View post (Getting started...)

View thread

Gaddy
Gaddy
03/21/2006 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: lyricchicHey,
I can play pretty well, but I've never tried to write any of my own stuff. To be honest I'm a bit at a loss on how to get started. Any suggestions?

Are you planning to write lyrics first, then put music to them, or the other way round? My writing partner in "Such Perfect Liars", Jim Underhill, was a music first subscriber, but my own opinion is, you write the words you feel, so you have the 'mood' of the song. Then it's a matter of deciding what structure suits that mood.
Don't get sucked into the 'correct way' to write songs, or the right 'chord progression' if it sounds right to you, then it is right. Some tracks have been made with virtually no thought to conventional structure, but it hasn't detracted from the impact of the song. Get the words down (I'm guessing from your handle, you're OK with that part of the process) then sit and feel your way around the song.
I never labour on anything for long, and if I don't nail it within half an hour or so, I move on. You can always go back to it, and often when you do, you get a 'Eureka' moment. Besides, until you record the song, it's not set in stone, so try different ideas with them. Sorry its a bit 'general' but you did say you want to get started, and the right frame of mind is the best way to start. Never 'force yourself' to do lyrics, they will come, and often at the least convenient times. I always carry notebook and pen, even to the toilet. I wrote 'Always be that way' on a ten minue bus ride home.
Good luck!
[FONT=Garamond]Steve Gad[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You may hear me upstairs, stamping my feet and kicking the furniture. That's just me 'warming up!'[/FONT]