have any of you seen that odd technique dragon force use

Fret spider
Fret spider
03/29/2006 10:51 pm
when i went to see a dragon force gig the other month i was very impressed with their speed and prosition, but one thing astounded me more. quite often in a solo, the lead guitarests would flip their freting hand round the guitar so that their wrist was above the fret board. sorry this is a little unclear, so i shall atempt again.

normally when you play guitar your wrist hangs below the neck. if your first finger (index )was on the fith fret, your second finger (the one you make rude guestures with ;) ) would be above the 6th fret, your third finger would be above the 7th fret, and your pinky would be above the 8th fret.

but dragon force guitarests take their freting hand off the neck, turn their wrists so the back of the had faces upwards rase the hand above the neck, so that the fingers point downwards towards the floor. now if you started on the 5th fret, your pinky will be fretting the fith fret, the third finger will be above the 6th fret, the second finger would be over the 7th fret and the first finger would be over the 8th fret.

(hope thats clear, just in acase i always forget wich way you count your fingers i assume it is from the thumb then the first etc)

anyway what i want to know is if their is any particular merit in this technique. it could just be a stage trick or a way to rest put their hands in a different position so that they dont get tierd as quikly. but before i try and learn how to play runs like this i want to know if it has any real benifit. my only guess why it would be good would be that the little finger will tend to fret notes and not move this will allow the stronger possible quiker fingers to do more work, therefore speding you up. or possible it alows you to strech futher.

anyway any of you guys/gals have any thoughts??
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/30/2006 2:11 am
its just some trick that looks cool. its alot harder to do and makes playing by no means easier. just is cool, thats all.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/30/2006 2:33 am
yeah, it sounds more like showmanship than anything else.
The only merit would be if you spent years honing the technique to the point where it had an advantage over playing the usual way. ie, like being able to play unusual licks not possible the other way, or piano tapping etc..
Jeff Healey plays using that technique all the time except he holds the guitar in his lap.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.