Stuck in my playing

EricJ1186
The Crimson King
EricJ1186
The Crimson King
02/07/2006 6:36 am
Well, I am not really a beginner, but I have found an issue I need to address. While I have been growing exponentionally in theory and what not, it seems I am down right dead on the song repetoire side. So I decided to add some songs via Tablature (I prefer to learn by ear, but my ear is still developing) and I realized that I really have trouble learning other people's songs. I can improvise quite well and I can write original stuff, but for some reason, I can't get the hang of playing off Tab or by Ear. Anyone can give me some idea how how to over come this hurtle? It seems when I play by Tab my timing is nonexistant and sounds NOTHING like the song no matter what Tab I choose and when I play by ear I am off typically a half step and no where near on chords. So what can I do to grow vertically?
# 1
MarkTiarra
MarkTiarra
02/08/2006 6:15 am
Well from the tabs, that's hard to say... they don't show you the rhythm and timing of the notes so you'd have to know the song well.

But from ear you can do a little excersize I like:

Play a few notes here and there on the guitar to get your ear "warmed up." Then pick a string and a fret and try to hear the note in your head before you play it. Get used to anticipating what the note is going to sound like before you play it. The maybe play like an open high E followed by a G on the third fret. Now you have a minor third in your head. Play an A on the fifth fret and try to hear the 8th note C in your head before you play it.

Do this here and there throughout the week and your ear will really start to strengthen up and your playing and improv will start making leaps and bounds as you get good at hearing entire parts in your head before you play them.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/08/2006 6:40 am
Try finding some powertab software on the net. Some sites like ultimateguitar have powertab scores that show timing a nd rythm as well as everything else. What's more is the software plays the song with midi so you can hear it as well.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
sailorjim
sailorjim
02/08/2006 1:06 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaTry finding some powertab software on the net. Some sites like ultimateguitar have powertab scores that show timing a nd rythm as well as everything else. What's more is the software plays the song with midi so you can hear it as well.

I use Guitar Pro. It really helps me out with timing, 1, you can hear it through Midi. 2. If you know music notation you can it shows the timing of the notes, 3. In lots of cases it will give you all the guitar parts , keyboard and drums.. They also have a slew of lessons available.. There is a free demo version. The software if you want to buy it , which I did is $60.00 cheap investment..
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
# 4
EricJ1186
The Crimson King
EricJ1186
The Crimson King
02/09/2006 4:07 am
I think I was just incredibily frustrated from not being able to play songs and haven't felt motivated to play since that happened. I'll try out some power tabs stuff and I also found stuff to slow actual songs down.

Anyone can explain how to write in PowerTab?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.