Metropolis PT 1 Question

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/10/2006 12:03 am
Hey. I'm learning this song, and have come quite far. My question is though, when John goes something like (I changed it cause you can't post tab),

---------------------
----------------------
-------4-1------------
-----3-----2---------4
---2---------3-----3-
-1-------------4-2---

Does he alternate pick or sweep pick it? I know how to sweep, so I'm not fishing for a sweeping lesson, but when I sweep it the notes blur. I've got crap pickups and high action which don't help either.

If you know, your advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/10/2006 4:20 pm
You could get away with alternate picking or sweeping, but it'd sound different depending on the method. If the notes are blurring together the chances are you need to work on proper muting in the process. Proper muting is a combined effort between your left hand and your right hand and takes a lot of practice to get the fingers and pick moving at the same speed. What you're shooting for is after you hit the first note, you want to lift that finger as you fret the next one. For your picking hand you want your palm to be close enough that you can dampen the strings so that any excess noise gets blocked. If you dampen too much then it'll sound palm muted, if you don't dampen enough then the notes will most likely ring out a bit and blur, and in some cases they'll cause a natural harmonic, depending on where you're fretting. It takes time, so your best bet is to take your sweet time, slow it down and make sure you're fretting it right.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/11/2006 3:11 am
Thanks for the advice. I'll work on it.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/11/2006 3:40 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyThanks for the advice. I'll work on it.

Forewarning, don't be surprised if it seems like you're making no progress. It took me about a year before I could make basic arpeggios sound clear.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
timgibson
timgibson
03/12/2006 9:41 pm
Either would work. I personally prefer sweeping. I think Petrucci would alternate pick a passage like that, he is an alternate picking stickler.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.