POD XT live it's really that good?

polansky
polansky
06/20/2006 9:43 pm
If anybody owns a line6 pod xt live, would like to know if it works good for you, I have one, like it but never really tried it with some serious amp, only with a very small Laney combo that I have, sometimes I love the XT sound and sometimes I feel it's like flat, hollow sounding.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
06/21/2006 2:57 am
I do not have the Live model but I have the xt model (red kidney bean) I swear by mine. The sound is great out of the box but wait till ya figure out how to tweak it.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
ā€”SRV
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/21/2006 4:56 am
Yep, what he said: I too have an XT, so almost the same thing just different controls. It especially excels in recording direct, but any amp is going to effect it's sound alot (compared to headphones or recording), so you'll have to tweak them together in unison. Some players will just plug straight into the PA system and skip a typical guitar amp altogether. I'm considering buying two 10" monitors with just a power amp...slightly cheaper too.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
polansky
polansky
06/21/2006 4:16 pm
My way of making distorted sound (with pod XT live) is this:

First get a nice loud clean sound (get it nice with a modeled small tweed amp, cranked up) after that, get a ditortion pedal on (prefer the ones with mid range contolable level, I happen to love Dimebag's distorted sound and has a lot of midrange frequence that helps to achive a nasty gha gha gha when you hit palm muted strings).

And after al that, get the leveles right with EQ, (more control over the allready distorted sound), maybe add a reverb or little chorus (not much, like my noise kinda dry).

Does anybody has a different way, (or a better one), or a suggestion over cleaner definition cause my guitar (7 string shecter guitar) tends to get kind of undefined sound.
# 4
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/21/2006 10:25 pm
I have the Xt Live and it requires tweaking to sound right live VS recording or headphones. I have used it through my little 25 watt tube amp and the same setting is a bit different through the headphones. However, the sound in the headphones and the sound through my 100w power amp and a set of monitors is very close.

So bottom line you will need to tweak when playing through an amp or you can just use the pa system. I have heard the Atomic amps are made specifically for amp modelers and the bean fits into the amp. I have never heard or used one so I can't give you any specifics.

As for getting good tones through the POD Tweak,Tweak,Tweak..... And use the EQ to clean up the sound. I find the pods distortion is to distorted for my taste (muddy) but I can usually clean it up with the EQ.

Hope that's of some help.
# 5
polansky
polansky
06/22/2006 2:42 pm
I used to think "there's no such thing as a too distorted sound" but now I get it... as the matter of fact too distorted guitar sounds are very unpleasent, started to like more the kind of sound that you may call "tight".

How does tight sounds?... Lamb of god sounds tight, Jhon Petrucci rhythm guitar sound on Heavy tracks, tight, Greg Tribett of Mudvayne...****...tight as a nuns ass, many examples of tight sounded stuff.

The thing is... how do you get that tight sound? how does it feels like a brick wall without so much distortion (that give so much clarity and definition to this guys sound), is it gate?, is it compression?, volume is the thing? (according to Zack Wylde it is...), or is it a matter of fretting/mutting/picking technic.
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
06/27/2006 3:19 pm
try using a good tweed model, with a good low sounding distortion like a big muff.

that always gets a great punch on my rig.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/27/2006 3:30 pm
Doesn't the "sound guy" or the final mix down produce, if you are recording, some of the sounds you get or are trying to acheive?

I do know that sometimes what comesout of your amp can be recorded and sound totally different in a good way after you have someone tweak it for you.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/27/2006 8:01 pm
Allways have to throw my 2 cents at the PODxt posts! I hate my PODxt.... there was a while there when I spent a lot of time tweaking and I thought I was going places but no matter what I do I just find the tones unreal and synthetic. To my ears the PODxt comes nowhere close to a good amp. I also have a Triaxis which blows it out of the water completely and a Boss GT-Pro which is leagues ahead... that just me though, a lot of guys love them. My advice is to spend an hour or two in a shop experimenting before forking out the cash. Tone is a personal thing after all, you either love the POD or hate it.
# 9
pure
pure
06/27/2006 9:15 pm
well what can you expect from a little box? i think its still worth the price for all that stuff. but is the ffake-ness really that much noticable? cause on the line 6 site i don't notice.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 10
polansky
polansky
06/28/2006 12:46 am
What can I say? , do I rather have a Mesa dobuble rect half stack instead of my XT live?... of course, even a mid sized roland amp (you know, the one with 2 speakers, damn I've hear a small 30watt cube and sound sooooo good) but the thing is I CAN'T AFFORD RIGHT NOW A DOUBLE RECT...

Can you tell the difference between them?, I'm not an expert but hearing a real big fat amp against a computer generated tone... c'mon we are not deaf, and sure we are not idiots.

Bottom line I have to say my pod xt gives me a lot of fun, gives me options, lots of efects (that if purchased one by one could coast me a fortune), wha pedal, pitch shifter (i wish I had a digitech whammy pedal...) but in the end I feel like when I have my double rect (or maybe a Krankstein...mmm...sweet) I feel that I'll understad better how to get good tone out of it. Think of the pod xt as a crash course over amps you can buy today.
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/29/2006 2:43 pm
The thing people tend to forget is, the POD's are supposed to sound like an amp that is being mic'd in an isolated room, with you being in the control room listening back on the studio monitors. Is this going to sound like an amp would sound if you were in the same room as it? No, and neither would a real amp. For recording purposes, using a POD, or something similar, is just so much easier than trying to mic a real amp, and the tones usually tend to be better (unless you have access to a decent recording studio and/or the knowledge of how to properly mic and mix an amp [which most people don't]).
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
polansky
polansky
06/29/2006 9:58 pm
Bro, you just hit the spot.

Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThe thing people tend to forget is, the POD's are supposed to sound like an amp that is being mic'd in an isolated room, with you being in the control room listening back on the studio monitors. Is this going to sound like an amp would sound if you were in the same room as it? No, and neither would a real amp. For recording purposes, using a POD, or something similar, is just so much easier than trying to mic a real amp, and the tones usually tend to be better (unless you have access to a decent recording studio and/or the knowledge of how to properly mic and mix an amp [which most people don't]).

# 13
JimAC
JimAC
07/01/2006 11:12 pm
Well, I really love my PodXT Live - I use it for home recordings, and for gigging. In both situations, the sound is pretty damn good.
OK, it's not perfect perhaps but that's no problem, coz neither is my playing!
I have mine set up in "direct to studio" mode all the time and use it live plugged straight into the PA. I've tried it through a couple of guitar amps and, once I'd set the POD up right, and sorted out the amp's EQ, that sounded fine too - but it's better straight into the PA, where the amp modelling comes into its own.

So, is it really that good? I wouldn't want to be without it, that's for sure - so in my opinion, yes it is that good.

:)
# 14
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/03/2006 11:32 am
I have an Xt Live and love it...I am now trying to adjust all of my settings to exclude the amp models, and still sound good so I can use it for live stuff with the amp sound of my Thermion.

we'll see what I do to it...but it sounds good through the effects loop of my Thermion, and it sounded good through the front of my Laney Vc50 and it sounds best DI into a Boss multitrack
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 15
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/03/2006 12:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI have an Xt Live and love it...I am now trying to adjust all of my settings to exclude the amp models, and still sound good so I can use it for live stuff with the amp sound of my Thermion.

we'll see what I do to it...but it sounds good through the effects loop of my Thermion, and it sounded good through the front of my Laney Vc50 and it sounds best DI into a Boss multitrack

have u got the solid state thermion or the tube one? what's it like (sorry for breakin the topic)?
# 16
Serpentor
Serpentor
12/30/2007 6:27 am
I'm also a proud x3 live owner. Still working on tweaking it, and trying to find some good use for the reverse preset...
-Serp
# 17
ronbelluso
ronbelluso
12/31/2007 2:40 am
if anyone is interested, found a video of a guy using the pod x3 live from some different amps. While the audi quality isn't amazing, it can give you some ideas quickly.

Pod X3 Live Video
# 18
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/31/2007 2:32 pm
Lots of people like them but I hate them, sold by XT and some other stuff and bought a Rocktron Prophesy II (the best pieve of gear I have ever owned - no need to upgrade ever again) - it is so insanely far ahead in terms of what it can do and the sounds it can make IMO. However, its all in the ear of the beholder. Try the POD out in a music shop using headphones (not through a massive rig with a tube poweramp) - that's what it will sound like at home.
I would recommend the Boss GT8 and GT-Pro, the Vox Tonelab and the Digitech GNX4 as being ahead of the PODxt for realism. The one thng the POD xt wins hands down in the customer supprot and downloadable features and upgrades - very impressive but not enough to swing my overall vote.
# 19
johndenner
johndenner
01/08/2008 6:50 pm
The POD XT PRO seems to be very effective through a good set of studio monitors!

You just really have to tweak the settings and effects to get the right tone!!

http://www.johndennerrocks.com
Ernie Ball Musicman for life!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.