question for LATS cable capacitance

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2006 8:00 pm
I was directed to this article by some people at the line6 forum and Id love to know what you think ?

http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/guitarcables/guitarcables.htm

Is this true or cork-sniffing horse-poop !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2006 1:52 am
That's a good presentation of what I think are valid data. If you search through some of the discussions here on the GT forum (my note-sharing with PonyOne on pot values comes to mind) you'll find lots of anecdotal support for what he's saying.

One reason I avoid single-coil setups is I don't like being held hostage by whatever I plug into. My humbucker guitars aren't quite as subject to drastic changes imposed by cable length, although I do use 1 Megohm pots. I generally use a 20-foot cable so that I can wander around a bit, and if I'm playing my VT-22, it's definitely unwise to get too close! Someone recently was asking about linking multiple amps like Tony Iommi's rig with six 100-Watt Laney heads. I pointed out that he used a treble booster to compensate for the treble loss through the long cables.

Note his finding that George L cables have lower capacitance than most brands. Word-of-mouth reports of improved clarity (less treble loss) with these cables tend to tally with his data. Bear in mind that his model only deals with a guitar plugged straight into an amp input. Adding pedals changes the situation dramatically. The output of most modern pedals is a low-impedance op-amp, which will not be nearly as sensitive to cable capacitance. Something vintage, like an Arbiter Fuzz-Face is something else again.

In summary: no earth-shaking revelations here - just solid backing for what critical observers have long remarked on. Thanks for the link. It's nice to have some hard evidence to point to. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2006 1:57 am
Cool, looks like I need to implement a strat cabling strategy.

Id be interested to see how Mogami Gold and Monster 500s compare !

Thanks mate

S
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2006 2:09 am
Don't get carried away! Comparing the 'worst' (Fender California) with the 'best' (George L) shows only subtle difference until you get to 20 feet or more. And again, if you use a 6-foot cable from your axe to a stomp-box, the cable from the pedal to the amp will have much less effect on the guitar tone than it would if you went straight from the axe to the amp.

Where the effect of cable capacitance shows most is with:

- High-value Tone & Volume pots.
- Low-inductance pickups like single-coils.
- long cables from the guitar to the amp

If I recall correctly, you use fairly short cables, like 10 or 12 feet, even when you plug straight in. And your new Variax has an active output (an op-amp), so it won't care what cable you use.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2006 2:26 am
I have a couple of Monster 500 6ft instrument cables that I think will see a bit more use.

Funny that I can't seem to find any info regarding the capacitance of Monster or Mogami cables (even the Mogami gold) on either of there respective web site. Lots of hot air about how they are the worlds greatest cable but no data to be seen anywhere ! !!
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2006 5:52 am
:rolleyes: Factae, non verbae!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/03/2006 1:59 pm
I love George L cables myself. You can tell the biggest difference when going straight into an amp, but once pedals and more cables are introduced, the difference it becomes less apparent. When recording, I only use George L's, because they do add some clarity and openness to the signal. When jamming on my live rig (not recording) I use a mix of cables. I find that my ears are quite sensative to the high end, so a guitar straight in with a 10' GL adds too much for my ears. Even with a 20' planet waves cable from guitar to pedal board, a mix of ~6" livewire/GL/dimarzio cables connecting pedals, and a 20' GL cable from board to amp, I have the presance knob completely off, and the treble knob around 11 o'clock. Some of the clarity is lost, but the trade off is minimal. It all depends on what sounds best to your ears.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
mhowell67
mhowell67
07/19/2012 1:46 am
The important thing for me is shielding. I use Planet Waves custom. They're cheapest I found that are 100% shielded.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/19/2012 2:44 am
Holy necromancy, Batman! 2006?

I use >South Creek Audio< cables these days. Very well made, high quality cable and jacks. For a really great price.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
jwsadler
jwsadler
08/14/2012 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI was directed to this article by some people at the line6 forum and Id love to know what you think ?

http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/guitarcables/guitarcables.htm

Is this true or cork-sniffing horse-poop !

The link is broken, but I am guessing it compares sound with different cable loadings. Rather than buying an expensive cable, a great way to avoid tone loss is to use an active preamp at your guitar output. The preamp has much lower output impedance than your pickups, and can drive the cable capacitance without noticeable loss. That removes shielding, capacitance, and cable microphonics as issues for your tone.

Here's one that you can make with a single FET that sounds great and is easy on batteries. There are others that go into your guitar, or on your strap.

See also Pete Cornish's post on The Case Against True Bypass
# 10
headshotX187
headshotX187
08/19/2012 8:36 pm
what would be a Good one for 10 to 12 feet??
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.