Singing IN TUNE

holy diver
holy diver
03/26/2006 8:27 pm
Hey guys, i've found that i can fairly easily sing whilst playing, but often i am singing 'badly' and was wondering whether anyone could give me any tips on improving my singing or any exercises, or is singing something that, you're born with, or not born with? :confused:
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/26/2006 8:45 pm
oh yea i know wat you mean... well... practise... yes you dont wanna hear that word but yeah..i have been having trouble with singing and playing as well before... but now im beginning to be able to do it almost instanteneusly... if thats how u spell it anyway...i gues once your picking or strumming hand gets repetitive to the extend that you dont think abt it anymore enables you to focus on singing...thats wat i do anyway...i keep my hands moving but i dont think abt them...i guess the practise will help you strum or pick without thinking abt it all the time...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/26/2006 9:13 pm
Singing is an instrument just like any other, so if ya wanna get good, you have to practice and work on things like breathing etc..
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/28/2006 5:59 pm
Make sure you warm up your voice before you start playing and singing. It may improve the sound better, and make it easier to sing. I hate singing without warming up, especially since I've started in choir. Singing badly isn't the worst thing ever. There are plenty of awful famous singers.

# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/30/2006 4:08 am
I read somewhere that George Benson warms up by playing scales, and singing each note as he plays it. I've tried this, and it's improved my co-ordination. You can hear George doing it in the guitar solo at the beginning of "This Masquerade", except he's improvising some really cool licks instead of just spiralling up and down scales.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
03/31/2006 5:07 am
Hi, I know exactly what your going through and I have some exercises that ( if used correctly, ) will help your singing skills increase.

First of all, do NOT try to sing and play at the same time at FIRST. You must recognize and seperate the voice as an instrument of it's own. You must treat your voice just like you would your guitar. You would never play a song on guitar with out warming up and the same goes for your voice. Here are a few things you can do to warm-up your voice.

1. Rattle your throat, trying to clear it as much as possible.
2. Try to sing the lowest pitch you possibly can and then slowly ascend ( stepwise ) all the way to the highest pitch you can sing.
These are just two things you can do, but they will warm-up your voice and allow you to sing your maximum range while practicing.

There are many exercises you can do to practice singing on pitches, but I will list one ( as it is a good foundation for a beginning vocalist. )

1. ( This will only work if you have basic theory knowledge by the way. ) Hopefully, you are familiar with the C major scale, and if you are then you can do this exercise.
It will involve singing on scale degrees within the C Major Scale.
Ex: You will play the 3rd fret of the A string on the guitar ( Which is a C ) and then slide your voice up to that pitch until it matches perfectly.

2. Now since you understand the basic design of this exercise, I can give you some patterns to practice.

Begin by singing scale degree 1=C, then go up the scale all the way until you reach the octave. It will look like this.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C D E F G A B C
Then descend all the way back down until you reach Scale degree 1 again.

Once you master this, and if you are still interested in learning, I will post some more patterns you can practice.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

-Kyle Hicks ( Kole )
-http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.