Wow.

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/30/2006 2:47 am
My favourite movie is always changing. Right now, close contenders are Sideways, Sunshine, No Man's Land, Sin City, and About Schmidt.

And yes, I'm back early! I've done four of my six exams, and the next one isn't until Monday!

What? Nobody noticed I was gone? Oh... *stands in the corner and wilts*
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/30/2006 4:58 am
+1 for Sin City

"I don't know about you, but i'm havin' a ball!" :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/30/2006 5:01 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings

"I don't know about you, but i'm havin' a ball!" :cool:

Haha yeah, there are some classic lines in that film.

"Modern cars. They all look like electric shavers."

"I'm about as expert as a palsy patient performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench."

And, just before the Hartigan ambushes the thug in his apartment:

"I can only express puzzlement that borders on alarm..." :D

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/30/2006 5:20 am
Shawshank Redemption was awesome in short story form as well. For those who don't know it was a part of a four story compilation by Stephan King called Different Seasons. It was in there with Apt Pupil (also a movie), The Long Walk, and another story of which I don't recall the name but definately remember the story. The former is about a kid who meets an old Nazi General who is wanted for crimes against humanity. He blackmails the old man into telling him the morbid details of the death camps. Very interisting little story. The Long Walk is about a contest where the prize is anything you want. Forever. The contestants are young boys still not yet out of high school. The game is you just keep walking until you drop. The last one standing or should I say living is the winner. They shoot you if you can't go on. The last one is about a man who is invited to an exclusive story telling club. Most of the members are elderly. They meet at regular intervals and tell stories some better than others but the one that the guy tells at the end........

Sorry I seem to have carried on a bit. Read. It's good for your creativity. If you want to be songwriters it's necassary.

This public service message brought to you by me.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/30/2006 5:51 am
so what section of my movie store would I find a movie like Shawshank Redemption? I've never seen it. and I need to find some movies I've never seen because I've seen almost everything on the new release rack at my movie store (all the ones that look interesting anyway)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/30/2006 6:02 am
Drama probably. I recommend reading the story first. Just a couple hundred pages it's not a whole novel or anything.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/30/2006 7:37 pm
I just saw Pink Floyd's The Wall like a week ago...

what a weird movie. i liked it though.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/30/2006 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneMy all time favorites include Apocalypse Now, Clockwork Orange, Rushmore, Bottlerocket, Sin City, Sexy Beast, Donnie Darko, A Human Comedy, Suicide Club, Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories," and The Salton Sea.

I loved Sin City... maybe it's not a good indicator that I though it was funny... well I mean the violence is so over the top I don't see how you can't. But damn, that was a slick movie. I loved how unabashedly gory it was.

I thought that Rushmore and Bottlerocket were hilarious; great dry humor flicks. A Human Comedy made me cry... such a sweet movie. Suicide Club is just awesome for how bizarre it is... it's right up there with Sin City in over-the-top violence, but, the over the top violence involves Japanese schoolgirls so it's cuter and more amusing.

Katushiro Otomo's Memories are three animes, each about 45 minutes long, based on shorts comics he did (he's the guy who made Akira, Ghost In The Shell, and some other big ones), but directed by his friends instead of by him. The first story, Magnetic Rose, is one of the creepiest, haunting and touching pieces of film I've ever seen; it's about a group of space salvage workers who go around and take scrap off of abandoned and derelict space ships a couple hundred years in the future, who end up on an enormous space station that seems to be haunted. The main character is Heinz, a German guy who you end up discovering lost his five year old daughter in a tragic accident, and who figures out that the station is more or less using his memories to try to kill him (best line: as he's shooting everything up, "MEMORIES ARE NO ESCAPE!" it's really powerful in the context of the film). The second story is about a guy who's a chronic doofus/screw-up who's always sick that works at a pharmeceutical company in rural Japan, who takes an experimental pill to try to relieve his allergies. He ends up taking the wrong pill (he couldn't remember whether it was the red pill or the blue pill :D) and it turns him into a walking stink bomb. But the stink bomb is a nerve toxin. It's a nice offset to the depth of the first story. They carried the DVD at Blockbuster and still probably have it, and definitely carry it at Best Buy.

One of my favourite Japanese films is Kaze no tani no Naushika (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds), an '80s Studio Ghibli animation. Actually quite a powerful movie.

And don't worry, you're not the only one who thought Sin City was funny in parts. I cracked up in the part where Jackie Boy is crawling along the ground with the swastika-shaped throwing knife in his ass, muttering, "This isn't funny!"

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/30/2006 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91I just saw Pink Floyd's The Wall like a week ago...

what a weird movie. i liked it though.

They say its best to watch that movie on acid, that it makes it more understandable heh heh. I happen to have that movie in my dvd collection.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9
stackny
stackny
03/31/2006 12:55 am
Whos the jerk who told me to watch Donnie Darko? That was one of the most depressing movies Ive ever seen.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2006 1:23 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyWhos the jerk who told me to watch Donnie Darko? That was one of the most depressing movies Ive ever seen.

You thought that was depressing? I thought it was kinda funny. Here, if you want a really ****ed up movie find and watch Irreversible. Now that movie left a dent in my brain that won't soon be forgotten.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
stackny
stackny
03/31/2006 1:26 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsYou thought that was depressing? I thought it was kinda funny. Here, if you want a really ****ed up movie find and watch Irreversible. Now that movie left a dent in my brain that won't soon be forgotten.

If you thought it was depressing, I best stay away from it. It did have its funny moments, but it always depresses me when a movie doesnt turn out the way I want it.
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/31/2006 1:33 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyIf you thought it was depressing, I best stay away from it. It did have its funny moments, but it always depresses me when a movie doesnt turn out the way I want it.

you should watch "history of violence" it's nice and new.. the way it ends only filled my head with about a zillion questions. but after sitting through the entire credits trying to figure out what had just happened, I came upon a conclusion. good movie though.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2006 1:52 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyIf you thought it was depressing, I best stay away from it. It did have its funny moments, but it always depresses me when a movie doesnt turn out the way I want it.

In all fairness I really don't know that I'd call it depressing. It just got gayed up towards the end.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 14
stackny
stackny
03/31/2006 1:57 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsIn all fairness I really don't know that I'd call it depressing. It just got gayed up towards the end.

If you thought it was gayed up, then I best stay away from it. :p
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2006 2:09 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnesorry.

i thought it was one of the most awesome films ever.

I would agree. It was a pretty good movie. Though it's a tad bit of a quick grab for those douche-like teenage, angst filled, goths/punks/emos/whatevers. Kinda like everything Tim Burton has his hand in.

Hulk Smash!!

# 16
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/31/2006 2:11 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyWhos the jerk who told me to watch Donnie Darko? That was one of the most depressing movies Ive ever seen.

There's nothing wrong with a depressing flick every now and then. Blade Runner: The Director's Cut scared and depressed the living hell out of me, and it's one of my favourite movies.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 17
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2006 2:14 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusThere's nothing wrong with a depressing flick every now and then. Blade Runner: The Director's Cut scared and depressed the living hell out of me, and it's one of my favourite movies.

That movie depressed you? Why? I mean, I can understand Donnie Darko, but Blade Runner? And yeah, I've go the director's cut as well, and it's a great movie, I just don't see the depression in it. I can take a wild guess as to what you're referring to, but I dunno.

Hulk Smash!!

# 18
stackny
stackny
03/31/2006 2:20 am
Hey, I didnt say I didnt enjoy the movie. I like anything that can emotionally move me, cuz thats fairly difficult to do. Idk though, this past little while Ive been starting to see things in a new light, so I try to get the most out of the meaningless.
# 19
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/31/2006 2:21 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyHey, I didnt say I didnt enjoy the movie. I like anything that can emotionally move me, cuz thats fairly difficult to do. Idk though, this past little while Ive been starting to see things in a new light, so I try to get the most out of the meaningless.

Out of the meaningless? What do you mean by that?

Hulk Smash!!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.