arpeggios

metalbob69
metalbob69
06/28/2001 5:40 am
i know what an arpeggio is i just need help on the fingering for an arpeggio when i play an arpeggio it sounds really sloppy. i need some help on this thanks
jonathan
# 1
Locrian
Locrian
07/06/2001 6:11 am
here's a cool arpeggio, but for blues not metal.

--------------------3--7--------
---------------3--6-------------
-------------4------------------
--------3--5--------------------
---2--5-------------------------
-3------------------------------

it's a G7 arpeggio, you can break it up into sections while playing in G. I had a cool minor arpeggio for you, but I forgot it just as I was about to post it, sorry. If I can remember it, i'll throw it up there.
# 2
metalbob69
metalbob69
07/06/2001 7:37 am
thanks but i need to know to bar it like a chord cause when i play it i move my fingers alot like every where when i watch yngwie he does'nt move all his fingers he has them in on postion .would like a lil more advice hehe.you should post that arp that you had :0)
jonathan
# 3
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/06/2001 6:43 pm
Try partial baring like mabee first finger down second or third for the chord position or the notes.
you can use hammer-ons sweep picking.ect ect
If you know what an arpeggio is then you could take a,
A minor chord in the first position then hammer-on the,
first note of the A minor chord then execute the rest of,
notes of the chord very fast.
you can use partial baring all over the finger board for,
arpeggio's plus locked positions useing 2 or 3 fingers ect.

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 07-06-2001 at 03:06 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 4
alexander1577
alexander1577
07/10/2001 1:23 am
Hey~
Most arpeggios are tricky, mostly because of their shape on the guitar. If you find yourself working on blues or jazz, this is even more true; they take the use of arpeggios and broken chords very seriously!
Key is, just keep tryin'. Barres and partial barres will sound sloppy at first, like the notes are running together (like playing the bottom three notes of a minor chord, at the 5th fret). The only thing i can think of that may help other than alot of patience on your part is getting to know the mechanics of the hands and fingers. When I need to sweep a partial barre, for instance, I use a combination of palm muting and I roll my finger across the barre. Say, in an a minor barre chord, at the 5th fret: if you sweep upwards, beginning at the a on the highest-sounding string, you can actually lift part of your finger from the string as your pick proceeds to the next string. Does this make sense? This will help each note ring clear. On my way down, I use palm muting to make sure the notes don't ring too long, since I can't lift my finger in that direction:)
I hope this helps, but I admit it is kinda hard to describe.

Michael
# 5
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/10/2001 5:00 pm
Yes Alexander1577

It makes since,plus its hard to describe.
(Good Job)

Mark
P:S Its alot easer to explain when you sit down with,
a student and you have your hands on your guitar,plus
the student has his guitar.
Putting it into words is very very hard.

[Edited by skee1 on 07-10-2001 at 01:12 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 6
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/12/2001 4:48 pm
Heres a very basic Arpeggio in the key of E its,
also a moveable position useing a partial bar with,
your index finger.

E[------------------7----12--]
B[--------------9------------]
G[--------------9------------]
D[--------------9------------]
A[--7---9-/-11---------------]
E[---------------------------]
1 3 1 1 4

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 7
alexander1577
alexander1577
07/12/2001 6:35 pm
There are a couple of lessons on the Wholenote web site that pertain to arpeggios and scales that I found really helpful, especially if you want to play blues or jazz. They may still help you out in other styles, though.
Go to http://www.wholenote.com/ and look under the jazz heading for the CAGED system. They are positions for scales and arpeggios that don't require outragous hand flexability- they're pretty comfortable and very versatile.

Michael
# 8
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/16/2001 3:26 pm
In order to play arpegios... you need to learn basic sweeping technique. Or you may play the up-down-up-down sequences which is not convenient or comfortable.
Fingering must be improved that is accurate picking on notes that is if your index finger is on the 2nd string you must pick the 2nd string which is easier if done in one by one slowly but to do it in a sequence of notes and in a fast tempo will be harder. Remember, practice makes perfect. This may sound harsh but it is true. So, practice your fingering in everything not just playing arpegios, you will understand until you reach the level of what fingering all about. Have you heard people mention about TOUCHING? That is the key to be able to play almost any kind of scales and skills. Arpegios is just like playing chords but in a different way as this may sound easy.

So, your right hand must be as good as your left hand. You must be good in fingering as well as your picking. If one of it does not, the whole thing sucks. Hope you understand what I mean. You heard about warm-ups and those warm-ups exercise is actually your base of your fingering and picking. Do a lot of warm up exercise, from chromatic chords, ALL-BENDING tehnique, sweeping, PULL-TAPPING, hybird picking, learn more scales, get your "hearing" perfect, and you will see some differences when you master all this. What I have mentioned is not the end and that does not meant you are already mastering everything, but you are on your way to explore the world of masters and how the played. Giving you some tab and show you how to play a scale is still not getting you no where. So, get on with your fingering and picking first. Play normal scales and get your fingering perfect as well as your picking. Do you know how to pick the right way that is to hold the pick about 45 degree downwards. Master these two and you may be able to play arpegios. Once you start, play it slowly for a couple of times, back and forth, then until you know you have perfect picking in slow tempo start increasing your picking tempo until you reach the level where you find out you are totally lost. So back from the start until you can play very well in a fast tempo. If you are born with speed, then you will be able to master arpegios very fast. One word of motivation: Be crazy when practicing and don't care how bad you practice in front of others or alone. People who can play unique sounds and tones with crazy speed are actually crazy people and one of them are Steve Vai this is why he is one of the greatest. Don't look down on classical guitarist, those who are called masters are also actually crazy people which hunger for success and satisfaction. A lot of classical masters also can play in crazy speed except their scales are different. So, I don't know what kind of scales you do prefer and if you don't have preferences that will be crazy and crazy is good. That's why I talk like crazy person which is especially guitar. Einstein does look crazy by just looking at his face and hair style but he is damn the cleverest and the most inteligent person on earth.

I'll post to this section If I need to say more...
Thanks and sorry for my english errornous.
*Aliens Understand Music*
# 9
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/23/2001 8:59 pm
If your learning Arpegio's.
Alternating picking should be first or dn up up dn ect.
Sweep picking and rakes come later thier more advanced.
I think most any guitar instructor would agree.
In sweep-picking you don't want use partial bars.
Rolling your fingers off each note is the answer.
A good place to start is just useing 3 notes on all the tec's obove.
Your left hand 9 out of 10 is faster than your right hand.
Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 07-23-2001 at 05:24 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 10
metalbob69
metalbob69
08/07/2001 10:51 pm
thanks alot guys for the help :0)
jonathan
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.