Debate forum?

earthman buck
earthman buck
02/16/2006 2:10 am
Well, there was that heated debate over tolerance that encompassed all of today and yesterday. There was also that religion one, and undoubtedly a pantload more before I joined the site. Why not have a debate section of the forum, where people can argue about non-music related crap? What I mean is, nothing like "Who's better, Vai or Satch?" because those go nowhere. What do you guys think?
# 1
stackny
stackny
02/16/2006 2:26 am
Well, that would make sense, but theres one problem. Most of the threads that break into debate really arent even controversial to begin with. Who wouldve thought the infamous "and thats it?" wouldve sprung into 86 pages and turned into a creation vs evolution debate. Good thought though.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/16/2006 2:55 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyWell, that would make sense, but theres one problem. Most of the threads that break into debate really arent even controversial to begin with. Who wouldve thought the infamous "and thats it?" wouldve sprung into 86 pages and turned into a creation vs evolution debate. Good thought though.

HA HA! Exactly why I love GT! :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/16/2006 2:57 am
And isn't that kinda why we have the open discussion section? For everything that's not guitar related?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2006 3:12 am
The higher ups are worried about the conduct some people exude during these kind of debates and while the Pet Peeves one was not at all bad the one with stackny and 6strngs in the I'm feeling evil thread got uncivilized quick. These things are really not important in teaching guitar which I think is the main goal of our admins and instructors. While I would be all for a Debate Forum and first in line to step forward and moderate it I think it might not be in the sites best interest. Sure we could go to another forum and debate our asses off but how are we supposed to know who the debaters from GT are? I for one like hearing everyone's opinion on things. I guess if a debate forum is created the tagline below could read: Enter at own risk! Heated debate inside. or something like that. Who knows? Let's see what Jon thinks. I don't think we have a good chance though guys. Here's why:

Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickHi, I am webmaster for this site.

It isn't surprising that this topic caused a lot of conflict.

We run a guitar site here, we don't want to run a religious controversy site.

If you want to talk about this, I found a forum for it here:

http://forums.vteen.com/index.php?showforum=12

This thread is closed.

Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
sailorjim
sailorjim
02/16/2006 3:55 am
The debate part is kind of neat even though its not guitar related. First thing is everyone here comes frome very different back grounds. Diffrent countries, different religions, diffrent ideas, and diffrent guitar styles. But we all have one thing in common. The desire to get better at the guitar. Why not become a better human being in the process.. Some of the people here have never left there home town. And to have a guy from US, Spain, Eygpt, France, England, India or Schmange City, Christain, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddist, Wine O or what ever give you his view only expands the mind. At least it keeps us off the streets from blowing one another up..
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2006 1:53 pm
People are free to debate whatever they want, providing they stick to the forum rules.

Problem is, people don't and then get all upset when the rules are enforced.

That ends up with people getting banned.

Moderators and forum rules exist for good reason and that reason is to ensure that the GT forum doesn't become an exercise in mud-slinging where all useful information is lost in flame wars, spam and personal vendettas.

There are plenty of mud slinging forums on the web and if that is your desire, I'd suggest going there and staying put.

If you want to troll, flame people and spam the place up, don't come here as you will be banned.

The reason people have gotten into trouble recently is not the subject matter of the posts, but that they have forgotten to abide by the forum rules i.e. no spamming, trolling and flaming.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
02/16/2006 4:11 pm
Yep, debates usually just happen. That's why I [U]usually[/U] stay out of the topics that are not guitar related. Everyone's opinion is gonna offend someone else. Then on top of that, it's hard to express emotion or whatever you want to call it with typed text, so most of the time it's just a mis-understanding.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/16/2006 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKYep, debates usually just happen. That's why I [U]usually[/U] stay out of the topics that are not guitar related. Everyone's opinion is gonna offend someone else. Then on top of that, it's hard to express emotion or whatever you want to call it with typed text, so most of the time it's just a mis-understanding.

Yeah, I s'pose you're right.
# 9
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/16/2006 7:55 pm
Thats what the smilies are for :D .
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/17/2006 2:59 am
Ya, just adding to what everyone is saying. The debate is great, until it turns into personal attacks, and that's not what this site is about.

Unlike most forums, people don't treat eachother like shiz around here, and it would be nice to keep it that way.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/17/2006 9:27 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyYa, just adding to what everyone is saying. The debate is great, until it turns into personal attacks, and that's not what this site is about.

Unlike most forums, people don't treat eachother like shiz around here, and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Yeah, some of the debates have gotten pretty heated. Though I was kinda surprised that we managed to keep the And that's it debate as mature as we did. Sure it landed a few childish jabs, but really it didn't go over board and as I recall we'd made sure we all knew it was in good fun. I do recall a debate or two later about politics or something that didn't exactly live up to the maturity of previous debates. And I wasn't exactly helping the situation. I have, through these debates, learned that the only thing Stackny and I have in common is that we both play guitar.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/18/2006 3:40 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretions And I wasn't exactly helping the situation. I have, through these debates, learned that the only thing Stackny and I have in common is that we both play guitar.

Ya, and in my youthful innocence, I truly believe ignorance is bliss. I'm much happier knowing people for their good, and become extremely disillusioned when presented by their imperfections.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2006 4:13 am
I'm all for debates on any subject that anybody wants to discuss.
The hassle that usually happens is when you guys start breaking the forum rules.
For instance... there's no problem at all in discussing stuff like religion, hate subjects in general like the recent cartoon wars, arguments about sex or religion etc....
The problem that happens is when you break the forum rules. (general usenet rules)
We don't want to censor anybody's opinion and don't want to interfere in anybody's way of thinking.
The problems are going to start when you start doing things like personally attacking somebody, using obscene language, or being totally obectionable...
If you have an opinion on a subject... no matter what it is... there's a way to go about doing it without breaking forum rules.
There's a an intelligent way to put your argument across without personally attacking somebody or using bad language.
For instance... "you suck.... " or "you're an asshole" or anything similar to that type of attitude is going to get you banned.
However if you phrase it as "I don't agree with your reasoning"... and then state your opinion... you'll be fine as far as the forum rules are concerned.

I guess the message here is, don't push our buttons.... state your opinion in an intelligent way and make your argument based on the facts and not a personal attack against somebody you don't agree with, and you'll be fine.
However, if you start being argumentative and attacking somebody else based on their opinions... or if you start using bad language that keeps setting off the language filter.... you're going to get banned.

Like I've said before.... there's dozens of moderators who work for us who regularly scan these forums for content. We have an administrators forum of our own where we discuss certain members and the way they're acting..
If it gets to the point where somebody is pissing us off, then you're going to get banned. And I don't just mean that your user name is going to be banned... it's any IP address you've ever used to access this site...and any suspicion we have that you're signing up under an alias.

If you break the rules consistently, and post messages that are blatantly racist, sexist or just generally against most usenet rules, we will also file an abuse complaint with your ISP. This is when things get serious.
You'll not only get banned from Guitartricks, but banned from the internet entirely.
# 14
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/18/2006 5:20 am
I think debates keep this forum a energized place. Even though I dont like how come people think they own the boards, debates are the funnest things to read here. :o
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.