I am learning "Blue Chords" to go with my leads.
My instructor has taught me the 9th chords.

Example: G7-C9-D9. What is nice about using the 9th chords, is
they all can be played within 3-frets, which I can do without looking down
at the neck.

Most of my Blues Guitar Chord books show all 7th-chords (G7-C7-D7),
which requires moving up & down to multiple fret, which would require me to look at the neck.

My question is: when do you use 7th-chords and when do you use 9th-chords? :confused:
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
Fender Stratocaster EC spec
Gibson Les Paul Std 50s neck:cool:
# 1
ren
ren
06/28/2006 7:43 am
I throw in the occaisional 7th - 7th chords tend to fit with standard major & minor fairly easily. Diatonic Harmony for Major chords and 7ths is the same except in 7ths the fifth scale degree is dominant, where in standard major it's major.

9th's are trickier as you'll find the added ninth often doesn't come from the key you're playing in, so it sounds wrong. Sometimes this can work anyway, but they almost always sound 'outside' to me.

If anyone has the secret on ninth's, I'd like to hear it too! :D

I've substituted add9 chords in standard progressions before, and that works well for a different sound...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/28/2006 1:50 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp
I've substituted add9 chords in standard progressions before, and that works well for a different sound...

Correctomundo.

I play allot of blues and blues based stuff and what I have found (IMO) is that the 7ths are used mostly for the slower songs or songs that require chord fills. The 7th lends itself easily to use your finger more within the pentatonic scale position.

ALA Jimi--Little Wing, SRV--Couldn't stand the weather, Los Lonely Boys -- How far from Heaven Main Rhtyhm(actual chords are G and AM) are some good examples.

9ths tend to be played more for up tempo songs since the finger groupings are closer together and as you have noticed can be played easier.

You may also notice that the 9th is used more in the "turnaround" of the blues progression.

I also read somewhere that different blues genres--Delta, Chicago, Memphis, Texas Blues are sometimes classified by the chords they use and if memory serves me correctly the 9ths were commonly used more in the chicago style?

Your question was when is the correct time to use which one? I am more inline with ZRP had to say -- Whatever sounds good. Blues is like jazz -- Music of the Moment. If it sounds good don't worry to much about why, just........go with it.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
Hamberg
Hamberg
07/04/2006 4:20 am
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspI throw in the occaisional 7th - 7th chords tend to fit with standard major & minor fairly easily. Diatonic Harmony for Major chords and 7ths is the same except in 7ths the fifth scale degree is dominant, where in standard major it's major.

9th's are trickier as you'll find the added ninth often doesn't come from the key you're playing in, so it sounds wrong. Sometimes this can work anyway, but they almost always sound 'outside' to me.
If anyone has the secret on ninth's, I'd like to hear it too! :D

This is wrong.

You should know that a 7th and a 9th are extensions of a triad. The extension name and chord is not based on the scale so much as the chord and key signature.

Lets cover some ground first:

It helps to think of a musical staff instead of your fret board. The theory is based off of the staff. The type of interval (the root, 3, or 5) is determined by the staff. Words like Major, minor, augmented, or diminished are derived from the number of half steps or whole steps on your instrument.

The triad is a root 3rd and 5th. By definition its a 3rd stacked on top of another 3rd. These are your basic barre chords.

The root for a specific chord never changes

The 3rd can be either major or minor. Occassionally it might be augmented or diminished. However in a major scale and its relative modes the thirds are always either major or minor.

Every diatonic 5th is perfect (meaning to never change.) The exception to this rule is a chord whose root falls on the 7th degree of a major scale. The chord that falls on the 7th degree of a major scale always contains a diminished 5th.

Triads In a nutshell...
...There are 4 basic types of triads:
Major (1, 3, 5)
Minor (1, 3m, 5)
Augmented (1, 3, 5aug)
Diminished (1, 3m, 5dim)

When you are playing an extension of a 7th chord all your doing is adding another 3rd to your triad.

In the major scale, only two chords have a major 7th. The first degree of the scale (or tonic) is a major 7th. The 4th degree of the scale (or subdominant) is a major 7th. These chords are major triads with a major 7th added to them. The seventh is a major 7th in relation to the root, not its preceeding 5th.

Three chords in the major scale are minor 7th chords. The chords are build on the 2nd 3rd and 6th scale steps (also called modal steps.) A minor seventh chord is a Minor triad with a minor 7th added to it. The 7th is a minor seventh in relation to the root, not its preceeding 5th.

There is one dominant 7th in the major scale. It falls on the 5th scale degree (also know as the dominant scale step.) The dominant 7th is a major triad with a minor 7th added to it.

The last diatonic 7th falls on the 7th degree of a scale. Its called a Half-diminished 7th. Its a diminished triad with a minor 7th added to it.

Altogether there are 7 different types of 7th chords. The other three are non diatonic. And I dont remember them, sorry.

Ninth chords employ the same concept as the traid and 7ths. You just add another 3rd to the 7th chord that you are already playing.

9 - 7 = 2 (the 7 comes from the amount of diatonic notes that fall within an octave without counting the octave.)

What this equation tells us is that the 9th of a chord is the chords 2nd + an octave.

So for a 9th chord based on the 1 degree of the scale, you would play a major triad plus a major 7th plus a major 9th. But for a 9th chord based on the 3 degree of the scale you would play a minor triad + a minor 7th + a minor 9th. The ninth is minor because the interval from (in scale degrees) the 3rd to the 4th is a minor second. In terms of scales, the 3rd has an interval of a minor 2nd, and the 7th has an interval of a minor 2nd. The rest of the scale steps have intervals of major 2nds. 2nds translate to 9ths.

I am not familar with the different names of 9th chords or the rules to naming them. But I am pretty sure that there are 21 9th chords. Some of them dont sound like ninths though, some sound like inversions of different chords.

If your asking when in the song structure or when in time (the arrangment) to play 9th chords and 7th chords, thats more of an artistic then theoretical idea.

A lot of blues and jazz songs play only 7th chords and exentions based on those (like 9ths.)

Alot of rock songs play strictly triads or even less (double stops (intervals.))
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 4
ren
ren
07/04/2006 8:07 am
Sorry, you're quite right....

What I was driving at is/was that the ninth doesn't fit in some progressions, so can only be substituted on certain scale degrees and sound ok to my ear. Of course the ninth scale degree is in the scale... :eek:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
07/07/2006 2:10 am
I honestly can't say that there is a "correct" time to play a 7th or 9th chord, however there are many tendencies throughout blues music that I can draw an answer from.

1. If you are playing rhythm and there are many other instruments accompanying you...piano, another guitar etc. you may want to be careful with the application of 7ths or 9ths because they may interfere with the overall "musicality" of the piece. You don't want conflicting melodies and 7ths and 9ths tend to do that if there are many other instruments involved.

2. However the application of these chords are greatly valued in playing where the guitar is the lead instrument. The principles of Voiceleading and creating melodies can be complimented by 7th and 9th chords, or atleast when the added notes are needed in the melody.

These are just a few things, but I hope this helps. Peace.
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.