Computer Recording Suggestions?

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/07/2006 1:29 pm
OK.

Finnaly have audacity installed but -- the effects are not showing up. I think I need to download and install something else.

Was able to download the GT Assignment for July. It plays on Audacity and all is well on that.

Will hook the Git fiddle to the sound card using mic input. Lay a track against Dr.'s vamp and hopefully have a "test" sound file to share soon.

Keep you "posted" :p
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/07/2006 8:24 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspYou can use the XT live to record (USB out)... The POD2 and standard XT do effects and amp emulation, but don't function as soundcards...

Incorrect. The regular (not Pro) PODxt can connect to your computer via USB and will actually act like a soundcard. Plug your monitors to the PODxt's left and right output for tracking and all playback, and you're set.

Plugging a guitar straight into a mic input isn't a great idea. Nor is plugging anything other than a cheap computer mic into a typical soundcards "mic" input. A regular vocal/instrument mic has a Lo-Z output, a guitar has a Hi-Z output, and a computer mic uses something completely different. I use a PreSonus Firebox external soundcard, which connects to your computer via firewire. It is an excelent and versatile soundcard with great sounding preamps, and it won't kill your budget either.

As for your computer... I would suggest a processor speed of around 2.0+GHz, at least 512MB of ram (preferably 1Gb), and 2 separate hard drives (one for all your programs, and one for your audio tracks). You can definitely get by with much less, but to be able to take advantage of certain things in some programs and hardware, you'll need some computer power. Those are just suggestions though. Also, anything less than a 17" monitor will quickly get on your nurves once you start to really get into recording.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/07/2006 8:35 pm
Unfortunately until I get the "dedicated" puter up I will have to plug straigt into it usung the existing sound card.

Would it be recommended to drop the input level (on windows) so I don't "red line" it?

I ask because I need to quit talking and start doing :rolleyes:

No time like the present right?

# 3
heavyharmony
heavyharmony
07/09/2006 5:31 am
All I use for the actual computer is the program Audacity. I the use a XLR mic plugged into a multi-effects pedal then into the computer. I dont use any "Audio Interfaces" although they are a good idea. I just have a cable going from my computer "line out" on my sound card, to the stuff. I pulg the cable into my Keyboard Headphones plug or i have my guitar in a pedal and then go into the computer that way. Or i plug it into my multi-effects pedal/mic combo. I mic my guitar amp, thats how i get the best sound. I dont know how complicated that sounds but it is very simple. Hope that helped! :D
When In Doubt Leave It Out... ;) SoundClick Page
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/13/2006 1:23 pm
Ok.

I was able to play around a little bit last night and tried the simple method of plugging direct to the PC from Guitar.

High distortionand no way to adjust it.

Cannot afford new sound card or interfaces etc. Canot afford POD or multi effects processor currently that could act as the interface.

Would plugging into say a distortion pedal. Lower the gain and volume level. Would this help in reducing the signal to an acceptable level? Will experiment tonight.

Also I saw mentioned that someone Mics the amp. Have a RS mic that I could plug direct and mic amp. Would this work or would I still have the same problem as plugging the GTR direct? (distortion issue)?

Not tech savvy guess so please use the KISS method.

Thanks,

# 5
heavyharmony
heavyharmony
07/13/2006 3:30 pm
A while ago I used a generic pc mic. It was alright. I had it plugged right into the soundcard. It was surprisingly good for recording acoustic guitar. It was a bit to much low-end. I just used a high-pass filter to cut out some low. But when it came to recording my amp it was very crunchy and very high-end. It really depends on your microphone. As for recording using a distortion pedal, the only way to know is to try it.
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/13/2006 8:01 pm
You would probably be better off recording the withthe mic. The guitar is overpowering the input. Mess around with different volumes and mic placement to get the best results. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/13/2006 8:29 pm
Thanks for the input guys/gals.

I have a radioshack mic -- not sure of the type/model. Will give it a try.

Eventually I will be able to post something so I can get feedback on how to improve my palying.

Again,

Thank you for all the help and suggestions so far. :rolleyes:

# 8
heavyharmony
heavyharmony
07/13/2006 9:44 pm
By radioshack mic you mean "The Source by Circuit City" right??? :) Anyway I totally agree with magicninja, just experiment until you find the best position for the mic.
# 9
downwithcheeze
downwithcheeze
07/22/2006 8:35 pm
hi i'm 18 years old and i just got a copy of cubase and im' starting/trying to head down the path into some day having my own recording studio and doing all htis crazy **** myself, the only problem is all of this seems to be so mindblowing to me, even when it seems to be dumbed down, i mean i know a lot about music and i just got a mac so i know nothing about it for the most part, but all this jazz about signals, compression, drum machines, ports, and all the weird mixing boards and just everything confuses the hell outta me, so pretty much all im looking for outta this is some good tutorials/overviews/any useful thing that will help me understand recording better, also wuts the best way to go about recording drum tracks through drum machines and wutnot?
# 10
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
07/30/2006 9:12 pm
I have been using Acoustica'a Mixcraft ($39) and their drum program Beatcraft for a long time.

Don't laugh at the price, this is some powerfull recording software.
This is not a DAW, digital audio workstaion type program, it is a very simple, easy to use, very high quality recording program, but it does have VST integration.

Acoustica is a very small company that has about 10 or 15 excellent pieces of Audio software.

Here's the link to Acoustica's Mixcraft.
Mixcraft link

Here's links to two pages of stuff I have recorded with Mixcraft and Beatcraft.
Sound clips page #1

Sound clips page #2
# 11
guitarman1208
guitarman1208
08/03/2006 5:33 pm
Try the Sweetwater music Co. http://www.sweetwater.com
They offer tutitorials and support for a lot of the above mentioned programs and as long as you know how to operate your digital studio,...who cares if your not computer savvy.

D.

Originally Posted by: jimmy_kwtxI am looking to move more toward recording straight to a computer.

I will have questions at various points/times this year.

I am not too computer savvy. Does the software you decide to use determine what type of procesing speed for your Computer and all that mumbo jumbo.

I have an old computer that I am wanting to strip as much as I can from Windows and leave only the "basics". Nothng else. This will be used exclusively for recording. I am sure I will have to replace the sound card.

Could one of you Gurus out there please help me get on the right "track" (pun intended).

# 12
RandyEllefson
RandyEllefson
08/06/2006 1:31 pm
A smart move is to record the naked sound of your guitar so that, if the performance is good by your audio engineering isn't, you can always get it re-amped in a real studio later.

While playing, just route the signal through an amp simulator like Sans-Amp or AmpFarm.
Like riffs? Melody? Shred? Free mp3s? Acoustic guitars galore? Download tunes from my new acoustic album, classical guitar album, or hard rock albums at www.randyellefson.com
# 13
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/07/2006 9:01 pm
Good News!

May actaully have the monitor (only took about 2 months) for the old computer so I can have a dedicated computer for recording.

Sofar-- Thank you all fo the suggestions and tips. Some worked others I am unable to try just yet but it has been greatly appreciated.

Still having some high distortion problems but once I have the Old/new puter up I will install Guitar Tracks again (I do know how to get a "good / clean" sound out of that program).

Will continue to keep you updated and please keep the suggestions and info coming!

Thanks again!!

# 14
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/14/2006 2:28 pm
Update.

Have Monitor. Computer works. Started Stripping useless programs. Have Audacity, Guitar tracks 2, Found a drum loop software works pretty good so far (1 of the ones I found didn't save the righttype of file and could not switch can this be done with audacity?) , Should have some recording stuff soon and the real "questions" will begin.

Again thank you so far for all of the help and suggestions.

# 15
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/18/2006 3:00 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosei'd advise you to post your computer specs (you can find these by clicking on start, run and then typing dxdiag and hitting enter, it'll tell you how fast your computer is and how much ram it has). It's easier then to figure out what needs to be done.

OK...Finally...

AMD Processor
224.0 MRAM
32 bitVMmemory
15 GIG HD
Win 98 (original cannot get any updates--discontinued)

Guitar Tracks 2 Cakewalk
Audacity
Dlusion (drum Loop--Awesome!!)
HammerHead (Drum Loop -- Great for kids [my 9 yr. old loves it])

just an update. suggestions are welcome.

# 16
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/21/2006 1:29 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaDoesn't matter but the Listening Post would be better.

Ok so I have some drums and about 8 measures of bass recorded for testing. I read the sticky on the listening post.

So I want to make sure this is correct. Save the .WAV file convert/or save as MP3. Upload to soundclick.com and provide a "link" in listening post section. Correct?

# 17
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/21/2006 1:34 pm
That'll work. If you can save it as an MP3 first that would be best, save a little time.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/22/2006 1:19 pm
Ninj,

Tried uploading the mp3.s to soundclick last night but kept getting an error message and my track (only tried one at a time to see if it would work) would not upoad.

It may be becuase I only have dial up. I was wondering are there anyother sites like soundclick out there so I can try again tonight and see if it may just have been a site issue?

Thanks

# 19
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/22/2006 8:53 pm
www.purevolume.com www.broadjam.com you can try myspace I can't think of any others. It might have been a problem with the bps you tried to upload. I think there is a limit regular users can upload 128 bps I think check and see if you went over that.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.