coming up with music

srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
04/09/2006 5:42 pm
ok. i have to say something. I suck at guitar. probably cuz i ve ben plyin the piano too long. but ive figured out something. I can play the piano pretty good, but im not really good at writing music for it. not true for the guitar. a lot of the times, i have no idea of what im playin on the guitar, so i just play random stuff until i hear what i like. Then i try to add to it. I then take the notes, and play them on the piano, and turn the one note notes ive been playin into chords, and then i play those on the guitar. I was wondering. is that how anyone else writes music? or r u guys just really good at that sort of thing.
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 1
quickfingers
quickfingers
04/09/2006 9:47 pm
songwriting is a big deal to me. because im in a ska band with horns and whatnot, and im usually the one writing the various riffs and runs in our songs, i have to think of more universal melodies rather than just on guitar. alot of great songwriters have used piano as their inspiration to write peices on guitar. i mean, a guitar is essentially a rudimental piano, with alot more nuances and imperfections than a piano (not necesarilly a bad thing). i personally suck at playing the piano, but youve got a leg up on many guitarists if you are a good pianist. understanding simple things like adding 6ths to your major scale run is much more difficult to understand and comprehend on a guitar as opposed to a piano, were youre looking directly at a string of repetitions up the keys. bla bla bla, long story short, good for you. no, its not a bad thing that you write music like that; it could only be more benificial.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 2
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
04/09/2006 10:03 pm
That is definately a unique way to compose music. I usually use a complicated system of premeditated charts/ideas before I touch the guitar, however I have written some songs based on your approach. Let us know when you have a finished product, I would like to hear the results. Peace.

-Kyle Hicks ( Kole )
-http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 3
Nick Layton
Nick Layton
04/09/2006 10:42 pm
I think composition is ultimately a very personal thing. There are no rules. Keep in mind that many great songs/pieces have been written with very little knowledge of what is "supposed" to be "allowed". In other words, theoretical ideas never mattered, it just needed to sound good to the composer. That's the bottom line, right? Does it freaking sound good or not?

Of course, there are many ways to think about composing something...theory can definitely play a part, along with other concepts, methods and ideas. As always, explore and find what works for you.

If this all sounds a bit abstract...well, of course it does. This is art.
http://www.nicklayton.com
# 4
Mike_Philippov
Mike_Philippov
04/14/2006 11:59 pm
Learning theory will open up A LOT of doors for your songwriting. You will be able to come up with musical ideas more consistently.

You have somewhat of an advantage because you play two instruments. Sometimes you can come up with cool musical phrases on another instrument that you would never have thought of on guitar. Piano also lends itself much more naturally to smooth voice leading (classical theory concept)

So in addition to everyone's advice, I'd recommend acquiring more theory knowledge it can only help.

Good luck,
Mike.
# 5
Zack Uidl
Zack Uidl
04/20/2006 9:33 pm
Mike is totally right. Theory is one of the most helpful tools a guitarist can have.

Zack
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/20/2006 11:47 pm
If anyone composes really complex, impressive classical music with no knowledge of theory, frankly, I'll be stunned. I'm sure there are a few composers out there, but the inner ear of these people must be absolutely incredible. That ability, coupled with the fact that they somehow magically know how to write musical notes, would be astonishing.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
04/21/2006 12:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonIf anyone composes really complex, impressive classical music with no knowledge of theory, frankly, I'll be stunned. I'm sure there are a few composers out there, but the inner ear of these people must be absolutely incredible. That ability, coupled with the fact that they somehow magically know how to write musical notes, would be astonishing.

I think a creative mind can do a lot... I don't know a whole lot about theory. Sure, I know more than someone who just started... But I don't claim to be a "theorist" style of player. I'm more of a creative player. I play what sounds good. Granted, it's based on what I know of music theory... which is mostly just the notes of the fretboard... scales and chords. I don't get much into modal playing and all that. Even though I will play something and my friend, who is into music theory a lot says... wow, that was a good modal run... or something like that and I have no idea what he's talking about. So I wouldn't put it past a creative mind to compose music based on what appeals to the ear... Obviously it would take a lot of trial and error... but I wouldn't put it past the creative mind to do anything.

And along witht he writing processes... I think everyone has a comfortable way of writing things. Each person finds there own process and there own ways to do things that are most effective for them. So just keep doing what's easiest for you as long as the results meet your own approval.
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/21/2006 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: srpianojrguitarok. i have to say something. I suck at guitar. probably cuz i ve ben plyin the piano too long. but ive figured out something. I can play the piano pretty good, but im not really good at writing music for it. not true for the guitar. a lot of the times, i have no idea of what im playin on the guitar, so i just play random stuff until i hear what i like. Then i try to add to it. I then take the notes, and play them on the piano, and turn the one note notes ive been playin into chords, and then i play those on the guitar. I was wondering. is that how anyone else writes music? or r u guys just really good at that sort of thing.

That's kinda how I do it. Whenever I play in standard tuning, I can't make up songs. I try, but I just end up playing power chords and simple bluesy riffs. If I tune my guitar to some weird tuning I've never used before (or just detune it so that each string isn't even right on a note), I can come up with some really cool stuff. It's the same on say, a mandolin. I know the tuning of a mandolin, I just don't know the instrument well enough to know the notes I'm playing as I play them. In fact, it's exactly the same on a piano for me.

I've figured that my key for writing songs is to have no idea what the notes or chords I'm playing are called, because then I can just focus on the sound rather than think something like "Oh, I'm playing a G, an A should come next." Then, after I've got the song written, I go back to standard tuning and see if it's any easier to play. It's usually not.

So in a sense, yeah, that's how I do it. :)
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/21/2006 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI think a creative mind can do a lot... I don't know a whole lot about theory. Sure, I know more than someone who just started... But I don't claim to be a "theorist" style of player. I'm more of a creative player. I play what sounds good. Granted, it's based on what I know of music theory... which is mostly just the notes of the fretboard... scales and chords. I don't get much into modal playing and all that. Even though I will play something and my friend, who is into music theory a lot says... wow, that was a good modal run... or something like that and I have no idea what he's talking about. So I wouldn't put it past a creative mind to compose music based on what appeals to the ear... Obviously it would take a lot of trial and error... but I wouldn't put it past the creative mind to do anything.

And along witht he writing processes... I think everyone has a comfortable way of writing things. Each person finds there own process and there own ways to do things that are most effective for them. So just keep doing what's easiest for you as long as the results meet your own approval.

Without knowing theory, I think at best the creative mind could produce one string quartet with the method you just described.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
aschleman
aschleman
04/21/2006 4:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWithout knowing theory, I think at best the creative mind could produce one string quartet with the method you just described.

Well obviously I'm not talking about writing an entire piece for a symphony orchestra... I figured that would go without saying. I'm talking in terms of producing music on a guitar... Not composing music to be played by the London Sympphony Orchestra.... Peoples minds work in different ways. Some people need theory to understand the guidelines and structure of music. Others simply can understand it all by the way notes sound together and the way the music sounds. I think James Hettfield and Slash have done pretty good considering they both admit not knowning more theory other than the pentatonic scales and chords...
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/21/2006 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWithout knowing theory, I think at best the creative mind could produce one string quartet with the method you just described.

I think that's plenty.
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/22/2006 5:12 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI think that's plenty.

I never said it would be a great string quartet.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.