what does tone do?

mxh
mxh
02/18/2006 5:44 am
Im new to electric guitar a i was wondering what tone does it makes the sound different but whats the point of it?

Thanks
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/18/2006 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: mxhIm new to electric guitar a i was wondering what tone does it makes the sound different but whats the point of it?

Thanks

Tone IS the point. Your tone is your sound. Clean tone, Overdriven tone, I could go on and on 'cause there are alot of different tones, then there are different variations in those tones depending on what your EQ is set to on your amp for any given model or channel. What I mean by model is, some amps have amp modeling units in them like the Line 6 spider II series. Each model can sound different depending on the EQ settings. As for channels, My B-52 all tube head has three channels, one clean and two overdriven. Each of these will sound different depending on the EQ settings. EQ settings are your bass, mid, and treble knobs, plus gain knobs. Some people can be identified by their tone, like SRV for example, and Slash is another good example.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/18/2006 6:15 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraAlso, on that switch thing on your guitar, move it to different positions whilst playing a single note and listen to how the sound, or the tone, changes slightly in each position.

If you're new to the electric guitar, then you might have trouble hearing it at first. I couldn't tell the difference with my tone knob all the way up OR down when I first got my guitar. I couldn't even tell when my reverb was cranked! The longer you play, the more you will be able to hear the difference, especially with very small differences, like only one number on the tone dial.
# 3
pure
pure
02/18/2006 9:45 pm
yea, basically what everybody says. to me , the tone knob on the guitar (if thats what you're talking about, next to the volume knob),

if its on 10 or the highest number on the knob, it sounds more *real*. if you have it on 0, then it sounds kinda fake, like its artificial, like its coming from a computer almost. when your ear gets better youll start to nitice every single tone difference when you have the tone knob up and down, when you have the pickup switch on different positions, and your amp Equalizer settings.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.