Mexican Fat Strat

mattoakes
mattoakes
04/19/2006 4:36 pm
Dudes,

Does anyone play a Mexican Fat Strat (the one with the humbucker at the bridge)? If so is it any good coz I do like strats but want that extra bit of growl if ya know what I mean!!

I want to ROCK but also want something mellow too

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking for?
My budget is about £500

Cheers
Oh By the way which ones Pink?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 5:22 pm
I have played a Mexi Fat Strat... and... eh... they're alright for a starter guitar. But IMO Fat Strats are pointless... Having a humbucker in the bridge is about as pointless as tits on a boar. It doesn't give you any more "growl" than a regular configured strat... If you know how to tweak the knobs on a strat you can get any tone you want. In a five way switch 3 single coil strat the 2 and 4 position are essentially humbuckers anyway... They give a humbucker fat tone atleast... and with the tone knobs you can control the warmth or clarity of it... So I never saw much point. However... a double fat strat would be and is a decent investment. I converted one of my strats to a double fat strat with a JB/'59 set... and I love the mean tone that it gets. but I love my vintage tone strat too... I can get just about every tone I could want out of it and it's got a set of Custom Shop '69 pickups in it.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.