Getting started...

lyricchic
lyricchic
03/20/2006 2:12 am
Hey,
I can play pretty well, but I've never tried to write any of my own stuff. To be honest I'm a bit at a loss on how to get started. Any suggestions?
Don't worry. I shred.
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
03/20/2006 3:24 pm
The most basic way is to probably just start with a simple chord progression. Then hum out a melody... or harmony if you really wish... And then fit some words into it. Before you know it you'll be able to tell which words fit where and what chords are best for your voice and so forth. Finding that stuff out is pretty important to finding your own individual style. Not everyone can sing multiple genres of music so just find your niche and get creative. Having some lyrical ideas jotted down helps sometimes too. Sometimes you can't fit something that you write down with the music you want... so you'll have to adapt it. A good exercise for that is to write a phrase like.... "My alarm clock woke me up at 5 this morning" and writing it in as many different ways as possible... like "5am, the day begins, my ears bleedin" or "the buzzin around in my head... make it stop 5am" just mess around with stuff like that and some simple chord progs... then work in some riffs and stuff. It helps too to get a cheap 4 track recorder or something to record ideas on....
# 2
Gaddy
Gaddy
03/21/2006 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: lyricchicHey,
I can play pretty well, but I've never tried to write any of my own stuff. To be honest I'm a bit at a loss on how to get started. Any suggestions?

Are you planning to write lyrics first, then put music to them, or the other way round? My writing partner in "Such Perfect Liars", Jim Underhill, was a music first subscriber, but my own opinion is, you write the words you feel, so you have the 'mood' of the song. Then it's a matter of deciding what structure suits that mood.
Don't get sucked into the 'correct way' to write songs, or the right 'chord progression' if it sounds right to you, then it is right. Some tracks have been made with virtually no thought to conventional structure, but it hasn't detracted from the impact of the song. Get the words down (I'm guessing from your handle, you're OK with that part of the process) then sit and feel your way around the song.
I never labour on anything for long, and if I don't nail it within half an hour or so, I move on. You can always go back to it, and often when you do, you get a 'Eureka' moment. Besides, until you record the song, it's not set in stone, so try different ideas with them. Sorry its a bit 'general' but you did say you want to get started, and the right frame of mind is the best way to start. Never 'force yourself' to do lyrics, they will come, and often at the least convenient times. I always carry notebook and pen, even to the toilet. I wrote 'Always be that way' on a ten minue bus ride home.
Good luck!
[FONT=Garamond]Steve Gad[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You may hear me upstairs, stamping my feet and kicking the furniture. That's just me 'warming up!'[/FONT]
# 3
Gaddy
Gaddy
03/21/2006 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman Having some lyrical ideas jotted down helps sometimes too. Sometimes you can't fit something that you write down with the music you want... so you'll have to adapt it.

On the subject of 'ideas' I find it a good dea to jot down stuff all on one page, so you have lots of differnt styles, line lengths, moods, etc. Don't start a page with "Song #1" at the top, and try to write the whole thing. You need to brainstorm differnt ideas, like aschleman said.

I have several notepad files called 'Jotter' that are a mish mash of random ideas. When you have an idea for the music, just find what 'type' of lyric will best be served by the music.
Here's an example of my latest jotter page. I like chaos cos it suits me. (another line there you see, unintentionally!

D/S = 'different song or different idea'

Her mother told her sex was dirty
unless you're trying for a child
she thinks to wear odd socks is flirty
a...nd... just... a touch......... too........ wild.

(** last line done in an almost 'operatic' form. There is nothing wrong with an unuasual, or funny intro to a song. It can grab people's attention' On one recent track I have a dog barking and birdsong - denoting a summer's day, (Beautiful Day) and on another a snatch of a 'telephone coversation' to set up the piece (although on a later mix, I took it out) and the general mood (Always be that way). Written it can seem corny, but if it sets up the mood, do it. There are NO RULES! **)

D/S
"she said 'look at your face'
the world can see you're f****d
toward your graves you race
hell bent on self-destruct"

D/S
(** sometimes you can repeat parts of lines, to make the words fit. For example Morrissey almost always repeats the entire first line of all his solo stuff. Just using him as an example I call this style 'simple repeats' ** )

"I feel such a disgrace
for having lied to you
I know how much you hate
how much you hate being lied to"

(** I often (on paper) number the syllables, connected by lines of different length for the length of time that note is held, so I know how to sing them - not easy to explain here **)

D/S
** ( on reading this idea back, it didn't scan right, so I added to it, for flow (in brackets ) **

"A stream of concience
that feeds a pool of thought
our love (that) had (a) life once
a breath that can't be bought"

** (I'd then think 'ahead' on the word 'bought', knowing I was going to expand on the 'surreal theme' even further, ending with the word 'Taught' this time.') **

"A field full of dreams
a snatch of happiness we caught
a stifled silent scream to end
the lessons we aren't taught"

(** Which means anything you like. I like to create an atmosphere, so the listener can paint his/her own images of interpretation, in their minds eye**)

D/S
( ** This is 'machine-gun style, almost without pause, and the word '**Muffled**' (when sung) actually belongs right after the word 'Heard' although 'correct grannar would have it where it is. This is part of a song about growing up wanting to be a pop star**)

"A touch of bathroom reverb
take the mirror from the wall
The T.Rex and Bowie we heard **
Muffled bass through next door's wall"

"The Tennis racket Fender
and the hairbrush microphone
belting out 'Return to Sender'
every time I was alone'

**Dont be afraid to write real events, in a slighly distorted way**

(**Just general illustrations of there being no hard and fast rules. Its so hard to get across in writing, which is ironic to say that's exactly what we are talking about. The basic method for me is, if you have enough pieces of ideas, as many pages as you can turn out, then you can mix and match (the cut-up technique) with often amazing results. My trouble is, at my stage of my writing, is that I have just about "Said it all".
Listen to all of the advice, as it's free. Then take what you can use, and set about your task. Let us know how you get on, and don't be afraid to post up your ideas.
[FONT=Garamond]Steve Gad[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You may hear me upstairs, stamping my feet and kicking the furniture. That's just me 'warming up!'[/FONT]
# 4
Blaster7
Blaster7
03/24/2006 10:45 am
I know how you feel but heres a tip on how i do it!..put pen to paper an start writing down your feelings weather it be form an occasion or a memory that you can recall, do this....now put an easy(or hard)chord progression together of your own style an choice...now~~comes the hard part!While playing the chords sing the words you have written make it sound kinda the same as the chords sound for a start...use high n low voice,breaks just like a song.Try it yourl be surprised how you get on.i hope ive been helpful,Best of Luck..:-)
Blaster....
If i could write you a song,you and i would soar like eagles...
# 5
DarrenShahinian
DarrenShahinian
03/29/2006 7:09 am
Find out what emotions you want to convey in the song first. The music should be an illustration of whatever story you are trying to tell (so to speak)
# 6
Zack Uidl
Zack Uidl
04/20/2006 9:44 pm
To add to what Darren said, find chords that will emphasize what you want to portray. Example: Minor chords = darker and sad music while major = happy sounding music. Choose you chords wisely.
# 7
solo bass man
solo bass man
05/08/2006 9:09 pm
try playing some bar chords along a couple different scales. try using all modes of the scales too. usually something good comes out of that for me.
Solo Bass Man

MySpace

My Band Space
# 8
justthefacts
justthefacts
05/11/2006 4:36 am
Just my 2 cents worth.

When i try and write something original i start out with a basic approach.
Lyrics to get me started then i will hum a few chords to myself and see what fits then build from there.
I find that writing the intro music hardest..i tend to over do it sometimes but i am glad i have band mates who are on the same page as i am when it comes to writing most of the time.

One thing i can suggest is getting a little pocket recorder for when you get something in your head. you can sing it and record it which will help you later when you can sit down and work on it some more.

anyway... thats all i have for now.
# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/12/2006 12:36 am
Never force yourself to write a song. If you don't feel a good vibe or creative or whatever, just wait until you are in a more artistic mood. Also, find things that put you in an artistic mood... i.e. concerts, movies, exercise, potato chips, whatever.

# 10
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/12/2006 3:36 pm
when it comes to writing songs, i've always taken the whole write what you feel approach, however usually i end up with a load of crap on a page and a good idea, like u spill out your mind and there's a lot of mental/verbal/emotional diahroeah and then you hit somethin that is kinda awesome, and then you explore that emotion, or that topic/issue more and focus on that. Sometimes it helps to think of a central theme for a song and then write the chorus first if you're on a deadline or something, and then fill the rest in, but writing on a deadline, although it sometimes works, it mostly doesn't.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.