Pure Guitarra

pure
pure
06/12/2006 1:49 am
For those of you who have been following up on my website, Pure Guitarra (in my sig), my web cam came today.

Pure Guitarra is sort of like freelicks.net, except It's not gonna cost a penny for anything there. also, this is forum-based so you can also add video lessons if you like there.

If you wanna submit a video lesson, put it up in the lesson discussion forum (video on youtube, link to it) and i'll look over it, and if it's easy to see the video, comprehendable, and nothing's wrong with the tab, then I'll move it over to the lesson section.

pure guitarra is different from guitar tricks on the fact that it teaches complete songs/solos, which as far as i know, isn't allowed here.

Ok so just head on to Pure Guitarra and sign up on the lessons/forums section and give me some support, you know?

alright later, and thank you for reading this.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/12/2006 1:55 am
Aargh, no! I clicked on the link, got the loading bar and the "Done" signal, and I've still just got a page of white nothingness. :confused: :(
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
pure
pure
06/12/2006 2:32 am
hmm i have no clue why. it works for me. well, try this:

http://www.freewebs.com/lanceart
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/12/2006 3:59 am
Sweet, that one works. I'll check it out.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
pure
pure
06/12/2006 6:07 pm
i was gonna start recording today but my dad came home early from work, and he likes to sleep and stuff. plus my sister smashed my lamp :mad: bad day...
I'll try tomorrow.

what kind of song lessons do you want there? metal, classic rock, solos, songs?
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2006 6:30 pm
How are you going to deal with the copyright problem?
If you're posting full songs you have to license each one from the publisher or they'll hit you with a major lawsuit & shut you down.
# 6
pure
pure
06/12/2006 6:38 pm
well I'm not gonna do full songs. I'm gonna either do the solos from a song or the rythm from a song, if you get the idea.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2006 6:50 pm
Yeah, they've got some funky rules when it comes to instruction sites.
I've read the copyright law a dozen times and still get confused.
And I still haven't heard of anybody actually getting sued yet & it's been what?, a year since they showered the internet with doom and gloom predictions for all the "illegal" tab sites.
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/12/2006 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: purei was gonna start recording today but my dad came home early from work, and he likes to sleep and stuff. plus my sister smashed my lamp :mad: bad day...
I'll try tomorrow.

what kind of song lessons do you want there? metal, classic rock, solos, songs?

I'd be interested to see your rock lead chops, I for one need to improve my rock and metal lead skills (or lack thereof).

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/12/2006 9:25 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeYeah, they've got some funky rules when it comes to instruction sites.
And I still haven't heard of anybody actually getting sued yet & it's been what?, a year since they showered the internet with doom and gloom predictions for all the "illegal" tab sites.

Can't you just pull a "Vanilla Ice"?

Make sure you do not post anything exactly note for note and you can always say it is not "exactly" like the original. Remember Under Pressure vs. Ice Ice Baby. What, a 1 note difference in the bass line?

Lets face it. Guitar instructors have been teaching their students "songs" from different artists for EONS.

To become an actual "flamenco" guitarist don't you have to go to Spain and train under someone there that is an "actual Flamenco" guitarist? I have also heard that they do not write the music you need to learn but require you to learn from listening.

I beleive in copyrights but sometimes I think musicians forget their roots and their beliefs once the $$$$ rolls in.

If their song is posted on the internet as a tab for others who love the music and want to learn it but can't afford lessons so and so on. Then let it be. I would be personally flattered that someone would want to play my music. Why bitch about it??

What about blues??? If there is ever a genre of music where everbody is playing some one elses song this is it!!!
The difference, I think< is that the musicians will always give credit where credit is due and not try to claim something that isn't theirs. (I am sure it happens but for argument sake come on......)

Hey Slash, Joe, Vai, Petrucci, Young,Hettfeild etc etc. to infinity and eveyone else!!!

Get off your laurels and post your own tabs if you do not like others doing it.

As long as you are giving props to the original writers who really cares?

Bad enough I have deal with the taint of Gore "creating the Internet" to have the music industry tell me what I can or cannot write or post or share with others that have a common interest as myself. "thought crime" anyone?

What, I can sit in my living room jam out on a tune, teach the riff to someone else and it's ok? -- OR IS IT?!?!?!!?

Are they going to break into my house with guns ablaze becuase I have about 15 different spirals with chord charts, tabs and lyrics that I have been collecting all these years?

It really chaps my......... as you can tell.

I say just do it. As a matter of fact I will create my own site just to prove how much disdain I have for this "issue" of --"don't post [U]anything[/U]" or I can't afford the fuel for my private jet crap -- thank you Lars Ulrich.

I'll get of my Podium (no soapbox for this) and unplug my PA.

I swear if I ever make it "big" I will coat a CD with MP3's and all kinds of crud just make sure it spreads across the internet .
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 10
pure
pure
06/12/2006 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeYeah, they've got some funky rules when it comes to instruction sites.
And I still haven't heard of anybody actually getting sued yet & it's been what?, a year since they showered the internet with doom and gloom predictions for all the "illegal" tab sites.[/QUOTE]

what sucks is i go get guitar pro and then mysongbook has to shut down. I'm not even sure if they got sued or they're doing it as a precaution.

[QUOTE=jiujitsu_jesus]I'd be interested to see your rock lead chops, I for one need to improve my rock and metal lead skills (or lack thereof).

sure.. although my first lesson's gonna be the hotel california solo.. because its easy to learn and sounds good to me.

and jimmy_kwtx that is too long to quote but i agree with you 100%. i just am too lazy to teach a whole song and solo.

Remember guys you can contribute lessons to my site too if you want! I'll take anything as long as its understandable.
# 11
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/12/2006 9:38 pm
Tell you what Pure.

I have visited your site and I think it is looking really good and would like some opinions when I get mine up. Great graphics by the way.

I would be honored to have something posted to your site.

PM me when you get a chance and we'll go over what I could possibly submit to help you out in getting this thing started.

# 12
pure
pure
06/13/2006 2:38 am
cool. I'm finally done tabbing. it took like an hour since there are no proper tabs for it anywhere. and guess what, I'm not gonna submit it to any sites. now all i need are my videos and i can start organizing the lesson.
# 13
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/13/2006 10:43 am
i don't think you'll have a trouble with copywright as long as you're doing "your version" of the songs, and i mean the timing in the tab might be slightly off even tho all the correct notes are there, would that work?
# 14
pure
pure
06/13/2006 1:12 pm
hell, i'll just add an extra off key note 5 seconds after the song's over.
# 15
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/13/2006 3:12 pm
or an impromptu solo in the middle :P
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/13/2006 3:48 pm
There's no hard and fast rules about it. It all depends on what happens in court. If somebody decides you've breached a copyright... even if you've just done a 'similar' sounding song... they can take you to court. Then it's up to the justice system to decide whether you're guilty or not.
To do that, the publisher will bring in a bunch of experts and musicologists to prove their point. Basically, it'll cost you thousands in lawyers fees whether you win or not. Some people take the risk because they know they can afford it cause even if they lose, they still come out ahead.
If you can't afford to defend yourself, don't take the chance.

For instance, there was a commercial recently that used a song really similar to a famous song from the 70's. It had different notes, different chords etc.. but the sound was the same because the drum beat and reverb sounded identical. When you heard it, it reminded you of the original. The producers of the commercial got sued and basically settled out of court for huge $$. Plus they had to replace the fake song with the original one and pay a licensing fee.
They knew if they went to court that they'd lose big time.
# 17
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/13/2006 5:07 pm
Ahhh, copyright law... one of the hottest topics for guitarists and one of my pet subjects. :)

Originally Posted by: jimmy_kwtxCan't you just pull a "Vanilla Ice"?

Make sure you do not post anything exactly note for note and you can always say it is not "exactly" like the original. Remember Under Pressure vs. Ice Ice Baby. What, a 1 note difference in the bass line?

Again in 1990 both MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice released records. MC Hammer sampled' Superfreak' after obtaining a licence and although he had to pay out a large but undisclosed amount of expenses to the original artist, the record was a hit and he encountered no problems. Vanilla Ice however sampled the most identifiable riffs from David Bowie and Queen's song 'Under Pressure' for his only hit from his LP entitled 'In The Extreme'. The samples however were not licensed or even credited. As it is generally accepted that readily identifiable riffs or hooks in a song are what generates the sales, the similarity of Vanilla's track to the original would lead it to compete directly. The case never went to trial, although it is believed that after a threatened law suit from 'Under Pressure's' copyright owners Vanilla Ice settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. When the single 'Under Pressure' was re-released in 1992 by Queen, notes on the sleeve credited David Bowie and pointed out that the piano and bass had featured on Vanilla Ice's single. It would seem that Queen do not want other people to profit from their work, but do not mind using other peoples work to promote their own. This just shows the low esteem the users of samplers are held in.

(from http://www.low-life.fsnet.co.uk/copyright/part3.htm)

Also:
As for the bass player, bass lines are commonly the very simple repetition of just a few notes, hardly worthy of being called a melody. On the other hand, some bass virtuosos like Charles Mingus or Jack Bruce created very original and complex melodies, clearly entitled to being registered for copyright. Whether a particular bass player makes a contribution to a particular song that could be entitled to copyright protection must be determined on a case-by-case basis.

(from http://www.jacobowitz.com/whowroteit.htm

Interesting article to read
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/13/2006 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggman

Interesting article to read

There's an extra "http"code in your link so it leads to a search engine.

Here's the right link:
http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/law/library/cases/case_swirskycarey.html
# 19
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/13/2006 7:23 pm
Great points all around.

Isn't it a moot point?

No body has mentioned charging ($) for anything.

PUH--LEEEEEEZE.

How many clubs/bars have you gone to and the house band plays "brick house" or some other poular song. Nobody is sueing anybody for this, and the band playing is getting paid (so $ is changing hands).

Isn't that all you are doing when posting a "tab" of how you play a certain song? But with out the fee?

Hell it's not like Pure is creating Napster.....Or is he????????? :confused: (You sly dog you).

This is like music theory, Politics, and gossip all rolled into one.

But sure is fun to rant and rave about !!!!!! :D

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.