X-FI and recording

MarkLench
MarkLench
05/29/2006 11:53 pm
I recently put together my home computer based studio and its turned out excellent. In all my research on putting it together I could never find much on using the X-fi. Well it does work and works real good. I did try a presonus firebox which worked ok but the mics sounded like trash, probably weak preamps and it had some other bugs which I didnt like.

My reason for posting is hopefully it can help someone else out. I have a homebuilt computer with a AMD 4800 dual core 2 gigs of ram on a DFI MB, watercooled with the X-fi card. What I did was run a Mackie 12 channel mixer to the X-fi digital input and out to my KRK monitors. Im using this for my Strat, Korg TR61 and mics and it works great no latency and I can use the sound card for other things besides recording. I realise there are better dedicated interfaces/soundcards out there.But this is an excellent way to go for people who already have this sound card.This is all playing nice with my Sonar 5 Studio and FL studio and the output is excellent Having been in the music biz 20 odd years ago and just recently getting back into it Im still amazed at what you can put together for a home studio today for a fraction of the price it would have cost ya 20 years ago. Oh and thanks for all the good info around here lots of good stuff from good people on these forums.
# 1
markc2005
markc2005
05/30/2006 5:54 pm
sounds good you wil have to post a few samples
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 2
MarkLench
MarkLench
07/15/2006 5:24 am
Just a little update, I recently upgraded to an EMU 1820m and boy there is one heck of a difference in the sound quality. While the X-fi "works" you will get better results by moving up to a dedicated audio interface like the 1820 it sure sound great especially after comparing the two. Oh and Mark I will post some tuneage first Im working on getting rid on many years of rust LOL. Id like to put something up that isnt too insulting to the ears :-)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.