Is it the sound guy or something else?
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 1
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/16/2006 3:57 pm
The environment could be absorbing the bass. treble sounds cut through the air more whereas bass apparently get's absorbed by structures more, therefore if there was say a wall in front of you the treble wouldn't go through it as it doesn't travel through structures well, but the bass would vibrate the wall and cause sound on the other side. bass sounds therefore might be absorbed by every physical object around you.

actually that might be too elaborate, how goods your bass amp? remember bass amps have to be MUCH higher wattage then guitar amps and if you wanna hear em you gotta crank em.

Then again maybe it's a lack of stage monitors.
# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
05/16/2006 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseThe environment could be absorbing the bass. treble sounds cut through the air more whereas bass apparently get's absorbed by structures more, therefore if there was say a wall in front of you the treble wouldn't go through it as it doesn't travel through structures well, but the bass would vibrate the wall and cause sound on the other side. bass sounds therefore might be absorbed by every physical object around you.

actually that might be too elaborate, how goods your bass amp? remember bass amps have to be MUCH higher wattage then guitar amps and if you wanna hear em you gotta crank em.

Then again maybe it's a lack of stage monitors.
I use a 2700 Harke head 400watts with two Harke 8 om XL cabs each has 2 - 10'' and 1 - 15'' with horns and ports. I set up the cabs facing the band from the side of the stage hopeing to hear better but it sounded thin. All I got from the moniters was vocals? People out front said the mix was good? Drums are kinda lost with out me poundin out the rhythm.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
05/23/2006 10:22 pm
The sound of the bass is passing you, if that makes sense...Inside, the bass notes have walls to reflect off of, so you can hear it better.

That's my theory anyway.....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
05/25/2006 9:35 pm
Have someone standing in the crowd to tell you.

One solution is to get something with substantially more oomph... like an Ampeg 1,000 watter going through a 4x10 or 6x10 cab. :D *heh heh heh SNORT* Something like a 4x10 with a big horn in the middle might also do the trick... though those'r 'spensive.

Also, the fact that you're running through a '15. '15s are great for straight-ahead fingerstyle but are crap for slap and for pick... or for if you chord rake like Dave Murray (Iron Maiden). The '15 might not have the requisite punch for this outdoor setting you describe. A 4x10 might do the trick instead. An excellent compromise is a 2x12, but those are hard to find and generally ain't cheap.

Might also have to put it on unusual settings... i.e. more mid and treble than you'd normally like.

So... more watts, more and smaller speakers!!!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.