Sanded Guitar

pure
pure
06/07/2006 11:03 pm
Hello, earlier i posted about sanding and stuff and today I'm finished sanding the paint off the front of my guitar. so its wood-front and black-back.

its just bare grain wood on the front. i want to put a finish or something over it so that it doen't give in to moisture. I also want it to shine. i don't care if whatever i put on it makes it darker. in fact i would like it darker. as dark as possible while still being brown and still showing the wood grain.

my sister says get wood stain and stain the wood. if i should do that, do i need to put something over the wood stain to protect the stain and shine?
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 1
pure
pure
06/08/2006 2:29 am
WELL YOU KNOW WHAT? I DECIDED TO LOOK UP THE PICK GUARD STUFF MYSELF CAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE NO HELP!! SO I GOT THIS PROGRAM!!! YEA NOW WHAT?!?! SO THEN I DID STUFF AND GOT THESE:

...I still need advice on how to finish it and stain it and stuff... anybody...
# 2
redspecial
redspecial
06/08/2006 8:10 am
i think "gomme-laque" is the best for it...
it takes time for apply but ull get the best result. thin n durable, also lookin great...

is it for your starcaster btw?
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 3
pure
pure
06/08/2006 2:21 pm
i was joking around. I didn't expect anybody to come help me that fast so i figured i should find something that can show me how a guitar looks like when i mess around with it. and i did. i mean i sorta thought its pointless asking other people for a good pick guard to buy because everybody has their own personal tastes. but i know nothing about what I'm supposed to do to the wood. man i never get angry over the internet cause i know people have better things to do than give advice to some kid they've only known for about 7 months.

Originally Posted by: redspeciali think "gomme-laque" is the best for it...
it takes time for apply but ull get the best result. thin n durable, also lookin great...

is it for your starcaster btw?

yep. how much would that cost me? when i google it, all i get are some foreign websites.
# 4
redspecial
redspecial
06/08/2006 3:26 pm
Originally Posted by: pureyep. how much would that cost me? when i google it, all i get are some foreign websites.

i dont know man, u can search it as "french polish" for more results...

olso theres some oils alternatives can be used for xtra thick natural finishes... im not sure the name of oil stuff, everybody calls it with different names... tik oil, tick oil, chinese oil... only thing im sure, its made from a special kind citrus seed..
# 5
pure
pure
06/08/2006 4:18 pm
well i want to get a natural finish but i also want to get the wood a little darker. the wood's bright as beach sand. i think its ash or alder wood. i want to make it more dark brownish but still have it looking like wood. if that makes sense.
# 6
redspecial
redspecial
06/08/2006 5:10 pm
Originally Posted by: purewell i want to get a natural finish but i also want to get the wood a little darker. the wood's bright as beach sand. i think its ash or alder wood. i want to make it more dark brownish but still have it looking like wood. if that makes sense.

u need that oil thing... i saw an applied one, it was like roasted surface of a steak... like smthin gettin wet n turn darker but same transparency in texture...

i wish i can say any brand or name about it... :(
# 7
pure
pure
06/08/2006 7:31 pm
Originally Posted by: redspecialu need that oil thing... i saw an applied one, it was like roasted surface of a steak... like smthin gettin wet n turn darker but same transparency in texture...

i wish i can say any brand or name about it... :(

sounds like wood stain.
# 8
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/10/2006 1:24 am
Check this site out. http://home.flash.net/~guitars/basics.html You need to lacquer the guitar. I just finished building a strat style guitar and did it in wood grain. I used min-wax brush on lacquer. Not as good as spray lacquer but it worked. This is a long and tedious process, so take your time. I listed some other sites that may help as well. Good Luck and be patient.

http://home.san.rr.com/mab/sagakit/sagakit.htm
http://www.guitarfrenzy.netfirms.com/Strat01.htm
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/kitbuild.html
# 9
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/10/2006 1:53 am
The pictures not great but here is my guitar. I was still setting it up that's why the strings aren't cut yet. This one is stained but you don't have to stain it.

# 10
redspecial
redspecial
06/10/2006 2:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord Nick

i like the shape of headstock man.. :)
# 11
pure
pure
06/10/2006 3:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickThe pictures not great but here is my guitar. I was still setting it up that's why the strings aren't cut yet. This one is stained but you don't have to stain it.

that's exactly how i want mine to look like. black pick guard and all.
but my wood is very bright, like ash or alder, i don't know what it is. what stain would i need to get that color?

anybody know how to get a sunburst or is it too complicated?
# 12
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/10/2006 4:35 pm
Redspecial: Thanks. I made the headstock template in Illustrator and then used the template to cut it out. I wanted to engrave a design in it too but was afraid I would screw it up.

Pure: The wood on this body is Basswood. It was very light. Almost white in color. I used Minwax Early American wood stain. I brushed it on heavy and didn't wipe the excess off. If you want it lighter I would use a rag to apply it and use a clean rag to wipe off excess. The minwax stain is in any hardware store here on the east coast of the USA. I'm not sure where you are and of this products availability, but any good wood stain should work fine.

If you have any other questions I'll do my best to help.
# 13
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/10/2006 4:49 pm
Pure: Here is the pickgaurd set up in this guitar. I like it but you can check the site out for yourself. guitarfetish.com The unit is hand wired with 500k large pot controls and Premium Texas Strat pickups http://store.guitarfetish.com/prtestseourb.html They have some sound clips you can checkout. I also used the Wilkinson locking tuners on this rig from the same guy. Not great but better than stock tuners. For the back trem cover I had to find one on ebay. I wanted a black 3ply to match the pickgaurd.
# 14
pure
pure
06/10/2006 5:49 pm
Well I'm in Florida so I can probably find it at home depot or something.

and about the pick guard, i already have pickups and everything, i just had a white pick guard and i didn't like it, so i'm just gonna keep the electronics and ecxhange the pick guard with a black one.

this guitar would look nice with a sunburst. right now i'm researching it but if you know how to sunburst or any websites that can help, you're welcome to tell me.

this looks simple but he's using lacquer spray paint.
http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/sunburst.html
can this be done with spray paint and then clear finish last? or will that turn the wood to a completely solid color?

or can i put more wood stain near the edges than on the center?
# 15
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/11/2006 3:42 am
I only did this one guitar so far so I'm not sure on the burst thing. You might be able to use an Ebony Stain on the edges to get the effect and still see the wood grain but it would be a total experiment and if it doesn't work it's tough to remove stain. Lot's of sanding.
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/11/2006 4:06 am
I wouldn't recommend trying too do a sunburst on your first attempt. Its very hard to fix a mistake.

I think you would get your best/easiest result by using gunstock oil to seal the wood after you stain it. This gives a smoth, satiny finish that is easy to maintain and is very easy to apply. Just rub it on with a soft cloth.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17
pure
pure
06/14/2006 7:13 pm
its ok i don't really care much about that guitar and i know its a risk and all but i want to do a sunburst. i don't care if the edges show wood grain or not, but i want the center area to show wood grain.

my question was can i use regular spray paint on the edges or will that not work out so well..
# 18
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/14/2006 9:20 pm
Here is a tutorial on bursting and this company also sells the supplies to do it. I recommend you read it a few times.

Sunburtsing A Guitar
# 19
pure
pure
06/14/2006 10:02 pm
yea thats awesome. very similar to this

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm

thanks.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.