Learning Jazz Fingerpicking...

emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/20/2001 10:44 am
OK... Anyone knows any good sites or resources for learning Jazz Fingerpicking, and if someone knows the basic concept and theory of this style playing feel free to introduce this style to any of us who wants to start this. What are the most common technique used in fingerpicking style and what is the difference between this style with any other style of playing? What is JAZZ FUSSION?
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/01/2001 9:51 am
I can answer, sort of, one of your questions. At least, I know one interpreation of the word jazz fushion.
In the case of the Welsh guitarist Shaun Baxter (first album Jazz Metal) it was very much the case of taking the typical jazz lines, eg. using melodic minor (aka Jazz Minor) scales, complex chord structures, progression and changes, but playing it in a non-standard jazz form. A little...crunchy I guess.
Really, as I'm sure you already know, fushion is just a merging of two different styles. Often jazz fushion is more geared towards rock ideal...
I know that's very badly explained - and I don't claim to be any sort of expert on the matter. Non-the-less, hope I helped some. Anyone any takes on it?...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
08/01/2001 1:01 pm
Well thanx for the explaination about Jazz fusion. So, it is the combination of jazz with any kind of music style. You do help me to understand but of course not very clear but at least I roughly know the concept already. Basically, I can play any kind of concept or form of scales and technique but when it comes to this as my friend mentioned this to me, I think I better have a try on it as this may be a new concept I have to learn and analyse the sound, tones and techniques. Thanks again Willdridge. I really appreciate it.
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/01/2001 1:38 pm
No problem what-so-ever. Glad to have helped. It's something I've only personally begun to scratch the surface of as far as listenning to it. I'd recommend you ask around for some names. I'll have to dig up some old copies of my GT mags and Shaun mentions plenty of other guitarists.
I'm sure we'd all appreciate anyone dropping some names...anyone got any good guitarists we should try and follow up on?...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
Guitar Guru
Guitar Guru
08/09/2001 11:02 am
Well fingerstyle jazz is a hard one to learn let alone master. Though it is definitly worth learner it will advance your playing beyond beyond. As for tips and advice the usual applies, practise. Its very hard but its great

Smoke weed every day!

[Edited by Guitar Guru on 08-09-2001 at 07:04 AM]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.