Rules of the Road

SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/27/2006 9:37 pm
I started this thread to develop a sort of guide for all guitarists,regardless of level.I have been playing for over 22 years,I started out on "Eruption" and now emulate Malmsteen,Becker,Howe,Gilbert,Kotzen etc... I urge those with any useful contribution to post.I will add more as I think of them.

1.Don't give up ! Don't lose hope ! Be patient with yourself...Yngwie didn't become Yngwie in a week.
2.Use your ears !!! Don't just play the notes,but hear them.Guitar playing requires hand-eye AND ear coordination,all 3 must be in-sync or it will invariably sound like crap.
3.Tune frequently-Unless you can afford an uber-guitar with an uber-whammy set-up and have your guitar intonated every year,chances are you're out of tune,which will never,ever sound good.
4.Don't practice distracted-Make time and space in which you can pay attention to what you're actually playing.
5.Play along to the records- If it doesnt sound right,you're either not in tune with the record,or out of tune completely(see rule 2)
6.Don't fudge it-If you're trying to play a certain Malmsteen passage and are stuck,or can't figure out what that diminished chord is,slow down take your time and play it over and over until it's right.Skimming over parts like that is only cheating yourself.The ear almost never lies.
7.Be precise! In standard tuning A has 440 vibrations per second,not 447 or 438.
8.Be the best you can be-Aim for the stars and feel lucky if you even get off the ground.
9.Have a role model or style to aspire to-be inquisitive always.
10.Be hard on yourself.Most great guitarists are their own worst critics,and that's a good thing.Never be satisfied with the status quo of your playing,always strive for better,cleaner,more interesting playing.
13.If it helps,do it.
# 1
acapella
acapella
04/28/2006 3:42 pm
11. Don't judge other's playing or let other's judge you based on a single performance. Everybody has good days and bad days, and besides, music is art, not competetion.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/29/2006 12:00 am
12. Be unique! Noone wants to hear an exact replica of someone else. Throw in your own flares, your own style, your own tone.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 3
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
04/29/2006 1:56 am
Don't play in front of an audience,unless they're paying.It will only discourage you,and make you seem less-uber and more-amateur to them. - by sweep freak

--> for me playing in front of an audience (even if they don't pay me)boosts up my confidence and i think in this way i can experience more. :D
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 4
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/29/2006 2:16 am
"--> for me playing in front of an audience (even if they don't pay me)boosts up my confidence and i think in this way i can experience"
Posted by Joelardz

I guess it is a matter of personal choice ultimately,not really a rule.My experience has been that when people pay,they tend to enjoy the playing more.They feel personally invested and therefore are generally less distracted and/or pay more attention.If it helps to play in front of people,I say go for it.Honestly,I think people's expectations are the same whether they pay or not,they expectto be blown away,so you might as well get paid for it.But,I'll remove it as a rule per se,I had second thoughts about it myself.Bottom line,if it helps or brings you more enjoyment,do it.
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/29/2006 6:10 am
#Don't just play music - listen to it. There is no better way to gain an appreciation of music; and no better way to formulate ideas of your own than to relate them to (or react to) the ideas of those who have gone before you.

#Play nice. When you're jamming (or even performing), never show off unless it is called for. Play what is interesting for you, but keep it appropriate, and allow other players or band members to relate to it and add their own interpretations to it. Nobody likes a poser, no matter how good you are; if you're constantly showing off your monster chops, other musicians will begin to feel intimidated by you.

#Never change your style to conform with the majority's tastes.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
guitarjane
guitarjane
04/29/2006 12:32 pm
listen to all kinds of music, if you play classical listen to rock play punk listen to claiiscal etc. there is something to be gained from all musics, you could get an idea and become famous for it.
# 7
thor-2112
thor-2112
05/07/2006 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarjanelisten to all kinds of music, if you play classical listen to rock play punk listen to claiiscal etc. there is something to be gained from all musics, you could get an idea and become famous for it.

i agree with this one.. keep an open mind to everything yes that means rap and country and even opera. im not saying go listen to it everyday but if u hear it somewhere..give it a chance listen closley :D
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.