computer recording

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/06/2006 6:04 am
can someone give me the lowdown on what the basic components needed for a good mid-ranged home recording studio using the computer.

also, which is better, to use a computer for recirding or to use a multi-track?

and what is the difference between a sound card and an audio interface? do you need both? or does the audio interface act as an external sound card?

sorry for all the questions, but I'm curious :D
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2006 8:13 am
Depends what you mean by 'mid range'. How much do you want to spend?
What kind of computer do you have? Is it PC or Mac? How much RAM and storage do you have?
Are you talking mics, mixers, preamps, keyboards, monitors, plug-ins, software etc? Or do you just want something simple to record your guitar?

Multitrack or computer depends on the level of recording you're going for and what purposes you'll be using it for. If you're recording a live band or just guitar, you may want to go for a multitrack. If you're wanting to sound like a pro or release a CD, you'd be better off with computer recording.

Audio interface and sound card are basically the same thing but again there's differences.. the sound card may have it's own processing power for things like plug-ins... or the audio interface may be a simple a/v input for your specific computer with it's own built in sound card... or it could include midi inputs and firewire

For less than $1000 you can get a used PC, a sound card off ebay, a small 4 channel mixer and Audacity or something.
For $2500 you can get a bare bones PC, a sound card, Pro-tools LE, some plug-ins, a decent mic, a preamp, keyboard controller and monitors.
Or you could get a Mac Mini in place of the PC.
For $5000 you can get a proper PC workstation with mega gigs and ram, a sound card with a mixer built in, Cakewalk Sonar, really decent monitors, preamp, a great mic, and plug ins. Or replace the PC with a Mac G5.

The difference is gonna be the quality of sound you'll get and the versatility.
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/06/2006 5:21 pm
well, I was going to buy my own pc for doing this, as my parents probably would not like me leaving mixers, keyboards, and the like in the office where they try to use the computers for internet and stuff (like what I'm doing now)

my friend said he'd sell me his pc for $100, it's a bit older. it's got windows 2000, and was origanally bought by my friend's uncle as a business computer. I figure if I upgrade the CRT monitor to LCD (which apparently is better for studios because LCD don't give off as much radio interference, from what I've heard) get some studio monitors, a sound card/audio interface, some software, and whatever else I needed (I really don't know what else I need) that I could have a pretty decent studio.

what I meant by mid-range was something in-between doc simon's studio, and just buying a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor to stock sound card, because that sounds like crap.

so let's say I have a budget of around a grand, without including the pc in the price. I'm not against buying used either.

I also want to get a good higher-end pc for gaming, so this would pretty much be just a temporary computer, until I could afford some $1000 computer.

and what I meant about the audio interfaces is, like, the ones that have inputs for mics and instrument inputs and the like. maybe a few volume controls on it. and also, if in the future I did get a computer for gaming, could it act as a sound card for that?
my spyspace
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2006 5:31 pm
Dude, mine came in at about $40 000 !

If you are determined to go the PC rout, have a look for Behringer kit on eBay. It is not the best, but better than the radioshack alternative. Even if it dies after a year you will have learnt from the experience and will know what you want and what to look out for when next time comes along (as well as what the buttons do). ANother good thing to do is work out exactly what you want to do. Are you going to be recording local bands or just your self. The former can get very expensive, the latter can be done very cheaply.

For example, you could get a cheap large diaphragm condenser microphone, a channel strip and a set of flat response near field monitors for a couple of hundred bucks. Or do what Schmange dose and rather than use a channel strip get a mixing desk. Behringer make these also (like the Eurodesk). Desks are great to monitor through even if you are only taking two channels out to a sound card. If you only recording your self, do you really need more than two channels at a time ? Recording only really gets expensive when you want to record multiple channels simultaneously !

FYI, A hundred buck computer is going to be a royal pain in the ass. You might want to think about an all in one studio in a box. You will spend more time recording and less time swearing cos it isn't working / drivers aren't supported / bits wont fit / the HDD has just died etc etc. They are also (comparatively) cheaper than going the computer rout. That said "studios in a box" are not as powerful, versatile or upgradable as computer DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) however these are only really limitations for more experienced users who want full midi integration.

However it is also worth remembering that more expensive doesn't always mean better. I'm about to re-buy a $200 ART preamp. This little guy will sit next to a big bad old Avalon (~10 x the price). Why, because I can get brilliant clean guitar sounds out of the ART. Dose it sound as good as the Avalon on vocals or, well any thing else? No, however I only really want it for the guitar tone which is exceptional !

Once you have a working core you can then add bits as the need calls or cash permits. The best bit is that you are learning about the recording process and what works and what doesn't.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2006 6:49 pm
>>Dude, mine came in at about $40 000 !

heh..friggin plug-ins alone cost me over 25 grand and I only use about 5 of em. :rolleyes:

If you get a used computer, just make sure you have at least the minimum processor and ram for the software you're using. You can use less, but it's a pain in the butt trying to keep multiple tracks running at once or using live plug-ins

For about a coupla thousand bucks you could get a Digidesign Mbox 2, ProTools LE, UAD-1 Project Pak, Event ALP1 monitors, a studio projects vtb-1 preamp, cme uf5 midi controller and an m-audio luna mic. If you wanna go up to $2500 total, you could add in a bare bones dell computer with a 2.8ghz proceser, 160 gb hard drive and a 17" flat screen monitor.

You could upgrade to a m-audio project mix that gives you a firewire audio interface with a built in mixer. upgrade the monitors to dynaudio bm5a.\

If you want to go the really cheap route, get a Mac G3 beige for about $100.
ProTools Free, a behringer 8 track mixer, a pair of paradigm 3se speakers, roland pc-200 keyboard and a rode nt-1 mic. You're probably talking under $500 if you buy used. That's about all I used to record my first CD.
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/06/2006 11:43 pm
I'm not sure of all the specs on my friends computer, but I'm positive that they are better than that mac G3's 96MB of ram and 4GB hard drive along with the .88 MHZ processer. it's at least got 256MB ram, 20GB hard drive, with 1.4 GHZ processor, at LEAST!

alright, so what if I do this:
behringer mixer $80
Rode NT-1 condensor mic $200
some kind of monitors (recommend something please!) $200-ish
tascam audio/midi interface $200
M-audio midi controller/keyboard $150
my friend's computer $100

that's under $1000 for brand new stuff (except the computer), the tascam audio/midi inteface comes with cubase software. so, what do you think? I'll try to get as much of it used as I can.

also, what exactly is a midi controller, what does it do, and what is it used for?
my spyspace
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 12:26 am
Mixer looks good.
Mic looks good... but make sure you also get a shockmount, mic stand, mic cable, spit guard sibilance filter thingy who's name totally escapes me right now... one of those round things (in a pinch, you can use pantyhose on a wirehanger)
Monitors ... maybe try Edirol MA-200 micro monitors. They have a built in amp. Only problem with stuff this size is lack of bass.
Alternately you could use a decent stereo amplifier and buy a pair of unpowered speakers. Don't forget you'll also need a decent pair of headphones for monitoring. You could also use a pair of powered speakers with a sub.

Audio/midi interface looks good. You might want to double check and read up on stuff like firewire vs. usb connections though. Plus Cubase LE is the basic barebones software. Double check the specs and compare them to something like Cubase SX to see if it'll give you enough for what you'll need.
Also check M-Audio Firewire 4X10. It's 2X8, 24 bit and analogue, digital and midi jacks.
The midi controller looks good. This is used to input stuff like drums, midi bass, piano, strings etc etc... It doesn't have any sounds of it's own so you'll need VSTi plug-ins like Pro-52, LM-4 drum machine, SampleTank etc to use it.
(alternately you could get a guitar synth but it's a pain to use for strings and drums). You can also use it as a secondary controller for your computer software. ie, assign certain key combinations to record, rewind etc..

Only thing you didn't mention was a sound card. Get the best you can afford.
Also, don't forget to factor in all the small stuff like cables.
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/07/2006 2:29 am
Originally Posted by: schmangespit guard sibilance filter thingy who's name totally escapes me right now... one of those round things (in a pinch, you can use pantyhose on a wirehanger)

one of these?

the monitors look good, but they got some pretty low reviews on musician's friend. but if you've tried them out, I trust your judgement.

about the sound card... I thought that the tascam was supposed to act as a soundcard.. now you've got me confused.

a regular old multi-track recorder is looking more and more appealing :rolleyes:
my spyspace
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 3:27 am
Yeah, a pop filter. Although not necessarily that one.
There's different qualities and sizes available.

Monitors you'll have to check around on. There's so many choices that you could go on forever. Edirol Ma-200 digital stereo micro monitors for instance if you wanna stick around the 2 - 300 mark. Dynaudio bm5a if you can manage a grand. Personally I prefer using a decent, audiophile amplifier and some audiophile speakers like polk audio or paradigm monitors. But there's also industry standards like Yamaha NS10's.

As far as whether to go with a standalone recorder, the only thing I can say is it's like the difference between going amateur compared to pro.
The computer recording is infinitely expandable. A standalone unit you're stuck with.
As far as computer recording goes, just the cut and paste option of editing is enough to sway me. There's nothing like being able to take a song and just remove the bridge and replace it. Or take the first verse and just copy and paste it 3 times to make up a whole song. Or doing a 16 part vocal harmony, using a vocal processor to put it in tune, adding reverb... cutting and pasting it so that it repeats in other parts of the song, copying it and dragging the copied part slightly behind the first so that you double everything up...
For instance, one song I did:

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/SchmangeOnline/DarkBattleAlternate.mp3

then you can change the bridge just by muting some of the parts and adding new ones like harmonies

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/SchmangeOnline/DarkBattle.mp3

.. was basically just one chord that I cut and pasted a dozen times, then ran it through a bunch of different VSTi synths. The only actual playing I did was to play an A chord on the keyboard and a few guitar chords. Everything else was drum loops, drawing notes into the editor and copy & pasting.
There's no way you could do that with a standalone.
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 3:44 am
Sorry, forgot the sound card thing.
As far as I know, the interface you mention is just an interface/usb converter. I'm pretty sure you still need a sound card but I'll defer to somebody else on this one cause I'm not as familiar with PC's as I am with Macs.
As far as I know, PC's don't come with a built in sound card like Macs do.
With my mac for instance, all I do is take the output from the mixer and plug it into the RCA audio inputs at the back of the computer. No sound card required. For midi, I use a translator through the modem port.
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/07/2006 4:14 am
but what about a standalone that you just use USB out to a PC for mixdown and mastering? wouldn't that give you the same capabilities without having to buy a million different things?
my spyspace
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 5:01 am
Do you still have editing capabilities? Not sure but it sounds like you're basically just taking the outputs of the standalone and mixing down to stereo on the computer. The drawback is in the recording to begin with.
A standalone is basically linear... you're recording from beginning to end. You have to work with small scrolling displays so you have to keep everything in your head as to what's on which track and so forth.
You can't visually see what you're doing.

Tell ya what, check out this tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7452&s_id=58

Get an idea what it's like to work within the computer. ie, being able to edit tracks and visually see what you're doing.
Now compare that to basically working on a standalone where you're recording like an ordinary tape deck and then mixing it down into stereo on your computer.

With the computer software, you can visualize what your song looks like, look at waveforms and edit them... quantize sounds so that they're in beat, drag the midi notes around and assign them to different instruments then change the entire key...do 20 vocal tracks and pick the best takes from each track and slide them back and forth so that they're in beat..

With a standalone, if you want to edit your song, you have to scroll through a tiny display and keep the entire song in your head. You can't quantize.
You can't do anything with midi. You're limited to whatever effects are built in. Last but not least, if one part of the unit breaks down, the entire thing has to go into service so you lose your recording studio for 6 - 8 weeks.

Like I said, it's like the difference between amateur and pro.
The only reason I would by a standalone would be if I was recording an entire band in real time. Mainly cause it's portable and you can input several instruments at once onto different tracks.
However, later on I'd still take each individual track and transfer them into Cubase so I could work with them visually.
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/07/2006 5:08 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeTell ya what, check out this tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7452&s_id=58[/quote]
I can't because I'm not high bandwith
[quote=schmange]However, later on I'd still take each individual track and transfer them into Cubase so I could work with them visually.

that's basically what I'm saying. just record with the multi-track, and then transfer them to computer and use software to see them visually.
my spyspace
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 5:25 am
I guess if you want. Can't see the point in it though. You're just adding a redundant step and making more problems for yourself. If you're eventually going to be editing in the computer, why not just record to the computer to begin with?
# 14
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/07/2006 6:30 am
wouldn't it cut out the need for a mixer, a sound card (since you'd be going through firewire or USB), an audio interface, midi controller, and VST effects? plus the need for a good quality computer wouldn't be as important.

I would only be recording myself, not bands. I would be like a one man band, I'd play rhythm and lead guitar, bass, and I'll get a drum machine or a multi-track with a built-in drum machine. with a slim possibility of vocals being added too (though probably not by me :p )

all I'd need for that route is:
Recorder
monitors
headphones
mic and it's accompanying accessories
software

as opposed to:
sound card
audio interface
mixer
monitors
headphones
good computer
software
midi controller
VST effects
mic and it's accessories

I dunno, I've been thinking alot about this today. I think maybe I just want to get a real cheap recorder and some inexpensive monitors for now, and plug in through the instrument input eliminating the need for a mic. then have that hold me over on my recording needs for a few months until I've acquired a decent of money to throw into this studio. then sell off the cheap recorder and monitors to upgrade to a good sized computer recording system after I'm more aware of what I want. plus, earlier, I kinda half-jokingly asked my mom if she'd wanted to buy me a computer for "school" and she actually answered me seriously and said "we (my parents) were talking and thinking about it." so there is a possibility of my parents buying me a computer for "school" *cough*video games and a recording studio*cough*

what do you think of the fostex MR-8 for fulfilling my needs (my VERY basic needs) for the time being
my spyspace
# 15
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/07/2006 11:13 am
Sup to you dude. It's hard for me to advise you cause you haven't experienced both methods for yourself. It's kinda like trying to describe the color blue to a blind guy.
Basically, yeah you're right. The stuff you mention will do the trick.
It's like the difference between a volkswagen and a ferrari, but yeah, it'll do what you want.
# 16
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/07/2006 2:35 pm
I have a pretty good setup for recording at home. I do all guitars D.I. through a Mesa Boogie Triaxis (excellent piece of gear), it has a built in "record out" jack for direct to desk recording but I run it through an amp simulator first to give the tone a bit more of an edge.
My set up is pc based as I use a fair few VST's and I'm used to working in the windows environment.
Here's the gear:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis (preamp)
Samson Servo poweramp
Eventide Harmonizer H3000 D/SE (not really necessary for home recording)
Palmer PDI speaker simulator (nice piece of gear, eliminates the need for micing up amps)
M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard (rack mounted - has 10 1/4 inch in and 10 outs - zero latency - 96khz quality - spdif - great piece of equipment)

This all interfaces with a Dell Optiplex, customised for recording music - 5 GB ram (for powering GigaStudio samples) - 2 x 200GB fast drives - 19" flat screen - and no unecessary software eg office etc.

Software that I actually use is Cubase SX2 (sequencing and arranging -should really upgrade to SX3) - DFH Superior (excellent drum package), WaveLab Pro (for editing), and loads of VST plug-ins (good ones like Storm Drum, MOTU Symphonic Instrument & East West Symphonic Orchestra, Cube, etc).

The whole thing probably cost in the region of about €7,000 but if I was to do it all again and leave out the gear and software that I don't actually use I could probably do it for about €5,000.
# 17
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/08/2006 9:17 am
alright, so upon a brief discussion with my mom, she says that I might she might buy me a computer once I've finished paying off my car. I plan on having it paid off by the beginning of July hopefully, only a few months. so I've been thinking alot, and looking at what a bunch of other people are using to record, and here's an idea I cam up with, let me know if you think it'll work, or if I left something out, etc.

Guitar -----> Pre-amp -----> PodXT (for speaker sims) -----> Mixer -----> Sound card

for the sound card, I think that the m-audio delta 1010 is just what I was looking for. For the pre-amp I can use an ART SGX2000 tube pre-amp that I have sitting in my room that I almost forgot about (long story as to how I acquired it)

future upgrades to include:
Microphone
midi controller + VST effects
rackmount EQ
anything else you'd recommend

so, what do you think?
my spyspace
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/08/2006 11:46 am
Sounds good... don't forget you still need the recording software, monitors and headphones tho.
You can get away without the monitors for awhile. I didn't use em for years, and even now still do most of my mixing and listening through headphones.
Just make sure ya get a decent pair like AKG K-240.
Eventually you'll want to get a decent amp too.
Listening through the mixers headphone output is ok, but definately lacking in power.
You should think about what you're going to be recording too.
If you're just going to do guitar you'll be ok with the above stuff, but if you're thinking about sounding like a one man band, you'll need drums and bass at the very least. Rather than buying a VST drum machine and synth you could consider getting a few decent loop CD's to start with.
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/08/2006 7:27 pm
yes, I had remembered software, monitors, and headphones. I just forgot to mention them in the post.
I do plan on eventually getting a midi controller with VST drums, I don't know that I'd really ever use any other kind of VST effects, since I'm not making the type of music that you're making. I just need guitar, bass, drums, and vocals to be happy. alternately I may just get a drum machine like a boss Dr. Rhythm or something. or just something that allows you to create your own patterns while still providing several preset loops.
for bass, well, I figure I can either get a bass pre-amp, and a bass PodXT and record it in the same way I record guitar. OR, I can just get a condensor mic and record that way.
also, you say I'll need a decent amp, do you mean pre or power amp? I was under the impression that poweramps were more for things like PA systems, and you didn't need one for recording direct.
I have a pre-amp I can use, it's not the best thing in the world, but it has awesome clean sounds. I'm not too fond of the high gain sounds though, which is mostly what I'll be using, so maybe I'll need a different pre down the line, but hey, I got this one for free!

it was just sitting at my church, when my youth pastor mentioned it, and I wanted to play around with it. he decided to let me borrow it. it was alright for a while, but like I said, I wasn't fond of the high gain tones, so it spent alot of time under my bed not being used. then, my church fired that youth pastor (long story short: they had to let go four or five people for financial reasons), so now no one even knows I still have it. I know it's not mine, but if I take it back to the church it will just sit there not getting used, so why not have it? right?
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.