Theres no harm in finding common ground, or is there???

Joseph
Joseph
07/30/2001 2:18 am
With Neil Diamonds attempt at success one more time, I can't help thinking about how much I really hated his music as a child. My mom always loved him, but I thought his music was just so boring. But as Ive gotten older, I must say this guy has a very interesting life, and although his music isn't very rebellious or attractive for youngsters, he is a well accomplished songwriter. Nope, you find his records on my night stand, but I must say Ihave much more respect for this guy now than I did years ago...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/600748.asp?bt=prgy

For a lot of reasons we feel compelled to run the other way wheever we're stuck in a car with mom or dad, especially when they are in control of the radio...:eek:

A lot of us are afraid to give the music that our parents listen to a chance, because in more ways than one we feel the music we listen to is kind of an expression of our personallity. But still, our parents have been there before, they have felt the excitement of going into a record store, and purchasing the latest trend, being the first one to see the most popular singer/songwriter in concert as if theres no tomorrow. Although it may be difficult to appreciate the type of music our parents listen to, still we could learn a lot from them. And in some ways, we are already naturally very much like them.:eek:

With our family, we're not always on the same page, they're not always intact with out world, and its safe to say the traditional family is almost completely gone. But still, with our parents, theres no harm in finding common ground, whether its sports, or music, or even politics. For as far as I can remember, Ive always appreciated the music that my mother grew up on, she has great tastes from classic rock, to The Beatles, and even folk music. While you were growing up did you go out of your way to rebel against what your parents like, whether it was music, politics, religion etc?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/30/2001 9:56 am
I've never felt the need to rebel against my parents really, and as they have never told me to turn that racket down or anything, I don't deliberately provoke them. Both my parents are very much into classical music, which I really like too, and jazz, which I love. However, my mother cannot stand rock music at all, except for the Beach Boys and Daddy Cool for some reason. I know she hates it when I am at home playing the electric guitar, but she never complains, and always just finds other things to do if I am practising.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
08/09/2001 3:05 am
MTV ws doing a whole thing about Slipknot one day and my dad starting watching it and loved it. He looked at all the guys running around in chaos on stage and loved every minute of every song. I have never seen him into that kind of stuff that I enjoy. But I do have to give credit to my dad for first introducing me to such older bands as Guns n Roses, Eric Clapton, and LedZeppelin. I'm only 16 now so I started singing along to "Paradise City" when i was about 4 years old.
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2001 9:53 pm
My dad used to make my brother and I sing "Money For Nothing" when we were really small. Kinda funny now that I think back on it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Jack Tamble
Jack Tamble
08/09/2001 10:47 pm
My dad taught me "purple haze" when i was 15. I barely knew who Hendrix was then, but he helped open a door for me. And just when glam metal came out. Im not sorry to say i barely noticed the pretty bands. hehe Either way, I was fortunate.
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning"
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.