View post (Solo or lick)

View thread

alucard0941
alucard0941
02/06/2006 2:17 am
this is gonna be totally un-orthodox.

When I first started playing guitar, there were like a million licks I wanted to learn. Lets just take the lick from Battery by Metallica. That little run he plays between the 2nd and 3rd bar. When I first started to play it, or attempt, it was FAILURE. I couldnt even stretch the pull-offs properly. Anyway, this was a pattern for all licks/solos I wanted to learn.

Yet, when I physically could not play them, I would practice on the techniques that are involved in playing the phrases and took them on heavily. Since most of the earlier licks I was interested were all legato runs, I cornered the style of legato and focused on mastering that technique in a whole. After about like 5 months (yes I know its a long time) I ran across Battery again and was able to nail it by looking at the tab once.

So if your really haveing trouble playing somthing that you CANT do, dont keep nagging that specific solo or lick, but rather the foundation the phrase it built upon. That way, if you ever see a lick similar to that one, it will be just as easy.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!