Tips on learning Lead guitar???

reddiva
reddiva
07/09/2001 3:44 am
I know Pent 5 scales,have know money for a teacher.
# 1
SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/09/2001 8:40 am
Hi Reddiva.
Personally I think lead is easier and more fun than rhythm.
Glad to see another inspiring lead.
Five scales huh? That's great. I started lead and only knew one.
Learn as many as you can, forwards and backwards.
Learn the Modes that go with them. By that time you'll be working that neck from one end to the other, and people will wanna watch as much as listen.
It will do nothing but help you later down the road.

In the mean time, listen to the songs you like, as long as there are some guitar leads in them. :)
If you know five scales, I'm assuming your a fair hand at snatching the rhythm and key from a CD. That is half the battle. Next find the scale, trial and error will work in the beginning. Later you can listen and tell what scale it's in, at that point, it'll be easier.
Keep your guitar tuned.
Listen and play with the song, and count on plenty of frustration. All music students have plenty of that. Just don't get discouraged. Determination and the love of music are two assets.

Find some decent tablature sites and snag some of the songs you would like to learn. Practice no more than three at any given time. A very old and wise rule.

If you don't have a CD or the cash to get a CD to go with the tab, download some MP3s that you can find tab for. That'll make it really easy.

The last two things I can tell you is, practice till it hurts, and,
Good luck.
Slidin' on.
# 2
fingers
fingers
07/12/2001 3:14 pm
Again, with no money for a teacher, check out the instructional web sites. Browse through the posted stuff on this site. There are plenty of scales you can learn, besure to learn them in all positions Even the chromatic scale has only 12 notes. All scales need to be learned in every position on the neck.

Your pentatonic scale, has 5 notes. It also has five seperate modes, each one starting from a different note within the scale.

Check out Runaway licks:basic by Raymond James on this web site, its under Blues There is an expanded scale that will get you playing all over the neck.

Good luck.
# 3
Tim Bock
Tim Bock
07/16/2001 3:03 am
In response to reddiva, when I was learning leads, another
thing I would do was to play a series of chord progressions,
record them, then play them back and fill in the blanks
with leads. Works for me. Give it a try. It's a great way
to learn and become familiar with the lead structure you're using.

# 4
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/16/2001 3:53 pm
People tend to forget they key to learn to play guitar or any musical instrument is your to have all your senses working well. You eyes to look, you hand or feet as or the whole body as well to feel the instrument, and the most important is your EAR to litsten what music is and what does it sounds like. Ok maybe i am wrong some masters are blind but what makes them a master. They have a very good Hearing that is their ear is working well and what they heard is interpreted into their mind and expressed it through their body that is when you play a guitar you will use your finger, and your mind tells you that your finger can play speed stuff or maybe you can play various scales in various ways and some even can play with their teeths and toungues. yes, this really happen when you say one of them is Steve Vai which he really express himself through sound. You may be able to play guitar in a few days but to master it is a long way to go. So, ok... it may not sound usefull for those who wants to learn more about guitar. So, first, learn basic chords, play a few songs, try to copy down a song or look for more tab, master the way to play variety of rythm styles. If you are more into lead, you must know chords and that is a must, It is such a shame when you know how to play lead but do not know how to play B minor chord and I have a friend like that. If you are more into classic, start with plucking and learn how to pluck very well and get more classical tabs. Then you will get somewhere. But i prefer to master everything which is of course have to go through everything.

Practice makes perfect and this word is true... just ask any master...
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/17/2001 11:00 am
A technique I learned just a few years ago really helped me in playing scales and stuff.
Try doing all your scales opposite to the way you're used to playing them.
In other words, if a scale is normally started with a downstroke..try starting it with an upstroke and continue on that way, going in the opposite direction you'd normally pick. It's really hard when you first start doing it but if you keep at it every time you practice your scales, after awhile you don't notice the difference anymore and you can start scales in any position without worrying which direction you're picking in.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.