I'm in a rut AAAHHHH

hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/08/2006 2:12 am
It never fails, been working on theory, sight reading, working quite a bit on bluesy SRV type riffs but just can't write anything bluesy to save myself. Its starting to get depressing. All I can write (only fairly well) is heavy stuff. I really love the blues, I can pull off some good licks, but to write a cool tune, the brain stops. I must say though, I did buy a Muddy Waters greatest hits CD this weekend and I am trying to emulate some of the harmonica playing, that may add fuel to the fire............................ :(
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/08/2006 3:40 am
I would suggest you might take a break for a day or so and then go at it again. Sounds like the music version of writers block. :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
sailorjim
sailorjim
02/08/2006 4:56 am
Originally Posted by: hbkolbIt never fails, been working on theory, sight reading, working quite a bit on bluesy SRV type riffs but just can't write anything bluesy to save myself. Its starting to get depressing. All I can write (only fairly well) is heavy stuff. I really love the blues, I can pull off some good licks, but to write a cool tune, the brain stops. I must say though, I did buy a Muddy Waters greatest hits CD this weekend and I am trying to emulate some of the harmonica playing, that may add fuel to the fire............................ :(

I tried this a few weeks ago. I really don't know why I tried it. I don't even know where the thought came from.. But it was a brain storm. "Word association" First don't worry about the melody.. Write down the topic of the song. Then write down a list of words or phrases that associate with the topic. In about an hour you will have the rough draft of a song. Blues is real easy to do this with... I look at the lyrics as like playing the solo on the guitar, Phrase and answer to the phrase,Phrase and answer to the phrase.. I might of read that somewhere... But it worked when I tried it... good luck..
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
# 3
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
02/08/2006 5:01 am
Thanks for the input guys, I really do appreciate it!!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.