Pentatonic Scale Help...Please!

RudeBoy1979
RudeBoy1979
07/04/2001 7:41 am
When can I use a pentatonic scale? over power chords? what kind of progressions do they work over. If i had a progression that went 1-6-5-4, what pentatonic scale do i use? Any other info on soloing with pentatonic scales or soloing over power chords would be helpful. thank you!
"Another thing that pissed me off, talkin' about who started punk rock music. Was it Sex Pistols in England? Was it the Ramones in the Velvet Underground in New York? 'It was the Ramones!' 'It was the Sex Pistols!' Raahh! Who cares who started it?! It's music. I don't know who started it, and I don't give a ****." - SLC Punk
# 1
SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/04/2001 10:35 am
Hi Rude.
I assume you've seen the diagram of the pentatonic scale and know the finger postions.
Every song follows one of several scales. The pentatonic scale is probably the most used and popular.
Lets say your using the pentatonic scale in the Key of A. If you begin on the sixth string, fifth fret, A note, that is the root. As you go up the scale, you'll hit the same notes that would be played with power chords, triads, and barre and open chords.
Depending on if your in a major or minor scale, all the chords would fall in to the pattern under the scale your in.
The same holds true for progressions.
One thing that may help you and that is to learn the modes of the scales. More patterns within a scale.
There are seven modes on each degree of the scale. Here are their names.
1. Ionian.
2. Dorian.
3. Phrygian.
4. Lydian.
5. Mixolydian.
6. Aeolian.
7. Locrain.

It's work, but if you learn these modes, you'll improve your playing in any scales your in. Minor, Major, Aug, 7th, don't matter. You'll be able to work the entire neck of the guitar in any Key.
Use a search engine and type in 'Guitar Modes'.

I've been playing guitar for over forty years and I use these all the time.
Good luck.
Slidin' on.
# 2
Locrian
Locrian
07/06/2001 5:13 am
The pentatonic scale works over practically anything. You can use it in rock, metal, blues, whatever. There are minor and major pentatonic scales, but the minor scale in used much more extensively. When people speak of the pentatonic scale, it is the minor version which they are referring to. The pentatonic minor scale is the most simple scale. It is a substrate of the minor scale, which, in turn, is derived from the chromatic scale. Start with one of the pentatonic forms, and learn it really well. From there you can make cool riffs and even put together a solo.
This is the most common form:

A minor pentatonic:
-------------------------------------5---8---
------------------------------5---8----------
-----------------------5---7-----------------
----------------5---7------------------------
---------5---7-------------------------------
--5---8--------------------------------------

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.