I need advice with my IbanezGAX70's weight distribution.

right here
right here
06/23/2006 4:41 am
One of my Ibanez guitars' weight distribution is all off. I love sitting and lounging around the house or studio with it in my lap, but with a strap........well, let's just say the neck is too heavy, or the body is too light. The neck seems to want to follow the laws of gravity. You basically have to hold the neck up to even reach it. It's sort of the same shape as my Gibson SG. But on the SG, the strap button is on the back of the neck plate. I feel if I put a neck plate on I'd get better results, but don't want to mess it up. I need some advice from a fellow musician or tech.

Thanks
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/23/2006 11:29 am
i have the same axe and it happens as well...but never really affected my playing...cud be the length of the neck and the lighter weight of the body (as u said)...but i dont see how to overcome this than just...holding the neck up a bit while playing
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
ren
ren
06/23/2006 12:02 pm
You could always attach a sand bag with a piece of string to the strap button at the other end to even it out... :D

Sorry, no sensible suggestions...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
06/23/2006 12:58 pm
I got the same axe, same problem. Its the design of the guitar that forces it to do that. I did learn that from now on I throw a strap on a guitar before I purchase it to see how it hangs.

I have thought about taking out one of the neck screws and replacing the top of it with a strap lock and bolting it back in....either that or moving the back strap post.

Of course I haven't done either and still play with it standing up and I am happy with it. Doesn't drive me nearly as nuts as trying to sit and play my strat....stupid finish is so silky smooth that it slides off my leg all the time.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.