Skill levels?

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/08/2006 8:09 am
Hey everyone, I've got a little question about joining a band. I've reached a stage where I'm getting bored of jamming by myself, and I'd like to join a band, but I don't know whether my skills are sufficient. I've been playing for seven months, and my teacher says that I'm "exceptionally good" for my level of experience; but I really don't think I'm good enough to cut it with other players my age (17).

So, to those of you who are in a band - could you please give me an indication of roughly what skill level you were at when you joined your first band?

Thanks. :)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/08/2006 10:58 am
First band I ever tried out for I knew just a few basic open chords and one rhythm pattern. I thought I did good, but I found out later that they were laughing their butts off at me after I left.
Second band I tried out for, I only knew a few more chords and rhythm patterns and after hearing me they turned their backs on me and ignored me for the rest of the session.
Third band I tried out for just needed a bass player cause they were playing a gig at a hotel in town. I rented a bass and showed up but was so bad that somebody from the audience actually got up and replaced me. (still made $150 though :)
Next band was a country band and luckily the basic chords I knew were perfect cause I got hired & went on the road for a year. Hated every minute of it, but learned a whole lot about performance, playing in a band and having fun with groupies.

I'd basically advise you to start as soon as possible. The more you try out and the more you force yourself to play, the more you'll learn and the better you'll get. Definitely find out what cover songs bands are doing though, and learn as many of em as you can. The skill level doesn't matter so much as knowing songs to play.
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/08/2006 8:02 pm
Thanks, mate. :) Somehow, though, I just can't imagine you playing country!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/08/2006 9:19 pm
heh.. all over northern Canada backing up groovy guys like this...

# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/09/2006 2:33 am
I agree with Schmange. It'll be a lot better for you than you'd think to get out there and work with people. It's a gateway to knowledge and an excellent chance to make some good things happen.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Zack Uidl
Zack Uidl
04/20/2006 9:51 pm
One tip for starting a band. Create your band out of people that you enjoy being with and that are as dedicated as you are. Nothing is worse than having a prick for a bandmate or having a member bring the band down because they are a slacker.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.