View post (whats with all the screaming)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
04/26/2006 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: dying2live_00First of all, i really don't think the number of posts i made should affect my opinion, especially since this is my first day even signing up to this website anyway, second, i never said all the opinions expressed were ignorant, but i can't help thinking that it's ignorant to say that harsh vocals are crappy and were invented for people who aren't good at clean vocals. this is not factually correct at all and going on guitar sites posting threads about how crappy harsh vocals are is definetley "throwing your weight around" because you can't expect people to respectfully disagree to such an offensive criticism. and again it is more difficult to sing with harsh vocals even though it may sound pretty easy to growl a couple of words, screaming various songs full of harsh vocals is a lot more exhilarating and consists of straining the vocal chords a lot more. also, even though it may also sound "strange" or "crappy", harsh vocals are very important in expressing the lyrics in songs much more effectivley and the harshness of a vocalists vocals has a great effect on the effect a song has. imagine serious screamo or death metal songs sung with friendly, clean vocals, when the lyrics are full of hate, death, and pain? although it's not very mainstream (which is actually considered a good thing among true metalheads) it is nevertheless a very important way of singing with a better effect at the appropriate times and if you still don't like it, i'm not saying your not supposed to express your opinion but there's a difference between saying that you do not really like this style of singing, and saying that it is simply "crappy". this goes to all of the people who posted offensive and unreasonable posts on the topic.

I really think that before you "throw your weight around" you need to establish some credit here... I really don't care what you think about anything.... honestly.... But I'm not going to let you come on this forum and suddenly say that the opinions that we are posting are "ignorant". If you can't handle someones view on a particular topic... I think you need to look for a different forum because there are a lot of opinionated posts on this forum... I believe that as a whole all of us here at GT do a good job of excepting those opinions... and the ones that don't, soon find themselves band... for one thing or another... So I suggest you check your ego at the door and except what people think about your beloved "growling". This is a guitar site... not a Growling site... expect an opinion from a guitar players point of view.... not a vocalists point of view. As for whether or not growling is easier than singing... I think the concensus has been unanomous that it's not... I won't disagree with you that it's harder on your throat... But the voice training that a "growler" does isn't designed to help them hit certain notes... they're designed to build callouses over their vocal chords to allow them to scream without causing permanent damage...... As for the aesthetics of growling.. I never said it didn't have it's place in metal... I simply said that I don't choose to listen to it... Maybe it's because I'm not full of "hate, death, and pain". Bottom line... don't become so easily offended... if you can't take criticism on something like "growling" then your musical career is going to be a long and rough road... criticism is not in shorthand in the industry... Just relax and take it with a grain of salt. No one here is trying to insult you or the type of music you like. We simply said that we don't choose to listen to it. That's our choice. There are plenty of other people here that do like that kind of music... So you're not alone... oh yeah... Welcome to the boards!