Looking for advice before final studio mix

Superhuman
Superhuman
02/13/2006 10:43 am
Hi fellas,

Was in the studio yesterday and I managed to get a track down. The levels are WAY out in places, pissed that one of the solos (a particularly difficult one) is almost inaudable (about 3/4 the way through)... but all guitar levels (including rhythms and harmonies) will be fixed up in a few days, luckily I have a mixing session sorted later this week.

I've decided not to put any delays on the leads either, so the tone will change significantly. Looking for opinions on how to tackle the lead tones. I was thinking of thickening them through EQ without adding any other effects (except maybe a little reverb and chorus). The leads went arse ways during the bounce down because we ran them out from the mix into an Eventide Eclipse for compression then back into the desk. Unfortunately the solos all got bounced to one track so the levels went out the window. Easily fixed though.

I'm also adding a church choir to certain parts along with symphonic strings for atmosphere. Any other suggestions or comments before I go back for the final mix?

One cool thing about this track was that I went in to the studio with a very basic structure and ended up making up a few new riffs and a new solo on the spot. That's what happens when you have a baby at home, no time for practice!

Here's the link: Superhuman - "Beyond Our Universe" rough mix 1

Thanks!
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/14/2006 12:39 pm
One other thing. I can change any of the drum parts if they don't suit. I can't tell anymore cos I've been listening to them for too damn long...
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/14/2006 10:02 pm
I like the guitars alot. The snare maybe could be a little different sounding. Some ambient stuff to fill out the mix isn't a bad idea at all.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/14/2006 10:08 pm
Yeah, not sure about the snare either. Just before the bouncedown we sent it out for compression too and added a little reverb. I still want it to sound like a real kit but not like every other kit out there. WE'll be experimenting with it in the final mix anyway so it's sure to sound different. Thanks for checking it out.
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/15/2006 12:47 am
Sounds great to me. Awsome playing as usual. Personally, I might would spread the rythm track out from center a bit more, because right now, the drums, bass, and rythm guitar seem like they're all fighting for the center channel. Tonewise, everything sounded nice. Great work!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/15/2006 12:26 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaSounds great to me. Awsome playing as usual. Personally, I might would spread the rythm track out from center a bit more, because right now, the drums, bass, and rythm guitar seem like they're all fighting for the center channel. Tonewise, everything sounded nice. Great work!

Yeah, I'll definitely get the guitars more spaced out in the mix... 100% pans for the rhythms, 80% for the main harmonies with minor counter parts at 70%, then bass 0 pan with leads flowing slightly to either side. I'll leave the kit to the engineers to put together as he deems fit. Thanks for checking it out.

CW14, thanks for the comments too, appreciate it. I'll post back the final version after the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how the choir and strings work out.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.