View post (Rules of the Road)

View thread

SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/27/2006 9:37 pm
I started this thread to develop a sort of guide for all guitarists,regardless of level.I have been playing for over 22 years,I started out on "Eruption" and now emulate Malmsteen,Becker,Howe,Gilbert,Kotzen etc... I urge those with any useful contribution to post.I will add more as I think of them.

1.Don't give up ! Don't lose hope ! Be patient with yourself...Yngwie didn't become Yngwie in a week.
2.Use your ears !!! Don't just play the notes,but hear them.Guitar playing requires hand-eye AND ear coordination,all 3 must be in-sync or it will invariably sound like crap.
3.Tune frequently-Unless you can afford an uber-guitar with an uber-whammy set-up and have your guitar intonated every year,chances are you're out of tune,which will never,ever sound good.
4.Don't practice distracted-Make time and space in which you can pay attention to what you're actually playing.
5.Play along to the records- If it doesnt sound right,you're either not in tune with the record,or out of tune completely(see rule 2)
6.Don't fudge it-If you're trying to play a certain Malmsteen passage and are stuck,or can't figure out what that diminished chord is,slow down take your time and play it over and over until it's right.Skimming over parts like that is only cheating yourself.The ear almost never lies.
7.Be precise! In standard tuning A has 440 vibrations per second,not 447 or 438.
8.Be the best you can be-Aim for the stars and feel lucky if you even get off the ground.
9.Have a role model or style to aspire to-be inquisitive always.
10.Be hard on yourself.Most great guitarists are their own worst critics,and that's a good thing.Never be satisfied with the status quo of your playing,always strive for better,cleaner,more interesting playing.
13.If it helps,do it.