Guitarists That Are Jerks

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/25/2006 1:49 am
You ever know anyone who plays guitar but is a hugeantic jerk ok so theres this guy beenh takeing lessons for about 4 years has his parents to buy him the best gear. then there is me have to save money for gear dont even have a job have never had a lesson in my life only had a guitar for 3 years and for the first year i didnt play it more than i did play it. so this kid thinks he is better than me although his songwriting skills are horrible his soloing and improvising skills, garbage the only thing hes got is speed which we all know is the least important part of guitar also i dont want to sound cocky but my improv soloing and songwriting sense is wayway way better than him and even if he is fast im either almost as fast if not faster but i used to be a jerk too and i think i know whats going on one of my friends wrotwe something decent and i told him it sucked eve n though it was pretty good cuz i was kinda jealous of how he was doing good and yes i know that was a huge jerk thing to do but im totally over it now and i think hes mad/jealous that even though hes got a huge advantage in time and gear im still accelling further than him faster and you might think well if hes been taking lessons his theory must be sick right?... wrong sure its decent but im Quite sure im ahead of him on that . and also im taking up drums and singing too and yet i am still ahead of him but i know all of this sounds like "oh man im so good everyone sucks but me" but it really isnt hes giving me **** all the time does anyone know what i can do about this kid to get him off my back? and also he says **** about guitar players he hasnt even heard play any advice would be great thanks
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/25/2006 1:52 am
How old is this douche might I ask???
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/25/2006 1:57 am
The only thing I don't agree with you on is telling him his material sucked if you liked it. If it really did suck that's one thing, but jabs like that don't do it for me. We all have to deal with big-headed asses from time to time, but there's no need to stoop to their level. I say let them go about their own way. They'll wither away when they can no longer back up their words anyway.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
pure
pure
05/25/2006 2:01 am
why dont yall have a guitar duel and some people to judge who's better to solve this problem once and for all??
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 4
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/25/2006 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThe only thing I don't agree with you on is telling him his material sucked if you liked it. If it really did suck that's one thing, but jabs like that don't do it for me. We all have to deal with big-headed asses from time to time, but there's no need to stoop to their level. I say let them go about their own way. They'll wither away when they can no longer back up their words anyway.[/QUOTE]
wait.. where did i say i liked his material? and also thanks for the advice i kinda lost sight of the important thing play on and dont talk **** but it just really grind s my gears that hes saying things about me trhat arent true

[QUOTE=pure]why dont yall have a guitar duel and some people to judge who's better to solve this problem once and for all??

thats a good idea i might give it a shot
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/25/2006 6:31 am
I know how you feel, man, there's nothing more difficult to get rid of than a bloated ego. Are you both in bands? If so, I say you should arrange to have both your bands play a set at the same gig - let the crowd decide who they like better. If your songwriting skills are good, and his are woeful, it won't be much of a contest :).
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
05/25/2006 8:02 am
how old are you guys?
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 7
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
05/25/2006 12:09 pm
Musicians from other bands have been slammin each other for years. Dont worry about it (BE BIGGER THAN HIM) Shine it on Brother!! Unless he gets in your face then punch him a good one on the nose. :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
05/25/2006 12:18 pm
I think this sort of thing happens to a lot of people that get consumed in learning to play guitar. My best friend ws that way when he was learning to play guitar. He got so submersed in learning theory and technique and watching videos and reading books that he assumed that he knew everything there was to know about playing guitar. So, when I would tell him something about playing... or try to show him a lick... He would only tell me that I was wrong and that I COULDN'T play that lick becuse it "technically" goes off key... even though the lick I was playing was derived from a SRV lick, using the same box of notes as he did. I got pretty annoyed with acting like he knew everything but he grew out of it. I think that this guy eventually wil grow out of it too. Once he realizes that he, in fact, is not some guitar prodigy and there are a ton of people out there that are much better than him... He may continue to be as arrogant as he has been. Take any comments that he makes with a grain of salt and let it float away.

BTW, My friend ended up growing out of his arrogance... and since then he has become when of the best guitar players in the area... I can't even challenge him... he's that good. Until he got over being over confident all the time I was just as good, if not better. So it worked out for the better for him.
# 9
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/25/2006 3:26 pm
when u look at a lot of guitarists in great modern bands and even past bands the stuff they play isn't exactly the most complex and difficult anyways. i mean 80's speed metal was pretty intense, but most rock is pretty easy but it still sounds awesome. so it's not really about speed or skill, its about getting a feel from it and doing what rock and roll is best at doing, going agaisnt what everybody else is doing - even though mainstream culture has changed this a bit. Skill isn't what being a good guitarist is necessarily about, it's about makin the instrument your own and therefore, by the sounds of it, you're a better guitarist then him.
# 10
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/25/2006 3:50 pm
Lets look at this from a "real" stand point.

Malmsteen--Highly technical, amazing speed and knowledge and is a great guitar player.

Hendrix--Enough said.

2 guitar players. both phenoms. 2 different "styles" of playing. Bothe kick ass in their own way.

From an all around music standpoint my money woud go to Malmsteen as the "better" guitarist.

AHHHH ... BUT!

I would put my money down on Hendrix as the better "musician".

I wouldn't ruffle my feathers over it. Ask your "friend" this. Is he better than the guitarist for Green Day? I'm sure he is, and you are also.

But who has the million in the bank? :rolleyes:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 11
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
05/25/2006 4:05 pm
me thinks you might be becoming what you hate.... ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 12
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/25/2006 6:28 pm
who has better punctuation?

dude, does it really matter? so what if he thinks he is better than you? so what if he is better than you? and so what if he has lessons? or a nice guitar?

I went to lessons, I bought all of my gear myself(my folks never bought me a guitar)...I have a mate whose parents bought all of his gear...we both love playing guitar...and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Being better than him is unimportant, you guys are both guitarists, you should become mates, and talk about gear...for that is what the music Gods intended...personally, I'd be more worried about not being able to construct a sentance.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 13
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
05/25/2006 6:33 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sawho has better punctuation?

Being better than him is unimportant, you guys are both guitarists, you should become mates, and talk about gear...for that is what the music Gogs intended...

Yes the music "GOGS"....hahahaha, just kidding
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 14
pure
pure
05/25/2006 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManYes the music "GOGS"....hahahaha, just kidding

Gods Of Good Sound
# 15
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/25/2006 6:52 pm
whatever do you mean?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 16
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
05/25/2006 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sawhatever do you mean?

Hahaha! *cough* edit *cough*
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 17
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/25/2006 8:43 pm
I was hoping you'd say that
# 18
pure
pure
05/25/2006 9:49 pm
I agree with Akira's brief but gets-to-the-point post
# 19
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/26/2006 1:45 am
everyone has a good input on this and also to mention he was previousloy in my band so i know all about his stuff and now hes not in a band luckily he quit before we fired him cuz its easier if he thinks he made the descision but yea we used to be like best friend but then he quit the band and got all obsessed with not actually getting better but telling me and everyone that they suck and that he is better the others behind there backs but to me he actually tells me im thinking of just leaving him as was said in this thread just pity him thanks everyone.

Oh and the whole band and that jerk is 16

Also the grammar and punctuation thing im usually good at but im kinda rushed when im typing and honestly if there were better punctuation would it be easier to read?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.