View post (coming up with music)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/21/2006 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI think a creative mind can do a lot... I don't know a whole lot about theory. Sure, I know more than someone who just started... But I don't claim to be a "theorist" style of player. I'm more of a creative player. I play what sounds good. Granted, it's based on what I know of music theory... which is mostly just the notes of the fretboard... scales and chords. I don't get much into modal playing and all that. Even though I will play something and my friend, who is into music theory a lot says... wow, that was a good modal run... or something like that and I have no idea what he's talking about. So I wouldn't put it past a creative mind to compose music based on what appeals to the ear... Obviously it would take a lot of trial and error... but I wouldn't put it past the creative mind to do anything.

And along witht he writing processes... I think everyone has a comfortable way of writing things. Each person finds there own process and there own ways to do things that are most effective for them. So just keep doing what's easiest for you as long as the results meet your own approval.

Without knowing theory, I think at best the creative mind could produce one string quartet with the method you just described.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...