I need help in identifying a guitar

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/13/2006 5:39 am
right, so I go over to this friend of mine's house today. I've known this dude for quite a while, but yet I've never been to his house. so anyways, we're in his room, and I see he's got this guitar. I'm like "dude, I didn't know you played guitar" he's like "I don't, my uncle gave that to me, but I never learned" so, I'm like, alright, cool. I pick it up, strum a chord.. it's seriously out of tune, action is high, trem isn't level, it's extremely dusty... all in all, the guitar is in terrible shape, it needs some definite TLC. so I'm like "hey, I'll buy this off you" and then I offered him $100 cash on the spot. he said no because he didn't know how much the guitar was worth, so I said I try and research and see if I could find out what it's worth. here's the best description I can give you:
Jackson shaped headstock, though there was no graphics or decals on the headstock at all.
24-fret maple fretboard
floyd rose trem
2 pickups, a bridge humbucker, and a neck single coil that is slanted (like the bridge position pickup of a strat)
strat body style
the guitar is apparently from the 70's or 80's
bolt on neck
the neck pocket says "charvel" and with little words under that says "by jackson" or something like that
only one knob, a volume knob
3 way pickup switch

that's about all I can tell you. so does anyone think they can help me identify and help put a price tag on it's worth? thanks
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/13/2006 3:04 pm
Well, I'm guessing it's a Charvel. Charvel is one of Jackson's sub-lines, like Squier is to Fender. I couldn't tell you the model or anything though. If you look up Charvel, maybe you could try and find one that looks similar.
Click'ms.
Sorry I can't help more.
# 2
G-Thunda
G-Thunda
03/13/2006 3:40 pm
Does it look anything like this?

# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/13/2006 8:18 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckWell, I'm guessing it's a Charvel. Charvel is one of Jackson's sub-lines, like Squier is to Fender. I couldn't tell you the model or anything though. If you look up Charvel, maybe you could try and find one that looks similar.
Click'ms.
Sorry I can't help more.

Actually brother, Jackson is one of Charvels sub-lines. Grover Jackson used to work in the Charvel custom shop, when randy Rhoads approache Charvel with his V design...Charvel opted not to produce it, as it was too weird, but allowed Jackson to brand it under his own name.

A charvel from that era is worth a hell of a lot more that 100$ tho...depending on what model and such it could fetch a pretty penny.

Charvels are really really really nice guitars...and have become rather collectable...(I say rather, not very)
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/13/2006 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaActually brother, Jackson is one of Charvels sub-lines.

Well, you learn something new every day!
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/13/2006 8:28 pm
Originally Posted by: G-ThundaDoes it look anything like this?

sort of.. the fretboard is maple, not rosewood. it has 24 frets. it only has one knob. the switch is like a fender, but with only 3 positions instead of 5. there is no middle pickup. the neck pickup doesn't go straight across, it's angled like the bridge position pickup of a strat. the neck pickup was like one of those double railed, strat sized humbuckers, and the bridge pickup said "seymour duncan" so they may have been aftermarket pickups. and it's finish is like a crackle-something or other, it's really hard to explain.

in my research, I've found that it's probably a charvel model 2 or 3 of some kind. year 1986 to 1988. runs about $250-$450 on ebay, though in much better condition then his.

I know it's worth more then $100, but he doesn't, if I gave that guitar the kind of care and attention it deserved, I think it could be a pretty nice axe though. seeing this guitar like this was kinda like watching an animal being abused, you just want to help the poor thing in any way you can. plus I just hate to see what seems to be such a nice guitar go to waste on someone who doesn't even play. I'll offer him $150 or $175 and see what he says.
my spyspace
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/13/2006 8:31 pm
also, the headstock was shaped like this (not looked like it, but had the same shape)

EDIT: I changed the picture, because I think the headstock was reversed... I'm not 100% sure, but I think so.
my spyspace
# 7
G-Thunda
G-Thunda
03/13/2006 10:08 pm
Good luck, I hope you get it.

Check out my Avatar if you can see it...sort of a Jackson style head that's flipped.
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/14/2006 5:37 am
ok, well he refuses to sell it to me, because he says it's still his uncle's, and his uncle would kill him if he sold it. however, he says he might let me borrow it to "fix" it for him (basically, just a set up, restring, and it sounds like it needs a wire re-soldered onto the input jack) and he'll pay me for it. it would be some of my first real work getting some experience to become a luthier one day. and my first work with a floyd, period (though, apparently it's a pain in the rump to work with floyds, so that's why I need the experience!) so, I'm excited if he agrees to let me work on it.
my spyspace
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.