looking for advice on learning melodic swedish/finnish metal riffs and soloing

dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/25/2006 12:39 pm
what lessons on this site would be usefull for teaching me to play solos and riffs from melodic death/power metal bands like arch enemy,children of bodom, sinergy. (favourite guitarists: alexi laiho, michael amott, ruppe latvala)
# 1
damaged
damaged
04/25/2006 4:01 pm
what scales are you writting these solo's\riff in?
Use harmonic minor instead
if u are in a natural minor dont flatten the 7th, im sure all these players use harmonic minor.
And i think u mean neo-classical touch :P
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 2
dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/25/2006 5:27 pm
i think i mean neo-classical as well, although im not 100% sure how it's defined, and as for all the technical stuff you mentioned, i've only been playing for less than 2 months so i didn't really understand, kno any place where i can learn more?
# 3
damaged
damaged
04/26/2006 5:59 pm
http://www.worldguitar.com/harmonic.html
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 4
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/27/2006 8:30 pm
Most of these groups tune down I've found,so it may be hard to pick the right key at first.All scales are rigid in their composition.Fortunately,they can be moved around,and that can make a huge difference in terms of range and fretboard coverage.Specific to your query,however,as an example....

Em harmonic minor-E F# G A B C D# E
Am harmonic minor-A B C D E F G# A

Keeping the distance (pattern) between the notes the same throughout,it can be transposed to any key.And,keeping true to the scale structure can be started at any note,though depending on the background chord,some are better to start from than others-i.e.starting with a G# with an Am as the backing chord would be undesirably dissonant at best.The secret to this scale,though,is the "leading-tone-resolution".In Am,the G#,being the major third of E maj,E Maj being the "authentic" cadence chord for Am,almost demands that the player resolve to A,which is how well-structured music,and guitar solos are composed.Knowledge of the entire fretboard from open to 22/24 is,imho,indispensable.Like a map,knowing where you are makes it incalcuably easier to navigate to where you want to go.
# 5
dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/29/2006 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by: damagedhttp://www.worldguitar.com/harmonic.html

yeah that's what i think i'm talking about thanks, and sweepfreak i think ur name probably suits u very well hahaha thanks i'm gonna give those chords a shot, any more info is greatly appreciated.
# 6
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/29/2006 5:29 pm
If you've decided that neo-classical guitar will be the mainstay of your playing style,I suggest you study Yngwie Malmsteen,especially his early stuff."Far Beyond the Sun" is the gospel of neo-classical guitar playing.Yngwie himself cites Bach,Vivaldi,and Mozart amongst his chief influences,studying their music may also help.Fortunately or unfortunately,choosing the path of neo-classical requires incredible discipline and dedication,to be done right.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.