A little trouble with fingerstyle

Heartbreaker313
Heartbreaker313
06/02/2006 10:55 pm
I've been trying to learn songs that have a main "sound" with moving bass line, such as songs by Tommy Emmanuel and others, but something is hindering me.

I have this tendency where my thumb does what my other fingers do, or vice versa. Take for example, the arrangement of Daytripper by Tommy Emmanuel (A powertab can be found on ultimate-guitar.com) The song calls for a moving bass line with an accompaniment that goes by quarters, played by the rest of the fingers. I can't maintain that accompaniment's rhythm when I play the bassline. Rather, I have the tendency to either speed up the accompaniment to playing by 8ths or just stopping then resuming once the bassline slows down.

I also have this problem with both hands, where one hand tends to do what the other does, which is why I thought piano was hard.

Is there any good ways of getting rid of this habit?

Also is there some special way of using a thumbpick to avoid the bass notes from overpowering the other notes?
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/03/2006 9:30 pm
Hey, it's good to see another person on GT playing some fingerstyle. :)

The moving bass line is the hardest part of learning to fingerpick. If you're having trouble coordinating complex lines, it sounds like you need to briefly return to the basics. Mentally divide your picking hand into two parts. Your thumb is independent of the other fingers. When you're fingerpicking with them, they have their own roles in a "call-and-response" sort of arrangement; the thumb plays a bass note to define the chord, and the fingers elaborate on that bass note with some higher stuff. I found that the best way to start was with a metronome. Set it to a nice slow simple timing, pick a basic major or minor chord, and just start playing one bass note on the first beat of each bar. When you fall into the rhythm, you can start elaborating on each bass note by "responding" with other notes played by your fingers. Don't try to get too fast or complex too quickly - you may even need to start with just one bass note and one corresponding higher note per bar. Hopefully, this will get you into the swing of coordinating your thumb and your fingers while fingerpicking.

Don't know if that was of any help :o, but yeah. Enjoy.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
Heartbreaker313
Heartbreaker313
06/04/2006 2:19 am
Thanks for the help =)

I tried practicing by playing by quarters with a bass note and by eighths with the higher notes and vice versa. I'll slowly make my way to not following the metronome =)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.