Upgrades?

Ito1221
Ito1221
04/21/2006 12:11 pm
Hey,
I have this amazing jackson KE3 Kelly. Put me back a lot of money. However, i want this to be the best guitar there is. It has 24 fret pickup, floyd Rose, and Duncan design pickups. Does anyone have any suggestions on gear upgrades to make it even better?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/21/2006 12:32 pm
It depends on what style of music you're into I guess... If you want it to be the "best" guitar there is... It's going to have to be to your liking, and meet your needs. Someone else might think it's the worst guitar in the world... so make it the "best" guitar for your needs... with that said...

There are a number of things that I think of when someone asks me to do mods on there guitar... Tone, Versatility (tonal range), and playability...

Tone: When I think of tone I think of the combination of pickups and strings... There are tons and tons of pikcups on the market to get all kinds of tones... So based on what kind of music you like to play... pickup selection is always pretty critical. People like different things in their pickups... as well as strings. Strings play a pretty big role in tone as well. If you want fat tone you get bigger strings... Generally smaller strings give you a more trebly light tone... So string selection plays a role as well...

Versatility: When I think about versatility I think about how I can get the most out of a single guitar... I try to think how I can get more tones out of the guitar by the means of electronics... whether it be coil tapping, switch wiring, or onboard distortions or overdrives... I try to think how I can get the most tonal options... creating the most versatile guitar that I can...

Playabilty: When I think about the playablity of a guitar... I think about the setup... which includes the action, trem setup, truss rod setup, pickup height, intonation and so forth... The setup for a player that plays a lot of dropped tunings will be a lot different than someone who plays either dropped d or standard tuning... and even more different for someone who ONLY plays in standard tuning.... Playabilty may also include some other gadgets that make the guitar easier to play... like trem setters, hipshot drop d tuners and so forth...

There's a lot to think about. So think about what YOU want out of your guitar and look around www.stew-mac.com they have a ton of stuff on that site. You might see some stuff that you haven't seen before. Good luck
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/22/2006 5:39 am
I'd start with the pickups myself...I am not a fan of Duncan designed's...why not throw in some real Seymour Duncans?

Theres alot you can do...and as Aschleman mentioned, alot of it is inexpensive and just requires adjusting the setup and string guage to suite your liking.

good luck
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/22/2006 4:54 pm
In order to get exactly what you want, you need to get a lot of experience playing different guitars, so you know what's available, and what is 'best' for you. I think you could do better for pickups, but you'll need to try out a buch of stuff to make an informed decision on what to change to. Same goes for any other changes.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/24/2006 6:35 am
if it's amazing already, why change it? figure out what you DON't like about it, and then you can throw in upgrades to fix those problems. once you can not think of a single thing that you do not like about a guitar, then it has become "the best guitar there is" at least in your own eyes and ears.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 5
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
04/24/2006 12:44 pm
I think the only thing left to do is make your fingers turn it into the best guitar there is. A lot of expensive guitar gear on it won't make it the best guitar, it'll just make it the most expensive and the highest spec guitar.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.