I think its called Chicken Pickin?

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
06/23/2006 1:33 pm
Ok, so I was messing around with AC/DC's Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.....

I prefer the sound in the intro when finger picking the progression, but switching to a pick mid way to get the crunchy sound afterwards is frustrating. So I decided to use my middle and ring finger to "finger pick" the intro so I could keep the pick in place for the switch.

It worked ok but I noticed alot of fret buzz. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Anyone have any tips here? Its new to me so I am sure thats part of the problem but are there things specifically to look out for?
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 1
ren
ren
06/23/2006 1:40 pm
Holding my hands up, and possibly causing an outcry - I don't know this tune so cannot say for sure.... but...

It sounds to me like you're hybrid picking - using pick and fingers. Chicken pickin' is the use of thumb and fingers (it's called chicken pickin' because the hand position kinda looks like a chicken's head). Gives you what I'd call a hillbilly kind of sound... I know Zakk Wylde does it, but he's a bit of a hillbilly!

At a guess, is the fret buzz being caused by your frettng hand fingers not being close to the frets as you play as you're concentrating on the other hand?

There is nothing I can think of with hybrid or chicken pickin' that would cause fretbuzz... to fix it you're gonna have to go slow and figure it out. I can say for sure there are no secrets with picking technique, it's just practice to refine your skills....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
jreach
jreach
06/23/2006 2:16 pm
Ok now I am embarresed...I didn't even check my fretting hand cause I assumed I knew what it was doing....will check tonight when I get home.

I bet thats what it was too.....never really look at my fretting hand anymore when playing simple songs like that one....will take a look.

Thanks. Also thanks for the clarification on the terminology.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
06/23/2006 2:59 pm
If when you finger pick... you're getting your fingers around the back side of the string and plucking it outward from the guitar... rather than up and down along the guitar... you could be creating vibration by making the string vibrate into the fretboard rather than parallel to it... basic finger picking tip.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.