View post (Would it be better for music if we let guitar take a hiatus?)

View thread

SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/08/2001 5:59 pm
The universe is a mix of ups and downs.
I see the lack of new, inovative guitar players at the moment as an industrial slump. And once more, the slump being caused by the recording industry, afraid to spend a buck on some unknown out of a club in some small town in Ohio, or Britsh Columbia.
It happened in the early 60s, most noticable.
Do wha, rama langa ding dong music really bottomed out. More than one recording exe said that the future of the guitar looks dim.
In late 1963 I'd been playing music for a bit over five years. Being fifteen and full of ideas, I was bored with the Four Seasons, Neil Sedaka, ect. I found myself turning to country, jazz, blues, looking for adventure I didn't find in Elvis.
Then one day someone showed up with a new sound.
The Beatles were like a guitar revival.
The slump was over as that Brit band spawned countless new ideas and groups. They weren't the only ones, just the most popular at the time. Others quickly took the light and their guitars gave inspirational sounds to us bored guitar players.
While rock was alive and well in England, Germany and Holland, it took a dive here in the states, and I acredit the slump to the recording exes. They called the shots that lead to the decline of the guitar. This was the motivating factor in the decline,,, $. There were plenty of very good players out playing around the country, but the exes were afraid to take a chance on them.

Someone will show up, maybe a few at around the same time. Someone will step up on stage and get the attention of the exes.
I still play clubs, do mostly blues now, do a lot of my own stuff as well as others. From the reaction in the clubs from the paying customers, the guitar is alive and well

One thing I see cropping up is the Label bands. They interview numerous singers and players and form a custom group with the sound the label people want, spending countless $ on training them and teaching them for what they or what they think the public is clamoring for.
So much takes place in the final editing too. Any dink off the streets can sound like Vai, Clapton, who ever when the mixing and editing is done.

Guitar music is in a slump. Just keep the faith.
Slidin' on.