Can't get my strings above low tuning.

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/03/2006 11:03 pm
I got a set of .13 strings (D'Addario) the very same gauge that SRV used. Thick as hell with tone to match!

The guy behind the counter at the Guitar Center said to tighten the bridge (Floyd Rose) on my Strat, and that I probably wouldn't have to worry about the neck. So I took off the back cover and did so.

I can only get the strings tuned to low C (i.e. each string two whole steps below normal).

That isn't the problem!!! Why? I'll tell you why! Because I like it I like it!!! :D

I should mention that I previously had mid-weight/average D'Addarios and couldn't get them tuned past low D (each string one whole step down). Now that I've got the biggest ones (arrrgh!!! Biggest ones!!! Arrrgh!!!)... another entire whole step down!!!

Why can't I tune the strings any higher without them maxing out? As in *DOINK!!!* "Youch!!!" Though these new thick ones... I'm not even sure the tuners could snap the lower strings too easily... they're almost like bass strings. :eek: I'm a long-time bassist so I certainly know how to carefully and gingerly take my time as I go about restringing an instrument.

Also, it took me several days to get those .13gaugers to that low C tuning. It was excruciating. Now it sounds more bitchin' than ever, of course, just like I'd hoped.

But what gives? :confused:

I should also mention that I had to tighten the bridge all the way, because just when I was about to reach low C it started bucking a little, just like the guy warned me. So I fixed it. The neck remains straight as an arrow and not overly tense.

Finally, I should mention that I bought this Strat at a scratch-and-dent sale... what might the guy before me have done to it?
# 1
pure
pure
03/04/2006 7:04 pm
you say you have a floyd, maybe the locks are a little loose.

maybe when you tie the strings the strings overlap and that causes slippage

maybe the springs holding the floyd (im pretty sure they have springs under them) are old and they get loose every time you tighten the strings

the strings are wound, and wound strings get a little loose when you tighten them so maybe you gotta give them time.

maybe theres something wrong with your nut

thats all i can think of.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/04/2006 9:32 pm
I think I might've figured out what much, but not all of the problem was.

Guitars with Floyds on them have those locking nuts... where there's like three tiny little clamp thingies, one per every two strings.

You ain't supposed to have it tightened when you're restringing you're guitar! :eek: Oopsies!!!

I mean, you can have them tightened when you're tuning up to practice/jam/play... but not when you're restringing. Man... am I a dumb-@$$ or what? That should've been a no-brainer. Once I thought to loosen them up a bit... five times easier to turn those pegs.

Though the problem isn't totally resolved... still has such issues.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.