just bought a four track

lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/19/2006 7:55 pm
i just recently bought a four track recorder and i guess i just wanted some feedback as to the volume levels of the tracks. i get confused about the whole "left, right" thing. i just put all the tracks at the middle. what sounds the best? (e.g. bass at left, drums at righ,lead at right) the songs are on myspace.com search for the bands "attack of the tacky"...
# 1
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/19/2006 7:56 pm
the first song (1 out of 4) wasnt done on the 4 track
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2006 10:02 pm
Songs usually sound best if the drums and bass are centred, and the guitars are panned left and right. The vocals are usually best centered as well.

One thing you can do is record the drums on track 1. Then do the bass on track 2. Then bounce both those tracks down to track 4.
Start again on track one and do guitar for the left track, then use track 2 for the right guitar. Then use channel 3 for vocals.
If you need to do harmonies, you can record them at the same time as you do the left and right guitar tracks or plan things out ahead of time and use the remaining tracks to build up a 4 part harmony.
As far as levels are concerned, the hotter the better. Get the levels as high as you can without distortion.
Plus if you do a lot of bouncing down, the less noise the better, so get rid of any amp hiss or room sounds.
# 3
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/20/2006 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeSongs usually sound best if the drums and bass are centred, and the guitars are panned left and right. The vocals are usually best centered as well.

One thing you can do is record the drums on track 1. Then do the bass on track 2. Then bounce both those tracks down to track 4.
Start again on track one and do guitar for the left track, then use track 2 for the right guitar. Then use channel 3 for vocals.
If you need to do harmonies, you can record them at the same time as you do the left and right guitar tracks or plan things out ahead of time and use the remaining tracks to build up a 4 part harmony.
As far as levels are concerned, the hotter the better. Get the levels as high as you can without distortion.
Plus if you do a lot of bouncing down, the less noise the better, so get rid of any amp hiss or room sounds.

how do i "bounce" the drums and bass down to track 4? is there a way to record more than 4 tracks?
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2006 2:10 pm
Bouncing means to take 2 or more tracks, and record them onto a new track together.
So, for instance, you take track 1 and track 2 and set them to play at the levels you want, and set up track 4 to record them.
When you're finished you'll have tracks 1 & 2 on track 4 and you can erase tracks 1 & 2 and put 2 more instruments on.

As far as how it's done, it should explain the specific method for your machine in the instruction manual. It depends on the model & whether it's a digital machine or tape etc...

You can't record more than 4 tracks, but with some careful planning, you can get as many tracks as you want bounced down onto those 4 tracks.

For instance, record your drum machine on track 1.
Record a bass on track 2.
Record a guitar on track 3.

Now bounce those three tracks down to track 4.

Now you've got drums, bass and guitar on track 4.

Erase tracks 1,2 and 3

Now record another guitar on track 1, a keyboard on track 2, then bounce those two tracks down to track 3.

Erase tracks 1 and 2

Now record a vocal harmony on track 1.
Then bounce that to track 2 while singing a harmony live into a mic.

Now you'll have a 2 part harmony on track 2.

Erase track 1 and lay down your main vocal.

So when you're finished you'll have

Track 1: Main vocals
Track 2: 2 Part vocal harmony
Track 3: Keyboard
Track 4: Drums/Bass/Guitar

Basically, you've got the equivilant now of 7 tracks.

The only drawback to this is that the more tracks you bounce, the more noise is introduced into the signal. Plus you have less options as far as playing the tracks back in stereo.

Generally what I used to do is record the drum machine on track 1, while simultaneously playing the bass guitar live. That way I'd have a first generation recording of the drums and bass on one track rather than bouncing it down. Then I'd use the remaining tracks to build up harmonies and a vocal line to bounce down to track 2.
Then I'd use tracks 3 and 4 for guitar tracks. Playing basically the same thing on both tracks and then panning them left and right to get stereo.

You can also plan things out way ahead of time and add things on empty tracks (for instance on the harmony track where there isn't any singing, you could add a few tom hits or a lead line) then when you mix the whole song down, keep your fingers poised on the pan and volume.

You can also take that final mix and record it in stereo to your computer. Then transfer it back to 2 tracks on the 4 track and you have 2 free tracks to use again.

It takes a lot of practice and experimenting. It probably took me a year before I got decent at it.
# 5
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/29/2006 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeBouncing means to take 2 or more tracks, and record them onto a new track together.
So, for instance, you take track 1 and track 2 and set them to play at the levels you want, and set up track 4 to record them.
When you're finished you'll have tracks 1 & 2 on track 4 and you can erase tracks 1 & 2 and put 2 more instruments on.

As far as how it's done, it should explain the specific method for your machine in the instruction manual. It depends on the model & whether it's a digital machine or tape etc...

You can't record more than 4 tracks, but with some careful planning, you can get as many tracks as you want bounced down onto those 4 tracks.

For instance, record your drum machine on track 1.
Record a bass on track 2.
Record a guitar on track 3.

Now bounce those three tracks down to track 4.

Now you've got drums, bass and guitar on track 4.

Erase tracks 1,2 and 3

Now record another guitar on track 1, a keyboard on track 2, then bounce those two tracks down to track 3.

Erase tracks 1 and 2

Now record a vocal harmony on track 1.
Then bounce that to track 2 while singing a harmony live into a mic.

Now you'll have a 2 part harmony on track 2.

Erase track 1 and lay down your main vocal.

So when you're finished you'll have

Track 1: Main vocals
Track 2: 2 Part vocal harmony
Track 3: Keyboard
Track 4: Drums/Bass/Guitar

Basically, you've got the equivilant now of 7 tracks.

The only drawback to this is that the more tracks you bounce, the more noise is introduced into the signal. Plus you have less options as far as playing the tracks back in stereo.

Generally what I used to do is record the drum machine on track 1, while simultaneously playing the bass guitar live. That way I'd have a first generation recording of the drums and bass on one track rather than bouncing it down. Then I'd use the remaining tracks to build up harmonies and a vocal line to bounce down to track 2.
Then I'd use tracks 3 and 4 for guitar tracks. Playing basically the same thing on both tracks and then panning them left and right to get stereo.

You can also plan things out way ahead of time and add things on empty tracks (for instance on the harmony track where there isn't any singing, you could add a few tom hits or a lead line) then when you mix the whole song down, keep your fingers poised on the pan and volume.

You can also take that final mix and record it in stereo to your computer. Then transfer it back to 2 tracks on the 4 track and you have 2 free tracks to use again.

It takes a lot of practice and experimenting. It probably took me a year before I got decent at it.

i tried doing that but it doesnt work on mine. its a tascam porta studio. its anolog. i am confused. i think the only way i can do it is play along with it while i mix it down. and even then i can only add one additional trk(well you know what i mean)
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/29/2006 4:41 pm
Originally Posted by: lifeis@songi tried doing that but it doesnt work on mine. its a tascam porta studio. its anolog. i am confused. i think the only way i can do it is play along with it while i mix it down. and even then i can only add one additional trk(well you know what i mean)

Well, I can guarantee it does it.
You just have to figure out how. It should even mention 'bouncing' tracks in the instruction manual.
# 7
Killadey
Killadey
04/02/2006 4:48 am
Right i just wasted half an hour trying to post, before it said i wasnt logged in (when i was) and it wont let me copy/paste from the previous page (wtf) so your now gonna get the short version of my answer.....

record on all four tracks, hook your tascam up to a hi-fi/stereo, mix off onto the new tape (in the stereo), put the new tape in the tascam and voila 2 more tracks to add stuff on!

If you play live whilst mixing you can have up to 8 tracks that way.

Also this will work with a P.C too! Mix down onto your comp, then record your P.C output on your tascam.

btw, i cant really understand why anyone would use a tascam type thing, when you have a P.C with free sequencers out there (kristal,audacity ect)
Exept for getting quick ideas down of coarse

anyway hope that helps!

Hello to everyone on the board!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.