New Gear!

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
02/17/2006 11:54 pm
Yeh! I am finally getting some new gear.My mom said she would lend me some money to get a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Marshall Half Stack.I can't wait.
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2006 12:56 am
Tell her to cuff me a few dollars to man woo hoo!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
StevenN
StevenN
02/18/2006 12:59 am
wow thats really nice of your parents....i wish i could fool my parents into giving me money...what marshall are you looking to get??
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/18/2006 7:29 am
wtf? no fair. back in my day, our parents didn't lend us money to buy new gear, we had to go get jobs......... oh wait, we still are back in my day. yeah. my mom once told me she would lend me $700 to buy a marshall MG100DFX stack, because playing at band practice/shows with my 15W johnson wasn't cutting it. then my dad stepped in, said "no way jose" and so I had to use close to every penny I had saved up in the bank to buy a fender fm212r instead. loud little devil that amp was. anyways, I don't think I'll ever buy a $1000+ guitar, especially a gibson, it's just so overpriced. as long as you are going to be spending that kind of money, I would sooner go to a luthier and have one custom built to my exact specifications, and it would probably cost less then $2000. probably more in the $1000-1500 range, depending on how fancy I want it... anyways, I hope that the marshall stack you are getting is at least a tube amp, if not, then don't get it. if you were going to get the MG100DFX, which is like $700, don't. use that $700 and get yourself a tube combo, I can guarentee it will sound better, and probably be just as loud, if not louder. I love my peavey XXX super 40 EFX to death, and I got it for $500.. it was on sale though, it usually costs $950.. but you could always even get one of those marshall JCM combo amps.. though it'll probably be more then $700..
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
02/18/2006 4:14 pm
yea i want a Marshall AVT150XH with a AVT4x12 . Yea its not a tube amp but I'm experimenting with amps at the minute so im gonna try this one out and then if it don't work out, i might try a tube amp. Im going to the music store soon tho so it might change my mind. Anyway i havent got anything to loose, it's not my money! :D

*Edit: Been to the music store and have decided that i want a JCM2000 DSL100 (tube!!!!!!!!) and a JCM900 1960 cab. Just one question tho .. dont you have to change tubes every now and then? and how much do they cost? are they easy to put in? what are the best kind? O.K thats 4 questions but i gotta know. And another one ... a tube amp sounds muddy when its low .. is there a way to get around that?

BTW i was gonna get a bunch of effects but i cant now because this amp is so much more money :mad:
Im not O f****n K.
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/18/2006 6:57 pm
Tubes are a gamble. They can last 10 minutes or 75 years. Who knows? It all depends on how hard you push them and what quality they are. A 4 pack of power tubes would set you back just over 100$ and preamp tubes are about 7$ each. Yes they are easy to change, pull old ones out, push new ones in.

You have to look around the price a bit and say, "look what I'll be getting for a few more dollars". Get the DSL man, They are a great amp and sound awesome with a Les Paul.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/18/2006 7:08 pm
I'd definately get the DSL, don't worry about effects, you won't have much need for them with an amp that sounds that good by itself. I've tried a TSL, and it's amazing sounding. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for a very long time. as for tubes, apparently they do need to be changed out every few years, but as tele_master said, it could be 10 minutes or 75 years. I wouldn't realy worry about it too much, it's not like you'll be going through tubes in an amp the way you go through strings on a guitar.

and yes, if it sounds muddy at low volumes, there is a way to get around it, it's called an attenuator (or something like that) it allows you to crank the amp up to get the sound you want, but the volume output won't be near as high. it'll run you another $300 or so though :rolleyes:

so just why is your mom doing this for you anyway? I mean, right now, between the marshall stack and the les paul, you are coming close to the price of my car :eek: that's just odd that your mom would lend you several thousand dollars.. are your parents rich?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 7
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
02/18/2006 7:15 pm
no lol there not, i wish. im England so its gonna be about £1500 and i dont know why but my mom just offered me it so I said yea of course. Another question before I buy it though. How do you you know when your tubes have gone? just it just stop working? how do you no what tube has gone?
Im not O f****n K.
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/18/2006 8:29 pm
so just why is your mom doing this for you anyway? I mean, right now, between the marshall stack and the les paul, you are coming close to the price of my car :eek: that's just odd that your mom would lend you several thousand dollars.. are your parents rich?[/QUOTE]

My Les Paul cost 200$ more than my car.. :D
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.