Metal music began the moment that...

Joseph
Joseph
07/10/2001 12:51 am
...Jimmy Page decided to use a violin bow on "Dazed & Confused", not to mention the blindingly fast solo following the bow-fest.
I'm sure we all have our special moments, (special memories) while we were growing that really shape who we are, and what direction we choose to go in as a musician years down the line. I swear, the first time I heard Led Zeppelin's first album it really struck a chord within me, in more ways than one. Ive always wanted to play the drums like John Bonham, everv since I was five years old...Four great musicians who are all irreplaceable, and they all offered something unique to the table with this record. They definitely show-cased their abilities, and the gave the music industry a hint of what was next to come. What was your impression the first time you heard Led Zeppelin's first album, and which songs really stand out for you? As the years have progressed, this album just becomes more enjoyable for me.

Jimmy Page showed the whole world how good he really was on this album, not just as a guitarist, but as an INCREDIBLE producer!

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
07/10/2001 4:36 am
zeppelin to me is the greatest band of all time. jimmy page is a great guitarist, there is no better drummer then bonham, and nobody wails like robert plant.

when i heard their first album i had already heard many of the songs, so it was no surprise to me, listening to it just reinforced my convictions

however, what really struck a chord for me was the first time i heard stairway to heaven. i have yet to hear a better song. it just blew my mind. and i continue loving to hear it. i onced listened to it for ten hours straight (on a long car trip). that song represents music's peak. bands have and will try to match it, but i have a feeling no one will.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
eljison
eljison
07/11/2001 6:34 am
in response to your comment about heavy metal music being "born" when Jimmy Page plays his guitar with a violin bow, I have two comments. First, the name "heavy metal" was coined by the band Steppenwolf. In "Born to be Wild" the line "heavy metal thunder" was picked up by some rock journalists and radio hosts and the term began being applied to the distorted guitar sound that was being popularized by similar sounding bands (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. ...)
second, I HAVE to mention the scene from This Is Spinal Tap when lead guitarist "Nigel Tuffnel" is shown playing his solo using the whole violin (not just the bow!), the best part is when he retunes the violin!!! funny stuff...
enjoy
# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
07/11/2001 7:04 pm
Errr i dont think we can say page started the metal era, because he simply didnt.. i dont think you can say it about people like hendrix or blackmore either
but anyway the first zeppelin song i've ever heard was black dog i didnt really like the whole album at the begining , and quite hated stairway for some time, because i usually hate long songs, but when i had the opportunity
to hear the whole song once, i knew i was into it and since then they are one of my 3-4 favorite bands
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
07/13/2001 4:11 am
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit, but theres no denying how powerful Jimmy Page's impact was (and still is in the world of uitar) and the world of loud music. This guy tried things that no one had imagined at that time and erra, he gave new meamning to the word [i[]innovative.[/i] This guy is a pure genius who dabbles in just about every style there is, and he clever adds his own natural abilities. There aremn't many musicians today who rely on their impulses when recoirding music, and I swear listening to this first Zeppelin record, you can almost feel what was going through Page's mind.

Regardless on whether or not metal began with Page, ever since Led Zeppelin came onto the scene, the music has never been the same. Since this band released their first record, millions of musicians around the world began to change their approach in attempt to match the power that leaked through these songs. But to no avail, because there are no immitators when it comes to Zeppelin. A perfect comnibation of raw soul, and volatile emotion...

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
loner92
loner92
07/14/2001 3:01 am
Blah, blah, blah. I'm sick of seeing classic rock worship. I don't have a problem with the stuff, but it's not that great. Move on, look for new bands, expand your horizons. "Metal" has come a LONG way (I hardly consider Zeppelin metal, by the way) since it's beginnings.
With that said, I STRONGLY reccomend picking up some of Iced Earth's stuff, especially Days of Purgatory. If you've never heard them, prepare to be blown away and dazzled at the speed, complexity, melody, and power of their music (they DEFINITELY aren't "nu-metal", this stuff is pure "true" metal, not death or black either). Not the shreddiest stuff solo-wise, but not exactly shabby either.

# 6
Joseph
Joseph
07/14/2001 4:57 am
But its called recognizing true talent...In the 1960's-1970's, it was an unpresedented time of artistic freedom, where the music excutives put their faith in the artists to come up with something memorable. They allowed them to be themselves and bring their personality to its level of completeness. Where as today, a lot of musicians with obvious potential hide behind the overall concept of what (those in higher power) feel is acceptable. I guess when it comes to rock music of today, i just can't help wondering where the free will has gone. I'll tell you this, it has become mucvh easier to differentiate a musician from a rock star nowadays...
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
eljison
eljison
07/14/2001 4:10 pm
I don't really see any worship going on. if you followed the messages posted you'd see that we were talking about the birth of metal. Metal has definitely progressed and no one would really call Zeppelin and the like "metal" anymore. It's true that there aren't as many bands with the freedom to experiment that was afforded them in the 70's. of course, that was both good AND bad! I haven't really heard anything "new" in metal since Randy Rhoades and his predecessors and don't much listen to it anymore. I think the closest thing to "new music", at least in the Rock vein, was the Seattle sound. Of course, the industry packaged and commercialized that as well since the early days of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. But I think these guys were make "real" new sounds. You don't have to agree, that's the beauty of music, there are no absolute wrong or rights. it's subjective and there's plenty of room for personal taste and opinion. after the 80's I really got bored with the overproduced metal sound and the U2 copy bands. Save U2, I think the 80's was a miserable decade for music lovers! (of course, much is due to my age!)
enjoy...
# 8
loner92
loner92
07/14/2001 10:38 pm
Originally posted by Joseph
But its called recognizing true talent...In the 1960's-1970's, it was an unpresedented time of artistic freedom, where the music excutives put their faith in the artists to come up with something memorable. They allowed them to be themselves and bring their personality to its level of completeness. Where as today, a lot of musicians with obvious potential hide behind the overall concept of what (those in higher power) feel is acceptable. I guess when it comes to rock music of today, i just can't help wondering where the free will has gone. I'll tell you this, it has become mucvh easier to differentiate a musician from a rock star nowadays...

That's the problem, you're not looking past mainstream music. There are plenty of bands with all the artistic freedom they want, but they're not on major labels. Look hard enough and you'll find them. Case in point: the previously mentioned band, Iced Earth. Stop paying attention to that commercialized radio b.s.

# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
07/14/2001 11:03 pm
loner dude the problem is that no matter what those bands will do or done till now, it was probably done better in the 70's... the only good thing i can say about today guitarists is that they are probably techniqualy more skilled then the 70's people, but then again ritchie blackmore for example was fast, and had a great feel. today players tend to be only fast, and u are talking about those bands not getting into mainstream, this is true there are alot of good players that are not mainstream, but then again think of the thousands of local players or guitar teachers around the world, who can kick any pro player's ass, offcorse you dont know them all, and probably big part of them could be the best players ever and everything, but we are not talking about all those people, and believe me in the 70's there were also a lot of bands, that were great but didnt hit the mainstream...
and i dont think that a mainstream is a bad thing, i think that all the styles in the world have their own mainstream, and being mainstream band, is not being pop comercialized band, for example check out the zeppelin records: they have sold the second biggest ammount of albums in the states, and yet they are not comercialized band, but rather a band that almost every single man likes, because they wrote a great music
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
Locrian
Locrian
07/15/2001 5:55 am
Sabbath started metal
# 11
loner92
loner92
07/15/2001 8:34 pm
Yes, Sabbath did start metal.
And as for the whole 60's-70's music thing, that seems a bit closed minded to me. Good music is timeless, it doesn't matter what year it was made. It sounds like you refuse to give anything a chance because it's not the 70's anymore, that's ridiculous. And to say that it was probably done better in the 70's is just plain foolish, that just goes to show your lack of insight on metal. Listen to and album like Rust in Peace or Night of the Stormider, and then try to find something from the 60s or 70s that sounds like (and is more skilfully executed) it. It can't be done.

# 12
Locrian
Locrian
07/15/2001 8:55 pm
You're right loner. Sixties and seventies metal is probably of poorer quality than SOME of the eighties' metal. But the bulk of current "metal" is awful. It is either really grungy bull**** or a bunch of asswipes playing 7 string guitars in a rap band. How that can be called metal is beyond me. Real metal is stuff like Maiden and early Metallica.
# 13
Bleak
Bleak
07/16/2001 1:25 am
Mine came when I first heard the Chrunching guitars of MetallicA, to me everying is so complacaited and fast, Kirk mixing Classical Guitar with Metal, 70's rock and 80's metal is just something you can beat, james lead guitar is very defined and well played also, he uses such diffcult things for lead guitars and the Drumer, lars is not bad either, I know I killed his name, but the first basist was killer to Cliff, he made his bass sounds like a lead guitar, very fast, very nice smoth tec. wanderfull ban all together, this is only the second band that I can listen to all the songs on an album the ohter is Hendrix, they put every thing into every song, these guys are great, and I suggest you see them in concret even better, they infact famous for touring.

but, Pantera, also open me up to a heavyer, faster, world of guitars, Dim Bag Dearl is a very good guitarist.

[Edited by Bleak on 07-15-2001 at 09:34 PM]
"If you're ever satisfied, the game's over" - (James Hetfield)
# 14
Locrian
Locrian
07/16/2001 2:30 am
Oh, you suggest that we should go see Hendrix in concert? Sounds like fun, should be really easy to do as well.
# 15
Bleak
Bleak
07/16/2001 2:38 am
I was thinkin some of you might be smart enouhg to know which band I was talking about. which was (if you had a singal brain cell in your head) would be MetallicA.
# 16
loner92
loner92
07/16/2001 7:00 pm
Dammit! I'm not talking about this new "mall-metal" (also know as rap-rock, nu-metal, and utter sh*t). That stuff isn't metal at all in my opinion. And I'm not just talking about "80's metal" either. There are TONS of current metal bands making superb music today, that is REAL metal, but you won't find them on the radio and in the public eye. Some examples: Iced Earth, Nevermore, Testament, Blind Guardian, Stratovarious, Flotsam and Jetsam, Noctornal Rites, Demons and Wizards, Kreator, Edguy, Sentenced, etc, etc.
The list could go on for days. Here are some sites where you can find real metal:
http://www.centurymedia.com
http://www.metaleagle.com
http://www.bwbk.com
http://www.bravewords.com
http://www.metal-is.com
http://www.metalrules.com
http://www.knac.com
http://www.metalsludge.com
http://www.icedearth.com
http://www.metalblade.com
http://www.megadeth.com

#@#!@@$$@!!!!!! Are my rants falling on DEAF ears??? @!#$#@!!!

# 17
Bleak
Bleak
07/16/2001 9:36 pm
I am talking about what started it for me, not you. Metal started for me the first time I ever heard MetallicA, Speed metal, Death Metal, whatever you want to call it I dont give a crap, that is the metal I feel in love with, soon after came the 70's and 60's metal, but the first for me was MetallicA, which based there type of Metal, on bands like Motorhead, ect, ok. I dont like the new Rap rock **** either, I am in a band formed around Brunswick, GA. We play all Metal 60's, 70's, and 80's. We also pla blues ect, we dont rap rock, for damn sure, I hate that **** too, becuase thats not Metal!, but you dont have to just pla 70's or 60's metal either.
# 18
Joseph
Joseph
07/17/2001 1:20 am
We could all analyze it to no end, but the truth is, when it comes to heavy metal, for most of us it was introduced into our lives in more ways than one.

Led Zeppelin, although they favorored toward acoustic ballads, with the combination of John Bonham's throbbing drums, and Jimmy Page's pulsing technique, that was enough to give your average Joe a wake up call, introducing themselves into a brand new genre of music. Of course Led Zeppelin aren't considered heavy metal, nor are they caragorized as metal, but these guys sure knew how to grab your attention, with their innovative style they made us think about rock in a new way. One thing is for sure, and thats that Led Zeppelin gave us the confidence to create our own brand of volatile emotion.

...Its all about the moment, that one special moment that encourages us to explore the many other factions of music, and with Led Zeppelin's music, with the various techniques combined into one, you just couldn't help asking the question as to whats next? When you think of Heavy Metal, Black Sabbath comes to mind, and yes in more ways than one these guys have always stuck to their guns as to what Heavy Metal was all about. Despite the constant change of vocalists, they really proved that their music was solid. Now most people I know swear that metal began with these guys, being that their music was so shocking for their time, and so obnoxious for their parents. But we all create our own speciual moments, and although Sabbath was one of the first bands I listenened to while growing up, Led Zeppelin really struck that chord within me. And in more ways than one, I think the fire in heavy metal began with these four guys, Because they gave millions of bands around the world the conviction to go with their instincts. And to create the music that best represented their personality, and if it meant cranking up your ampliflier than so be it....

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
# 19
Locrian
Locrian
07/17/2001 8:02 am
Sorry Bleak. You just have a tricky way of composing your sentences and must have confused my brain-cell-less brain. But, after decifering your paragraph, I agree with you entirely. Hey loner, thanks for listing those bands, I'll check them out. The sad part is, even though I'm always on the look out for quality metal, I hadn't heard of many of those bands. Thanks again.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.