Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/05/2006 7:47 am
Originally Posted by: zodo100Hi guys
how do you proceed to learn a tough lick or a solo
from the first time you listen to it until you have it right

thanks

The best way, for me, is to find the tab, play it a few times slow, as slow as you have to. Then listen to the song and try to play with it. Repeat as necessary. I also like guitar pro, and tab power. These programs let you listen to the song, a midi version, and see the tab at the same time.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
sailorjim
sailorjim
02/05/2006 7:59 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaThe best way, for me, is to find the tab, play it a few times slow, as slow as you have to. Then listen to the song and try to play with it. Repeat as necessary. I also like guitar pro, and tab power. These programs let you listen to the song, a midi version, and see the tab at the same time.

I do the same as bigbuda. Depending on the song. I use either, Guitar Pro, or guitar port. Guitar port if there is no tab available lets you slow down the lick to half speed and loop it.. (with the real music.) Guitar pro is nice also that progam you can find whole arragements. But it is midi sound... So some times I will take Sonar a lay a drum track down. Put the bass line down, do the rythym guitars then I play with the lead. This technic really will show your weak spots... cause you can hear emm. An some times they are darn ugly..
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
# 3
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/06/2006 2:17 am
this is gonna be totally un-orthodox.

When I first started playing guitar, there were like a million licks I wanted to learn. Lets just take the lick from Battery by Metallica. That little run he plays between the 2nd and 3rd bar. When I first started to play it, or attempt, it was FAILURE. I couldnt even stretch the pull-offs properly. Anyway, this was a pattern for all licks/solos I wanted to learn.

Yet, when I physically could not play them, I would practice on the techniques that are involved in playing the phrases and took them on heavily. Since most of the earlier licks I was interested were all legato runs, I cornered the style of legato and focused on mastering that technique in a whole. After about like 5 months (yes I know its a long time) I ran across Battery again and was able to nail it by looking at the tab once.

So if your really haveing trouble playing somthing that you CANT do, dont keep nagging that specific solo or lick, but rather the foundation the phrase it built upon. That way, if you ever see a lick similar to that one, it will be just as easy.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 4
axemaster911
axemaster911
02/13/2006 10:39 pm
Theres a million diffrent songs, and song parts I want to learn, but here I am stuck at 998,999. The one sure thing I stick to is work on one, or two at a time, and dont stop, or move on till you finish. Wether you use TAB, or just rewinding the tape over, and over, or mabby some parts you get from a friend. I say this because I know for a fact that all the material in my bag of tricks has stuck there from taking the time to really study, and learn the music completely, and then move on to the next project. Once you understand the piece your learning, and practice it to completion, "BAM" its In your head, and aint going nowhere: unless your memorys as bad as mine!
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/14/2006 11:11 am
The way to learn a tough lick is first to be able to grasp the pattern or shape that your fingers have to do crossing the fretboard. Trying to work out the tab without being able to see the pattern and rhythm in a particular run is next to impossible. After that it's just a matter of playing it slowly then building it up to the correct tempo. Playing guitar is similar to sports in terms of the learning process, visualisation helps a lot. It has been proven that if your visualise yourself doing something over and over in your mind before actually doing it, you will be able to execute the action more accurately. Sounds a bit far out but it works, I have very little time for practice at all these days so I use this method a lot. Of course you have to practice playing the licks too!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.